Omnisphere - worth $500?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Omnisphere 1

Stylus RMX shows up in Omnisphere?
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

I do NOT like turnips!

Eeeewwww....yuck!!!
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

bulvanskägg wrote:
trimph1 wrote:Well....one can read the entire thread but, you know, it won't make a stick of difference.

If someone has to ask what it would be worth to them maybe they should do a search and see what can do?

Or is that too much to ask?
Do you know what? Nobody has to ask for your permission to ask questions on this forum, honey.
Moreover, why, if people aren't interested in the subject of the thread, why are they bothering to post in the thread. As I've said, people seem offended that someone question the value of omnisphere.

Because of the endless attempts to curtail conversation in these threads, it's actually quite difficult to find useful information. So, in fact, the reality is that it IS too much to ask to expect people to wade through all of the whining and gushing just to find out the technical details that a few people provide.

gremlinmoon wrote:I think the price point is priced against Romplers -- not Zebra, Alchemy, etc...

For less than $1200 usd ($500 Omni, $400 Stylus RMX and $300 Trilian) you can have a Rompler killer and still get to use the controller and DAW of your choice -- for less than any new Rompler in the market -- and designed by the guy who popularized the Rompler sound. For less than $500 you can have its guts in the form of Omnisphere. NI does the same thing with Komplete. FXpansion also is similar with their product line. Cheap compared to hardware.
That might sound good in theory, but if you look through even this thread, you will see that Omnisphere doesn't have the kinds of basic sounds that people expect from a rompler, so it's hardly a rompler killer. I would argue that products like Halion Sonic do a better job of being a "rompler killer."

I think that for those kinds of sounds I like the attention to detail in Kontakt patches, but, I use Halion Sonic SE a lot because it feels more like a Rompler.

In any case, I don't personally buy into the comparison to hardware justification for pricing, I never have. That was a common justification when plugins first came out and were seriously overpriced, plugins have their advantages, but they aren't hardware. That's exactly why software doesn't cost as much as it used to. Software doesn't have the ACTUAL costs of hardware and so new vendors can enter the market and undercut the competition. If there were actual hardware costs, this wouldn't be so easy to do. Also, the very same arguments that people claim give omnisphere value, e.g. that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts, also applies to romplers, the integration of hardware and software has value.

ghettosynth wrote:
brekehan wrote:I'm looking to buy new toys and try to get some different instruments in my arsenal. One synth I have heard peers mention is Omnisphere. Everyone seems to own it. However, at a $500 price tag on the Spectronics site, it seems ludricrously expensive compared to synth purchases in the past. What warrants such a price?
Because it's amazing.
What makes this synth unique?
It's amazing.
What kind of envelopes do you have? 4 sliders or draw in like Fm8?
Amazing envelopes.
Am I going to make sounds with this that I can't make in Sylenth, Massive, FM8, or Absynth?
You are going to make amazing sounds.
Why?
Because it's amazing, duh!
Oh sure. You came in with this as your first post. And you want to tell others how to behave? :dog: :lol: :lol: Oh, and claiming sarcasm here doesn't cut it. :?

First. I would not buy it from them directly. There are a lot of music stores that carry it at below MSRP.

Second. As a Rompler it also comes with its own VA synth engine.

Third. One can haz both.

Forth. You might. Depends.

Well...that is a hard one for me to answer. All I can say is that I bought it to add to my sound design arsenal.... :oops: :)
Barry

We are aware of your every move!

hibidy wrote:Image

We are aware of your every move!
:lol: :lol:
Barry

trimph1 wrote: Oh sure. You came in with this as your first post. And you want to tell others how to behave? :dog: :lol: :lol: Oh, and claiming sarcasm here doesn't cut it. :?
My posts are a work of art man, get your eyes checked.

Break down Omnisphere into parts and decided how much each is worth just on its own. I would give simply the stacking feature and play modes atleast a 40 dollar value. Think plugin chainer... Might be fun for someone first sipping there cup of coffee. :lol:
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

ghettosynth wrote:
trimph1 wrote: Oh sure. You came in with this as your first post. And you want to tell others how to behave? :dog: :lol: :lol: Oh, and claiming sarcasm here doesn't cut it. :?
My posts are a work of art man, get your eyes checked.
You got caught out...heeheehee :P
Barry

ghettosynth wrote:
gremlinmoon wrote: In any case, I don't personally buy into the comparison to hardware justification for pricing, I never have. That was a common justification when plugins first came out and were seriously overpriced, plugins have their advantages, but they aren't hardware.
I personally agree with you there, I was more commenting on their "market positioning."

A couple asides:
I think that because there is a "collect em' all" addictive quality to VSTs and that there are so many devs who have the bug/romance/dream to make them that the prices had to move lower. Not that I am complaining, but
if I had the math and cs skills to make a really unique and premium VST I would feel disappointed to let them walk out the door for the prices they are going at.

Diego Stocco, the "psychoacoustic" designer for Omnisphere, has started a pro video series (along with his Youtube videos) were he shows you how to create the sounds that he does. Glen O/Greenoak, the DSP-side programmer has had Crystal as freeware for a long-time. To that end, they are not keeping what they do shrouded behind a a very high paywall. I think with the somewhat recent launch of the video series and some updates to Crystal that the next Omnisphere update is done and that housekeeping and polishing is what remains.

Will they allow user-sample import? STEAM is a velocity-layered sampler so I cant see them wanting to have only a single layer of audio import available -- it wouldn't play nice with the rest of the native sounds . On the other hand, I cant see them releasing a proprietary editor that allows velocity layers. I also cant see them creating an open source visual/GUI-based sfz editor. Both would be too major of an undertaking. My guess is that they will go like the EWQL Play engine -- free to have (or after purchase of Omnisphere) and continual free updates, but the sound libraries are proprietary and for individual sale.

Worth $500.00?
During Black Friday and Holiday sales?
Definitely not.

At this point, being there is no real sale available and NAMM is just a couple of months away.
It would be foolish to even consider it for even the online $420.00 discount price.

Ask again in February 2015 (if) Spectrasonics announces anything new in January (if) it will be worth the 420.

BBFG# wrote:Worth $500.00?
During Black Friday and Holiday sales?
Definitely not.

At this point, being there is no real sale available and NAMM is just a couple of months away.
It would be foolish to even consider it for even the online $420.00 discount price.

Ask again in February 2015 (if) Spectrasonics announces anything new in January (if) it will be worth the 420.
That is a big IF as well.

I think my $335 including hst was a better value than even $420 :)
Barry

mysticvibes wrote:Stylus RMX shows up in Omnisphere?
no. no stylus RMX in Omnisphere. two separate products that do not work together.

Trillian can be loaded inside of Omnisphere, those 2 products work together.

Return to “Instruments”