Nexus vs Kontakt vs Goliath

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Everyone gets to make one of these threads once in a lifetime right? :wink:

So over the next 12 months I'll be adding a select number of products to my home studio.

I'm after a sampler which can primarily do Orchestral work for me, and second can do bass guitar sounds. Here is my pros and cons of each, I wonder if anyone can chime in and help me settle this.

Goliath: Ticks all my orchestral boxes. Does bass guitar. Heard the sampler is outdated and a CPU hog. Cheapest option is good.

Kontakt: Have to fork out $700 for Komplete10 bloatware or get ripped off buying kontakt by itself. Endless expansion and amazing 3rd party libraries. Scarbee Jay Bass has all my bass guitars covered. Buying orchestral sounds from here gets expensive. Super pricey option.

Nexus: Have used it before, prior to going straight. Simple rompler, with Hollywood Strings, Dance Orchestra, and Guitar addon it does everything I want. $750 to get it set up, seems about right but its very simplistic for the price.

So there you have it. Having written that up I'm leaning towards goliath! But I have fond memories of Nexus, and If I can avoid having a single NI product in my studio I will be happy. Screw their marketing and sales team.

Thanks.

Just an FYI I think still works for Kontakt. Get Drum'ica for free and install Kontakt free player from Drum'ica. Upgrade during an upgrade sale to full Kontakt for about $125. I'm biased since I've done a couple hundred Kontakt freebies, but it really does open up a massive world that nothing else does.
I was tempted by Goliath but everything non-PR I read is that it is old and works poorly.

Here is the current list of qualifying cross grades for Kontakt 5 from NI's web site:

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/pr ... ade-offer/

There are quite a few excellent instruments there, many which can be found on sale from time-to-time for under $100. I am hoping for a Komplete upgrade sale sometime soon; I am still running version 9.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

Sehnheiser - DrumMic'a! is on the list so it should work! Thanks for that link.

Gotta admit I'd love to try the new pianos in K10, but broke right now.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”