CONTROL "M" please let me know if I can proceed switching to Bitwig

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi guys,
I am really interested in making the switch to Bitwig, but the issue holding me back thus far is the controller assignment ideology,
I just need someone to confirm for me, if its going to be possible to make random controller assignments to my UC-33 e, without any scripting etc, I dont want so much setup involved and It is more important that every single song have its' own controller assignments, which are being made in realtime, "on the fly," while I am writing the song. Is this possible? each song must have its'own controller assigments and they must be saved in each song file.
Please let me know. thanks in advance!

Right click something, choose "Learn controller assignment". Done. Scripting just allows you to do the more powerful side of things, but there are TONS of scripts included with Bitwig already. And yes, controller assignments will be saved to the project.

My advice is to download Bitwig from the site and give it a try. It doesn't contain any nasty protections that'll screw up your system (one of key points for me, I'm sick of overly intrusive and buggy protections screwing up my system). The demo allows full use of everything and the only restriction is saving and exporting projects is not allowed. You can REALLY get a good feel for the program.

I would give it a go, once I did, I didn't go back ;)
Formally known as CnuTram.

morerecords wrote: I just need someone to confirm for me, if its going to be possible to make random controller assignments to my UC-33 e, without any scripting etc..
You don't need scripting for controller assignments. Period.

Can you also map the transport buttons?

gwest wrote:Can you also map the transport buttons?
Usually you don't have to as this comes with the Generic controller script.

Thanks for your replies.
Just one more question- once I make a knob assignment, can I then edit each assignment from within bitwig? For example, to limit the amount/bandwidth of a given knob and its associated parameter?
So as an example, I asign a fader to a volume parameter of a synth in bitwig- but i want the hardware fader, when it is 100% up, to mean the volume knob of the synth = -12db.

So, the range of the control is modifiable once I make the assignment to a given knob or fader... If that makes sense... Is this possible? Thanks again. Geez I hope this will work. I have a tried and true method for working but I would love to have actual PDC that is fully functioning...

morerecords wrote:Thanks for your replies.
Just one more question- once I make a knob assignment, can I then edit each assignment from within bitwig? For example, to limit the amount/bandwidth of a given knob and its associated parameter?
So as an example, I asign a fader to a volume parameter of a synth in bitwig- but i want the hardware fader, when it is 100% up, to mean the volume knob of the synth = -12db.

So, the range of the control is modifiable once I make the assignment to a given knob or fader... If that makes sense... Is this possible? Thanks again. Geez I hope this will work. I have a tried and true method for working but I would love to have actual PDC that is fully functioning...
Absolutely makes sense, and the answer is yes it can be done, and here is how:
1. Each Device is either built-in or VSt, and for either you geta representation of the knobs, + 8 macro knobs.
2. You assign when you move the knob on the VST gui, you get an equivalent kob for that device on the device panel. Presssing the "2 arrows" icon" at the left panel of the device to expand a MACRO section, you get 8 macro knobs.. now these can do exactly what you want. By (a) assigning any of these 8 macros to one or more of the device knobs (at which stage you assign the span or range that the VST/device knob can move within), and then (b) right-clicking the marco knob to assign the macro knob to the hardware controller, you can achieve your goal.

Having said that please note that there some rare VST's that still don't map to Bitwig; I am currently struggling with FXpansion's Geist.
Edit:
OK I managed.. It's the same story as Spectrasonics VST's; saving JUST the parameter mappings is not enough! Save in a preset and the parameter mappings would save with it.. hmm.
Bitwig Studio 1.1.1 RC1

Return to “Bitwig”