Most creepy, dark, evil, sinister sounding free synths?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Synths that (almost) send chills down your spine sound-wise when messing with them on the fly?

Xen-arts FMTS falls into this category, aswell as a lot of HGF synths and Gargoyle by Krakli for example.

Are there any other free ones that are like this?

Monstrous by Supersynths but we're still waiting for version 2 since a year or so... :shrug:

A bit offtopic: It's only my opinion, but i never really got the grip on HGF synths for example. I like to have control over what i do, not press a button, and let the music play. Of course it can be inspiring to experiment, but if the synth itself takes away the experimenting for you, you won't be able to reproduce it properly. Of course, each to its own, it's only my opinion, but with the right skills, you can make any synth do dark, evil, or happy and cheerful. And you will have learned a lot in the meantime.

I'd look for soundsets, too, for eample from Daniel Kemp:

http://westgatesounds.net

With them, you can even get creepy sounds out of the Wusikstation and Rhino!

Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

chk071 wrote:A bit offtopic: It's only my opinion, but i never really got the grip on HGF synths for example. I like to have control over what i do, not press a button, and let the music play. Of course it can be inspiring to experiment, but if the synth itself takes away the experimenting for you, you won't be able to reproduce it properly. Of course, each to its own, it's only my opinion, but with the right skills, you can make any synth do dark, evil, or happy and cheerful. And you will have learned a lot in the meantime.
That's exactly what I love about HGFortune synths: You change some parameters, load a few soundfonts or even WAV in a few synths, or you press some randomize buttons, and you'll get completely new sounds!

Of course, if you want to recreate a supersaw with them, you won't achieve that in a HGF synth that easily like in Massive. But that's not what the HGF synths are aimed at. They're made for ambient or industrial music, not for dance or club songs!

What are you looking for? 32-bit? 64-bit? I assume from those you listed you are looking for VSTs?

Not only plugins, but you could also check out samples - there are a lot of companies give away free soundsets that are aimed at the darker side of composing.

The Nightmare Machine by Darkware (32 bit SE) and The Hands Of Darkness by Novuzeit.

:evil:
Last edited by thecontrolcentre on Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Metaphysical Function.
Cloud Atlas.
Alchemy Player.

Native Instruments Skanner.

https://soundcloud.com/xorxist/skanner

Skanner + Live's compressor + Loudmax.

Tricky-Loops wrote:
chk071 wrote:A bit offtopic: It's only my opinion, but i never really got the grip on HGF synths for example. I like to have control over what i do, not press a button, and let the music play. Of course it can be inspiring to experiment, but if the synth itself takes away the experimenting for you, you won't be able to reproduce it properly. Of course, each to its own, it's only my opinion, but with the right skills, you can make any synth do dark, evil, or happy and cheerful. And you will have learned a lot in the meantime.
That's exactly what I love about HGFortune synths: You change some parameters, load a few soundfonts or even WAV in a few synths, or you press some randomize buttons, and you'll get completely new sounds!

Of course, if you want to recreate a supersaw with them, you won't achieve that in a HGF synth that easily like in Massive. But that's not what the HGF synths are aimed at. They're made for ambient or industrial music, not for dance or club songs!
Fair enough. I guess i'm just not the typical target audience. :) I have no doubts you can make some interesting sounds with it. Maybe in my case, i'm still figuring out the (for me) sheer endless possibilities of classic subtractive synthesis, so i have no need to look further yet.

Depends how you use em really, ... but anyway, out the box? Chimera :D
Use to use it quite a lot at one point: http://www.kvraudio.com/product/chimera ... en/details
Eternitysound VST Banks

Tricky-Loops wrote:Monstrous by Supersynths but we're still waiting for version 2 since a year or so... :shrug:

Monstrous2 project is dead. They are working on something else.
yzcoruhT

Return to “Instruments”