Upgrading laptop. Will this work?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm currently using an ancient Core2Duo Sony Vaio with:
- Cubase 4.5
- XP
- 4GB RAM
- 32 bit (obviously)
- 200 GB HDD

While it runs flawlessly I have for a while now been considering giving it a fresh Windows install. It is 7 years old after all.

However, if I was to do this it seems a bit silly to go with XP (even though I much prefer it) and instead I'd go for Windows 7 and a newer Cubase version.

So my plan of attack is to buy a new 512GB SSD and another 4 GB RAM, then install Windows 7 on it along with Cubase 6.5 (I'm still wary of 7.5 from what I've been reading).

Even the thought of this makes me shudder though, as I firmly believe in not modifying a working system.
Therefore, I'd like to keep the old system on a separate external HDD so if it doesn't work or I'm ironing out teething issues I can simply plug in the USB and I'd have my old system back. This would mean no down time in the studio while allowing me to iron out various bugs on the install.

Essentially I guess what I'm asking is can a USB drive be set to priority, but if there's nothing plugged in it will switch to the internal SSD.

EDIT: I'm sure a few of you will encourage me to get a new PC, but I'm quite attached to this one and there simply isn't room for another let alone a desktop.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

I recommend first running the MS upgrade advisor to be sure your machine will be able to handle W7. It likely will but better safe than sorry.

EDIT (forgot to give the address: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... aspx?id=20 )

Of course also be sure your MOBO will except the upgrades you plan.

You set the boot to device in BIOS. Normally it will default to the next in the chain if a priority device is not located. I'm not sure though if XP will boot from USB. I know at one time it would not but not sure today not having kept up with all the changes of this.

There are however some boot from USB XP OS's. An internet search may be prudent.
But I think these are bootleg and not sure how much I would trust them.

I have to agree with your final assessment of a new machine ;)

Nothing quite like all components matched for the purpose at hand and [hopefully] the latest in design. :tu:

Best of luck Mushy Mushy :tu:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

dsan@mail.com wrote:I recommend first running the MS upgrade advisor to be sure your machine will be able to handle W7. It likely will but better safe than sorry.

EDIT (forgot to give the address: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... aspx?id=20 )
Interesting. Great tip. Didn't know about that. Thanks.
dsan@mail.com wrote:You set the boot to device in BIOS. Normally it will default to the next in the chain if a priority device is not located. I'm not sure though if XP will boot from USB. I know at one time it would not but not sure today not having kept up with all the changes of this.

There are however some boot from USB XP OS's. An internet search may be prudent.
But I think these are bootleg and not sure how much I would trust them.
You're right, I do have a strong aversion to things like bootleg OS's so these aren't really options.

However, I do feel a lengthy Google research session is in order to understand XP boot priority. Will do this tonight.
dsan@mail.com wrote:I have to agree with your final assessment of a new machine ;)

Nothing quite like all components matched for the purpose at hand and [hopefully] the latest in design. :tu:
Yeah yeah I know :D

It's coming... Need to move into a bigger house first though.

Mushy Mushy wrote:Yeah yeah I know :D

It's coming... Need to move into a bigger house first though.
Not sure why. The current crop of laptops won't take up any more room than the one you have :hihi:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

dsan@mail.com wrote:Not sure why. The current crop of laptops won't take up any more room than the one you have :hihi:
Money really.

If I was to buy another one it would be a desktop and two massive screens.
There's no real room for a desktop where I am at the moment.

An interim laptop seems a bit of a waste of money really.
Besides my current one is carbon fibre :D
(just in case I wish to ever race it :lol:)

No version of Windows will boot from USB easily. It may be possible with a lot of work but for all intents and purposes its not practical :-(

UltraJv wrote:No version of Windows will boot from USB easily.
Win 8 Enterprise has it as a feature!

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-run-a-port ... 1565509124

Admittedly not a version of Windows I'd expect anyone on here to have to hand however.

You can Google up the process for win7 easy enough, getting a decent quality USB stick with no drop outs and solid performance is possibly a greater challenge.

Kaine wrote:
UltraJv wrote:No version of Windows will boot from USB easily.
Win 8 Enterprise has it as a feature!

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-run-a-port ... 1565509124

Admittedly not a version of Windows I'd expect anyone on here to have to hand however.

You can Google up the process for win7 easy enough, getting a decent quality USB stick with no drop outs and solid performance is possibly a greater challenge.
I tried win2usb on external USB HDD with W7. It installed but wouldn't boot. I read up that it wont work on USB3 maybe that was it. Ive not found a method thats straightforward and works yet.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”