Women in the music industry...

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

toine6 wrote:The real question is...

Why are there not more men involved in sewing?
Because our wives won't let us, always threatening to take our power tools away if we dare touch their sewing machines :cry:

The best tailors in the world are men, as are the best chefs...

Kriminal wrote:

At least biologically :hihi:

Oh, I forgot to mention that part. Ever since summer camp this year, both my son and daughter are really into sewing and knitting. Mostly they make costumes for their stuffed animals. There were a number of other boys at the camp who also got really into sewing. Like all of this, it really is just a question of cultural norms. Boys are not often taught to sew. Girls are steered away from technical pursuits.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Astralv wrote:I think many overlooking obvious problems. When it comes to live performance, woman is weaker and needs a man to help her haul the gear. I, for example can not move my 88 keys hammer action Motif keyboard. I live in Virginia. Most bands here play metal and they are groups of guys. They do not let some chick to share the stage with them. Unless you are in country or singer-songwriter genres, it is difficult to get gigs. In fact- it is difficult to get gigs with electronic act, period.

Female musicians need more support to break through and we don't get this support. Women responsible for the children and household. My partner works in the theater as a sound engineer. He takes off every evening to the gig. I need a babysitter to come out. Also- babysitter can be arranged, I do not know why less women play keyboards. Many girls studying piano- more girls than boys. I studied piano growing up, and then I switched to the keyboards. This makes sense. I would think more girls would switch. Finances. Keyboards used to be very expensive. Now software synths changing it. But for 16 years old girl, it is hard to afford music studio. No future. Record companies do not sign female electronic musicians. Why? Who knows. Yes, it is true- my music is not that advanced, compared to some artists. But that is because I went to nursing schools year after year, because music was not paying bills. If I got signed a record deal and got support in 1999 when I released my first electronic album, I would be keep producing music, have more experience and more money. I was only able to release 4 albums because I was sharing my time between nursing schools and music production. This year- I produced only 2 songs. Check out my Soundcloud page in signature. I have no time to get good, as some guys who making money out of it, traveling and burning their lives at the night clubs and concert halls. I dont get that type of experience or excitement. My life is about raising my son, taking him to the piano and chorus rehearsals and hope that he will make it one day for me.
I raise my two children as a single father, My oldest Luke is 12 years-old and my youngest Molly is just a week or so shy of turning 10 years-old. They don't see their mother and haven't for years. I can not afford nor would I leave them in the care of baby sitters, Especially with Luke being on the autistic spectrum. Yes it is not easy but ultimately we chose to have children and therefore sacrifice most of our life and dedicate it to them, So instead of 'for women' how about more support for parent's in general? I don't mean to sound rude in case how I you may perceive me being with this post.

@Heavy lifting, I fully understand that, That is something where as I am used to it in (of all things) metal bands mainly we all shared the load, team work and a really good friendly scene. None of the bad attitudes and "we're superior" kind of mind sets which I've seen, Been there not of choice make a lot of gigs where bands are playing together and the atmosphere is awful, No unity. Once again there are many exceptions and I've met so many horrible people either playing, working or fans of metal as I have great people

All the best and to all as always :)

Dean

deastman wrote:Well, this topic has really devolved into a sad mess of perpetuating stereotypes.

Since we all love anecdotes so much:

My son is really into Lego, and building mechanical, kinetic things with his hands. He's interested in robots, but not the programming behind them. He thinks 3D printing is cool, but doesn't care about building models to print. His favorite subject is history. Mostly he likes weapons that can shoot projectiles.

My daughter is really into modular synthesizers, software development, 3D modeling, and math. She is self taught on a bunch of instruments, taught herself to read sheet music and to play Fur Elise rather well. She is currently teaching herself Java programming.
I don't see any anecdote in this story, but maybe it's me lacking sense of humor. Congratulations to your daughter, BTW. But if I may say so, your son is very much a male stereotype. And since apparently you didn't educate him that way, how do you explain that?
Last edited by fmr on Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fernando (FMR)

This topic isn't really going anywhere, feel free to go crazy with off topic. At least there'd be something to read.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

Kriminal wrote:

Sure. But I'm talking about the regular guy on the street, not the high end fashion designer types. "Roy, so how did that blue and pink dress you were sewing for your wife turn out?" "Did you ever get around to stitching Roy Jr. those polka dotted, racing green soccer shorts?" Just doesn't happen, or only in rare circumstances, not in my community anyway.

Go to most sewing classes at a community college and you'll see about 99% girls. Go to most audio schools and it's about 99% guys. Why? :shrug:

But the chef/cooking thing seems to be MUCH more equal than compared to 50 years ago. But that might be because of how traditional family roles have changed since then.

wasn't no kinda job she could not handle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj5fQpu ... JMHlOaxh9I

:P

toine6 wrote:
Kriminal wrote:

Sure. But I'm talking about the regular guy on the street, not the high end fashion designer types. "Roy, so how did that blue and pink dress you were sewing for your wife turn out?" "Did you ever get around to stitching Roy Jr. those polka dotted, racing green soccer shorts?" Just doesn't happen, or only in rare circumstances, not in my community anyway.

Go to most sewing classes at a community college and you'll see about 99% girls. Go to most audio schools and it's about 99% guys. Why? :shrug:
simple, social conditioning/nuture.

Kriminal wrote:
toine6 wrote:
Kriminal wrote:

simple, social conditioning/nuture.
Or nature or a combination of the two.

Well one of the things I am going to do tonight is repair a pair of riding pants for my daughter, which I'll probably spend quite a bit of time sewing. :shrug:

toine6 wrote:Go to most sewing classes at a community college and you'll see about 99% girls. Go to most audio schools and it's about 99% guys. Why? :shrug:
FWIW, I teach ProTools and audio at the Art College where I work. Most of the attendees at any non-mandatory lectures/tutorials I give are female (80:20 ratio or higher), even on courses which are predominantly male, like the animation and film courses.
Over the past 15 years or so, I'd estimate nearly all of the students who wind up doing audio-based work for their final degree show work are female.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

robojam wrote:

Well one of the things I am going to do tonight is repair a pair of riding pants for my daughter, which I'll probably spend quite a bit of time sewing. :shrug:

"for my daughter" .... course they are :hihi:

Women can do anything, from sitting on a park bench eating lunch to other stuff.

Men can only go to work at the fish factory, come home stinking, and of course the whole house smells like fish.

(I warned you this was getting boring for me)
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”