Cubase 8 is out!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Pro 13

In all fairness - I tried to use the Chord Track in 7.0 - then I got access to 7.5, gave it 2-3 more tests and ultimately gave up.

Else, yes... C7.5 is running somewhat stable. Barely any crashes.
But the other things are still standing in the room like a big pink elephant.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

theoryzero wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:I still maintain the best/least expensive way to do this is to buy C8 in Oct/Nov of next year and activate during the C8.5 grace period. That way you avoid the C8 growing pains and get C8.5 for free. And, you'll know what those "mystery" features are.
I guess I try to do this the absolute cheapest way, but I can see that getting the x.5 update when it comes out is probably the most solid approach as far as avoiding growing pains. I just buy the $50 upgrade to x.5 and sit and wait for the next x.0 announcement. $50 every two years to keep my Cubase license up to date. I've had my 7.5 upgrade sitting in shrink wrap since January.
+1 and I do hope they won't change their grace period policies
my music:
soundcloud.com/septimon-band
blend.io/septimon

Compyfox wrote:How? I thought there wasn't a .5 upgrade sold boxed?
At least not here in Germany.

I always have the fear, that once I buy it through the online shop, it's automatically activated. Else I'd do that with WL8.5, as I have the suspicion that WL9 is on front doors as well. 50EUR compared to 150-200EUR is a significant difference.
you can buy a boxed version from Thomann or Musicstore for 42 €
my music:
soundcloud.com/septimon-band
blend.io/septimon

Really? Then WL8.5 wasn't sold boxed it seems.

Since I'm already on 7.5, I won't save a dime. So let's hope the upgrade prices won't rise yet again(!), then I might jump on to 8.5 and wait for C9 or so. Depending on what C8 has to offer.

Did I already mention that I'd love to take a look at the demo first?
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

I'll buy whatever they put out, whenever they put it out.

For me C7/7.5 was a great leap forward. The included features and new instruments and effects give me a much better work flow. And if C8 does disapppoint, well, I can always keep using 7.5 until they fix it.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

BERFAB wrote:I'll buy whatever they put out, whenever they put it out.
Well... so long as they provide an updated freeze and a recording button for instrument tracks additional outs, i'll be in. C7.5 works fine here.

Cochrane wrote:I hope three things in Cu8:

- they DON'T remove 32 bit version
- they DON'T remove VST 2.4 plugin support
- they DON'T remove 32 bit (VST2.x/VST3) plugin support

I hope it'll be so.

Cochrane
They better not.
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

BERFAB wrote:I'll buy whatever they put out, whenever they put it out.
And continue supporting their shenanigans with buggy software?
Cool... this is why we have these constant discussions in the first place.

trimph1 wrote:
Cochrane wrote:I hope three things in Cu8:

- they DON'T remove 32 bit version
- they DON'T remove VST 2.4 plugin support
- they DON'T remove 32 bit (VST2.x/VST3) plugin support

I hope it'll be so.

Cochrane
They better not.
I don't think that they will drop VST2, as VST3 is still backwards compatible, so is VST2, and I do expect the same for VST4 (whenever that arrives - though it could be soon). They would shoot their own feet if they would go that route, as the competition would still offer VST2.

But I think dropping 32bit is inevitable at some point - Steinberg even hinted that towards me several times. On my rig, 64bit runs actually better (and more stable) than 32bit. Funny enough, the ASIO load is also somewhat lower - due to reasons unknown. :shrug:

They already dropped XP support, not too sure about Vista to be honest - was never on it, so I don't really care. Well, Win7 is still a thing, Win8 an interim release (is it even still available in 32bit?), Win9 recently turned into Windows 10 (and it's also not released yet!). So... the next that might happen is dropping VISTA and maybe by C9 Win7.

So out of that list, I think the most two likely things that could happen, is dropping the 32bit host (like Apple did) and at some point VISTA support (if it didn't happen already). I mean, Adobe already went that route with half of their tools (64bit OS needed!). I don't know what Steinberg should stop to go a similar route.

Makes testing and compatibility a bit simpler as well, IMO.

Oh - one thing I'd like to see though:
A sorting mode like in Wavelab! Now this(!) would be revolutionary.

bye bye cubase..hello bitwig :D

was using cubase long enough since version 4, and there is not much i`m missing.

SJ_Digriz wrote:
theoryzero wrote:I guess I try to do this the absolute cheapest way, but I can see that getting the x.5 update when it comes out is probably the most solid approach as far as avoiding growing pains. I just buy the $50 upgrade to x.5 and sit and wait for the next x.0 announcement. $50 every two years to keep my Cubase license up to date. I've had my 7.5 upgrade sitting in shrink wrap since January.
You can't skip the major release and just buy the upgrade.
Sure, but I have 7 now, thanks to my previous grace period upgrade. So, activate the $50 7.5 upgrade when 8 is announced, get free grace period upgrade to 8. Next year buy 8.5 upgrade on DVD, stick in drawer until 9 is announced...

Suloo wrote:bye bye cubase..hello bitwig :D

was using cubase long enough since version 4, and there is not much i`m missing.
Fair enough, but what exactly does this have to do with the topic of this thread?

if you don`t like the price or feature set, get something else from a smaller dev team that listenes to the customers..

Suloo wrote:if you don`t like the price or feature set, get something else from a smaller dev team that listenes to the customers..
I'm glad you are happy with your software choices.

VitaminD wrote:
Suloo wrote:if you don`t like the price or feature set, get something else from a smaller dev team that listenes to the customers..
I'm glad you are happy with your software choices.
True that. :?
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Really don't understand this kind of agitation. If you decided Cubase or any other Steinberg product is not for you, fair enough. Invading threads like these with your irrelevant opinion is not cool. I don't walk into Reaper threads either, and bore people with my opinion. Seems like the more you pay for a product, the more it will attract people to bash on it, and try to take influence on people's decision. Really, if you don't like it, stay away from it. And stay away from threads like these. It doesn't matter to me if you decided yourself for another host. I'm interested in information about the new Cubase version. And opinions of other users who actually use Cubase.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”