Are all transient shapers made equal?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've tried a few in the past, and when I got Komplete I just started using NI Transient Master and stuck to it.

I tried out the SPL one recently, and to my ears, it didn't seem to do much different

But I was wondering, do they all do the very same thing? Are some 'better' than others. Do some have different amplitude adjusting shapes or depths? Do you find a multiband transient shaper useful? What other features are useful on one?

Please lend me your minds and opinions. Cheers :)

For percussion I feel many work pretty well for adding/reducing attack, but for sound w longer sustain (e.g. bass/vocal), SPL one behaves better most of the time for me, YMMV. Multiband is fun, haven't find use of it (the one in Alloy) beyond manipulating loops though.

No they're not ! Cubase, NI & fxpansion rules, imo.

Definitely not. I tried a few and keep coming back to NI Transient Master. It may not have a lot of settings, but it just works.

Multiband seems like it would be cool in theory, but in practice didn't seem that great. Anything I'd want to use a multiband transient designer for, VolumeShaper 4 can handle anyway.

I was using SPL Transient Designer, but after getting Komplete 9, I'm using NI Transient Master. To me, it can be crispier or softer than SPL.

budweiser wrote:No they're not ! Cubase, NI & fxpansion rules, imo.
Cubase has a transient designer? Where do I find that?
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

I'd suggest to try Eareckon's Transreckon.
I like it a lot, and it doesn't sound like the others (at least from my findings).

edit: double post
Last edited by Arrested Developer on Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foosnark wrote: Multiband seems like it would be cool in theory, but in practice didn't seem that great.
I have Melda Multiband-Transient and while it took me a while to get familiar with it, i really like it.
Specially when dealing with tracks that have been recorded with flawed settings (but however are good as music, so you want to keep them) it can be really helpful.
And of course in the context of Drums, when you want to highlight different frequency regions; maybe add more presence without touching the low end (which would change the level significantly) etc.

They're definitely not equal, but many of them are similar to SPL Transient Designer which is more like finely tuned presets for attack/sustain.

You should look at Sonnox Oxford TransMod[0], this is a deep tool that requires some practice so you should
definitely read the manual, but it can give results that you would never get from SPL TD.

TD is definitely easier sometimes if you know what you want, and it seems better at adding sustain.
TransMod can seriously change the character of the sound, or distort it something crazy, and using the
negative ratio on electronic drums can add some seriously awesome pumping effects, can even automate
deadband and other parameters to shift focus on different parts of the beat.

[0] http://www.sonnoxplugins.com/pub/plugin ... ansmod.htm

TransMod and NI's transient shapers are my go-to's, but I like the free Flux BitterSweet v3 transient designer on some sounds, too. I have the SPL plugin, but for some reason, I just don't ever seem to get the results I want from it.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Arrested Developer wrote:I have Melda Multiband-Transient and while it took me a while to get familiar with it, i really like it.
Specially when dealing with tracks that have been recorded with flawed settings (but however are good as music, so you want to keep them) it can be really helpful.
:shrug:

I wasn't thrilled by it when I tried it on a few drum loops. I could get pretty decent results through tweaking, then I'd disable it and put in Transient Master and it was just as good or better. Maybe that's down to practice/skill, but IMHO the time it would take me to get everything right with something like MMultibandTransient is better spent with other things.

The advantages of Transient Master are that it never sounds bad, and I already own it (twice thanks to Maschine and Komplete). :D

OTOH, I was really impressed by MDynamicsLimiter and will be picking that up as soon as I get off work today. :tu:

Transreckon is the best I had my hands on until now.

digitalfishphones Dominion & Sleepy-Time Records Transient no? I used a lot these two to fix the microdynamics of transient attack on classical\flamenco guitars (very diabolique dynamics!) and electric bass with good results and without go ahead!

And after all are free..! :-)

Turello wrote:digitalfishphones Dominion & Sleepy-Time Records Transient no? I used a lot these two to fix the microdynamics of transient attack on classical\flamenco guitars (very diabolique dynamics!) and electric bass with good results and without go ahead!

And after all are free..! :-)
Dominion is a bit outdated but Sleepy-Time Records Transient is my go-to transient designer. Until I fall in love with MMultiBandTransient which I bought many months ago but that needs some time...

Return to “Effects”