Best freeware instruments of 2014?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Best freeware instruments of 2014 (last 12 months)

Brainstormer
4%
Cedr
1%
Cyclone
2%
Dexed
28%
D-Wave
No votes
Enzyme Player
3%
Esfera
1%
Horus MK2
1%
M-Phasewave LE
3%
Nabla
2%
Nanologue
1%
OBxd
27%
Phenomen
1%
Ragnarök
10%
RedOsc
No votes
Vaccin
2%
XSRDO Patchwork Modular System
4%
Fish
10%

Total votes: 162

RunBeerRun wrote:I thought obxd was boring-I went through all the features, and it was very basic, that's all you're going to get out of it. It sounds very good, but even if you were playing fast the sound itself wouldn't interest me.

I could see how a female might appreciate it more.
OBXD has some very special randomization algorithms in its oscillator's coding that really
make it sound very hardwareish. it is a synth only the most discriminating sound
designers can appreciate. in the end using the microsoft wavetable soft synth in its
place for an analog bass sound would go unnoticed by the average listener off the street,
i would notice and delight in the organic, live sound of obxd's oscillators. :phones:
Last edited by layzer on Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Of course my vote is the obvious one. However, if Ragnarök would be in the poll, my vote would have gone to Dexed and OBXd being the runner-up. Simply because they sound incredibly good in what they do. By the way, when a VST-synth is an emulation of hardware, people rather dislike it for looking so familiar and will vigorously compare it to the real deal. If it doesn't sound like the real one (mind you, 'in the ballpark' doesn't even cut it), people will see it for what it is: a bad emulation that tries to LOOK like old hardware.
Zombie Queen wrote:So, the most popular ones are modeled after famous hardware, this is not surprising, but still fascinating, how people generally prefer what they already know.
Ragnarök currently running third, although indeed 'closely inspired' on real hardware, is known in it's hardware form only by me :D

I'm pretty sure the votes for it come from people who really like it's sound (I'm obviously being one of them).
layzer wrote:just wanted to add, i knew Ragnarok would come in at a very respectable 2nd or 3rd because it is a fine piece of software in its DSP coding and graphic design
:tu:
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

Dexed. :party:

layzer wrote:... it is a synth only the most discriminating sound
designers can appreciate...
i would notice and delight in the organic, live sound of obxd's oscillators. :phones:
If you haven't yet listened to at least the five winners of OSC #61 where all sounds used on the tracks were from the OBxd, you should. It shows what it is capable of.

https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/osc-61-obxd
바보

Of course it's my luck that the one that does intrigued me enough cannot be downloaded... :?

BBFG# wrote:Of course it's my luck that the one that does intrigued me enough cannot be downloaded... :?
Which one is it :?:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

BlackWinny wrote:
BBFG# wrote:Of course it's my luck that the one that does intrigued me enough cannot be downloaded... :?
Fish :hihi:

Maomoondog wrote:
BlackWinny wrote:
Fish :hihi:
Never heard of it...

It was made in April?
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

I tried fish and it always slips out of my hands! What's the catch? :x

Tricky-Loops wrote:I tried fish and it always slips out of my hands! What's the catch? :x
You've managed to get it and you've let it get back to water without having made a photo to share with us?
:evil:

Tricky-Loops wrote:I tried fish and it always slips out of my hands! What's the catch? :x
Dropping the bass.

BlackWinny wrote:
You've managed to get it and you've let it get back to water without having made a photo to share with us?
Impossible, it was a huge Megalodon, I was so scared... :o

Tricky-Loops wrote:
BlackWinny wrote:
Whoah! But a Megalodon was not an animal which passed unnoticed. And anybody hasn't seen that fish?!
You've kept a tooth at least?

Said another way... that Fish is a new Loch Ness Monster if I understand well...

BlackWinny wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:
BlackWinny wrote:
Whoah! But a Megalodon was not an animal which passed unnoticed. And anybody hasn't seen that fish?!
You've kept a tooth at least?
No, but I'm without arms and legs now... :cry:

Return to “Instruments”