Unreal! Nine Volt Audio going out of business!

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

whyterabbyt wrote:
Numanoid wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:they stated an intention to shut up this particular shop, they're legally bound never to sell these products again.
In the particular state of Georgia it is illegal to do recurring going-out-of-biz sales.

See if you manage to contect the dots.
No, I cant join those dots, for this particular company based in Nashville, Tennessee. Please state exactly what the dots are for all of us to enjoy.
The dots are here. State deceptive advertising laws (which apply to commercial websites, online advertising and communications, email, social media, etc.), are based upon U.S. FTC deceptive advertising regulations, which encompass all 50 U.S. states (technically the FTC creates regulations, but they work very much like laws and violations can be prosecuted in court, but most commonly, settlements occur prior to that point), however, the FTC doesn't have the resources to go after thousands of small business violations, so the states have created numerous laws based on FTC regulations and state legal authorities prosecute violations. Falsely advertising a going out of business sale when your business is not actually in the process of going out of business is covered by the FTC's deceptive advertising regulations and can be prosecuted at the federal or state levels, where a state has applicable laws (I think all 50 have these laws, but I'm not certain), and Tennessee has those laws, including at least two laws that were violated by NVA. These laws make it is illegal for a business to falsely conduct a going out of business sale when they are not within 90 days of legally closing a business (not just possessing some thoughts of closing a business, as some have asserted is the case here, but actually legally in the process of closing a business, within 90 days of closing the business). Here are the specific clauses:

"Advertising of any sale by falsely representing that a person is going out of business."

"Advertising that a business is "going out of business" more than ninety (90) days before such business ceases to operate."

Here's a link from a TN lawyer's website that includes more detail: http://www.kevinsnider.com/images/Consu ... 2003-2.pdf

I was going to buy a couple of libraries back in the old sale but I didn't. Now that I see that offer again I will never buy anything from them. Not considering the laws, I think it's a really bad behavior for a business. I personally stopped buying products from companies who run tens of sales every week or so.
Anechoic Chamber Screaming :o

Nine volt batteries usually power cheap tinny sounding transistor radios or smoke detectors....maybe it's a fire sale.

eDrummist wrote: The dots are here.
Perhaps you need to reread what Numanoid was saying.
Numanoid is claiming this is the recurrence of an out-of-business sale, which it is not. There's no 'out-of-business sale' reference at all in NVA's material for this current sale.

If they are breaching specific regulations on having a closing down sale when they didn't ultimately close down, and then put the stuff back on sale without claiming it was another closing down sale, that's not the same thing as having a recurrent out of business sale.

You've just answered my actual question, so thanks for that. Numanoid didnt; he merely found something with some of the same words in it which was about recurrent sales, and tried to pass that off as authoritative on this situation, even though it had already been pointed out there was nothing recurrent in this at all.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Kevin Deas wrote:Nine volt batteries usually power cheap tinny sounding transistor radios or smoke detectors....maybe it's a fire sale.
:lol: :lol:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

There have been some good points raised in the past couple of pages by KVR members with genuine concerns.

However, cutting straight to the chase, NVA is not offering repeated 'going out of business' sales - or regular disounted deals like a couple of the well-known companies for doing these things (check KVR for such threads, if you need names).

This is the first time, for a limited period, sale of NVA products after the closing down sale last year (yes, it was longer than initially planned, but I'm sure we can live with that?).

For now, NVA has no record of doing repeat 'closing-down, hello again...' promotions etc.
As such, it seems unfair to label Kyle as shady (like some KVR members have done) on the basis of only one sales decision.

And as I put a couple of pages ago, yes he is available to support anyone who wishes to ask him questions about NVA products - I know because I had some questions during spring, and he answered these very helpfully.

NVA samples are excellent.
Given the lack of 'previous' deals etc, surely the main issue is: am I interested in buying these NVA samples at a discounted price?
(And some people will say, and some will say no).

Give them a break, it's already hard business to survive with. The stuff is good, is seems, so if they are selling at a discount, what's the difference what the excuse is? And precisely, what kind of support would one need for samples? They gave away nice library for free and I'm happy with it.

Zombie Queen wrote:Give them a break, it's already hard business to survive with. The stuff is good, is seems, so if they are selling at a discount, what's the difference what the excuse is? And precisely, what kind of support would one need for samples? They gave away nice library for free and I'm happy with it.
Dang so many ignorants here. This thread repeats itself over and over.

1) There are buggy nki's, don't you get that?

2) One does not lie.

CableChannel wrote:
Zombie Queen wrote:Give them a break, it's already hard business to survive with. The stuff is good, is seems, so if they are selling at a discount, what's the difference what the excuse is? And precisely, what kind of support would one need for samples? They gave away nice library for free and I'm happy with it.
Dang so many ignorants here.
Yes there are.
This thread repeats itself over and over.
Yes it does.
Nope. Someone said they werent, you said they might be, or it might be Kontakt itself. Or perhaps its your system. Either way its not quite cut-and-dried.
2) One does not lie.
Except maybe in the assumption of infallibility and 'its true because I say it is'.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Now I even get obtrusive spam emails from NVA. And that despite that they are out of business since January. ;-) Desperate they must be. I put this dev on my blacklist.

@whyterabbyt: well I guess you are just smart, arent'ya? ;-) :roll:

Yep, got that in the mail too. I admit, any offer newsletter that starts with "re:" is low trick and gets deleted right away without downloading.

It's only one mail (not mails), and that 'Re:' probably stands for 'Reopen'. :hihi:

Apparently the sale was extended too (all weekend).

e@rs wrote:Apparently the sale was extended too (all weekend).
Some surprise there :D

It's still on

The formula is now like "Extended One Final Day + 1 = Infinite"

CableChannel wrote:
Dang so many ignorants here. This thread repeats itself over and over.

2) One does not lie.
Perhaps his Kontakt samples are buggy - but this is the first I've heard of it. I own and have used them all - but these are not what he's known for.

Kyle's REX samples - the samples he's known for among pros - have a long-standing and well-deserved rep as among the very best 3rd-party REX samples available anywhere.

You have a right to your opinion, but don't expect those of us who've been using his samples for many years to simply agree they're buggy when that hasn't been our experience.
ALL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO US - Google

https://soundcloud.com/dan-ling
http://danling.com

I'm really upset he doesn't answer the mails I sent him. Tried at his new company too. He said he will continue to give support to his NVA customers...

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”