When to expect Mux 6 ?

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Great! Really looking forward to it as always!
Stuck in Aperture Laboratories for a 2nd time!

Hello there,

I was wondering what kind of updates do you have in the works? If you don't mind teasing us a little.

Also, I've only had MUX since last November, so I haven't gone through complete version number changes -- I don't know if I'm also eligible for an update? Generally, what's your policy on them? I get quite a lot of mileage out of MUX and I don't mind paying for an upgrade really, but I'm a poor bastard and it might mean that I may not update as soon as it's possible and I'd be feeling all left out. :P

A bug report: load a instrument MUX, create a new patch. Add an LFO and an parametric event generator; connect the latter to the LFO's control input. First set the parameter resolution to a small number, and then adjust the value by dragging it. Drag it below 1 and it will crash. Actually, you can set the resolution straight away to 0 and it will crash, but I encountered this by sloppily dragging the value to change it. The LFO frequency goes to -1.$ Hz and after setting my computer fan on superturbo, a message arrives: "User thread wait time-out error @ REP[12]". 32bit 5.5.2 (I'm not sure if it's the latest, have to check that), it happens every time. I understand that the resolution can't be zero, but the first time I accidentally set it to that value. Glad though that the crash is somewhat elegant, I was still able to save my work before closing my sequencer (which I eventually had to kill, cause the process hanged).

Though the real reason I came around here was to make some feature requests, the cheeky guy that I am.

This time around I'd like to have;

- rows of buttons on the interface, which I could click or control over MIDI, and when clicked, they would send whatever values I want them to send. Several MIDI CC mostly at constant values so that I could have sort of scene changes in the underlying synthesizer/effect I'm controlling. This would be great for people who have controllers with lots of buttons and combined with the sequence player, would make wonderful loopers/live-sequencers with even eight buttons.

- stepped knobs. Kind of like the resolution parameter in the parametric event generator, but that I could predefine the steps. It always depends on the receiving plugin how the developer has set values within a knob (think of, say, delay times or the internal LFO's sync mode). Something like I would define it to have eight steps and then I'd have to define each of those steps with a CC value to send.

- sub-presets for patches. I've made various effects and instruments which allow me to make different sounds (well, duh); I have to save them to different patches, even though I'm only changing few values here and there. Switching between patches can be unnecessarily heavy as the program apparantly unloads all plugins and modules and then loads them up again. Having sub-presets would also tidy up my folders.

- select multiple knobs on the interface to move them or to change their appearances. Editing interfaces can be really tedious and actually straining on the mouse hand (try having eight knobs that you want to move five pixels to the right, then changing their knob and text colours).

- sometimes the window management is a bit awkward. Making and editing patches open up easily tens of windows, which I need to either explicitly close or they will be buried under other windows, and then at other times I want to drag a control somewhere, but the target window goes below everything else as the window I'm dragging from gets focus.

- select a cable and right click to insert a module at that point. Also the cable properties should be possible to be dragged to the interface; this would often save a amplifier/mixer module, which do a lot of the same stuff as the cable properties do.

- mooaarr inputs and outputs exposed to the host. This would allow making mixers and multi-effect boxes. One thing I really like about MUX is that I can save the MIDI mappings per each patch; what this allows me to do is to have drop-in replacements for whatever it is that I want to change, while still having predefined MIDI mappings in place. If that doesn't make sense, consider having a auxiliary send on a host's mixer, a reverb loaded in MUX. If I decide I want to change the plugin - or the way I've mapped the plugin to my controls - I can do that by loading a different MUX patch, without the usual re-mapping show needed in a host. That said, I want to have a full mixer where I can just change components as I wish and still have everything mapped. 4 stereo/8 mono channels is too little.

That probably sounds like a lot because it is a lot, but I hope you get the undercurrent there, which is that I use MUX quite a lot. ;) Even with that button thing I asked for there, I already got it somewhat sorted out with constant modulators, but I want more, more! (And that thing I'm using for this mind-blowing hihat/cymbal thing......) You're probably set out for the updates you're going to do for the next revision, but maybe some of those things can be put at the end of the "perhaps sometime far in the future"-list of things to do.

So, um, anyways.. Any teasers of MUX 6? :)

First of all sorry about the delay on this reply.
ras.s wrote:I was wondering what kind of updates do you have in the works? If you don't mind teasing us a little.
I'm sorry but i got no formal answer on that question yet. Working on something but i'll keep the details hidden until things have developed more concrete. Stay tuned and keep on making music! And if you have a great sounding EBM / house / (hard)tech / dubstep / pop track made in MuLab pls share its link here! We definitely need more popular music tracks so to grow the Mu fire!
Also, I've only had MUX since last November, so I haven't gone through complete version number changes -- I don't know if I'm also eligible for an update? Generally, what's your policy on them?
Updates within the same main version are free. So if you bought a MUX Vst 5 User Key it will work in all updates for MUX Vst 5. MUX Vst 6 will cost a small update fee unless you bought MUX Vst 5 after MuLab 6 was released.
A bug report: load a instrument MUX, create a new patch. Add an LFO and an parametric event generator; connect the latter to the LFO's control input. First set the parameter resolution to a small number, and then adjust the value by dragging it. Drag it below 1 and it will crash.
Confirmed. Will be fixed in the next update. Thx for reporting.

NB: Don't set the parameter resolution below 2. The minimum resolution should be 2. That will also be fixed in the next version.

Hi Jo,

Hoping Mux 6 is still coming along. Really hoping for this: "complete inlined module editors on the front panel". But really just wanted to pop in with some words of encouragement. Best of luck. You are a one man army with an amazing product. :D

Dear guys:
Mux got it all and beyond, enjoy and let the time flow....make good music and relax....Mux 5 got it all....use the brain...the left side...and be creative., remember the 80's , somebody know what type of sequencers they were using it those days ?....you will be surprise....google it and you will see....inspiration is what you guys needs, not a v.6...

Cheers

What's the point of your post, man? I can make good music on my DAW no problem. But I'd love to see the inline module editors on the front panel. If you are using it to chain effects its much more efficient to see everything on the go. Less clicking and fumbling to get where you want to go. Why are you talking about needing inspiration? I don't see how you can assume anybody posting is lacking just because they're looking forward to a new product. In fact, I don't even understand one bit of your post. There's nothing in the few sentences you wrote that makes any sense. Anyways, back on topic. Cheering on Jo. Great work as always :)

Will MUX updates be free for those using the latest MULAB?

MuLab and MUX Vst are separate products. MUX Vst 6 will not be a free upgrade for MUX Vst 5. Just like MuLab 6 was not a free upgrade for MuLab 5. But there will be a gentle upgrade path. More info coming soon.

Hi Jo, really excited about the upcoming update. I'm interested to see what the new oscillator will be. 8)

I've been playing with MUX today, trying to figure out if it's possible to create polyphonic synth patches outside of the PolySynth module. The reason being that I was hoping to be able to use my vst filters and distortions per voice, polyphonically. I can achieve this somewhat by using the Note Key Splitter routed to several chains of oscillators, filters and distortions, but it's not ideal - one problem being that triggering the same notes but in different octaves will behave monophonically.

So I'm wondering if you have thought of creating a module that has an Event input and, say, 16 or so Event outputs that can be cycled through using round robin i.e, the 1st note on uses output 1, the 2nd note on, output 2, etc, and it behaves polyphonically. You could also have an option to use a random output on note on.

Cheers, and all the best with the update. :)

So how is MUX 6 coming along ?

Can we expect a beta version this year :)

Absolutely. In fact i was close to sharing the MUX Modular 6.1 VST test packages today, but encountered something during a final check. Researching and fixing that now. Hope to share it later today, or tomorrow/asap, depending on that last step(s).

Brilliant :D

Do you have a idea of the cost of upgrading from MUX 5 to 6 (can't find it on the website) :?:

mutools wrote:Hope to share it later today, or tomorrow/asap, depending on that last step(s).
Typical: Those last steps take more time than expected. Anyway, the MUX 6.1 Vst test packages should be here one of the days.
Dunc wrote:Do you have a idea of the cost of upgrading from MUX 5 to 6 (can't find it on the website) :?:
To be announced soon.

I hope the upgrade price will be reasonable, means not too expensive...

I hope that it will answer to the little problem I've put here (and which hasn't got any reply).
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Return to “MUTOOLS”