SquaredHeads Nora: Arpeggiator (2.5 Released!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nora

mysticvibes wrote:Thanks for that info Rajah. Awesome!

Would be interesting to export the midi for closer inspection and manipulation in daw then throw back into nora with its new import feature etc.. lots of possibilites

Can't wait to get my hands on it... But my understanding of the process is.. One will not need to export to midi... Why stop the groove to export to midi? Just keep throwing phrases at the patterns (live), until you hit the right ones (24 patterns on 8 different tracks), and all the tools are there to manipulate the sequence (just as midi) in NORA 2, with it suite of 'tools'... I don't think I will be doing any 'export to midi' with this thing.. All of my projects will be saved with NORA 2..

Last edited by Rajah on Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rajah wrote:
Can't wait to get my hands on it... But my understanding of the process is.. One will not need to export to midi... Why stop the groove to export to midi? Just keep throwing phrases at the patterns (live), until you hit the right ones (24 patterns on 8 different tracks), and all the tools are there to manipulate the sequence (just as midi) in NORA 2, with it suite of 'tools'... I don't think I will be doing any 'export to midi' with this thing.. All of my projects will be saved with NORA 2..

Yes, what you said makes sense Rajah, and as long as there is a workaround, I could do without it. Visually seeing the end result of what the chords in the daw and Nora are doing is useful information imo. Very useful. You can easily see the chord in the daw and the arpeggiator pattern inside nora, but not its end result. Its not about finding a great pattern within nora or simply relying on editing an okay pattern via the export to midi. What if there a few notes only you want to change in the end result, or you want to sync additional elements to the phrase coming out of Nora, visually seeing that info or straight up exporting the midi gives you more options and could even be time saving in some situations.

That said, I would prefer if it would just record the information by pressing a button as squareheads suggested, rather than it doing it automatically etc. Once you hit the button it would show the midi notes inside nora if you just want to look at it and no real need to export it. But again, if there is a need to export for whatever reason or preference then that would be helpful..

Anybody else agree with me, feel free to chime in... or if you prefer not to see it.

Squareheads, about me saying your analogies are hilarious, its because they made me laugh and a good ones. No disrespect of any kind :wink: :D
Last edited by Touch The Universe on Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

nexussynth wrote:is it possible to add a feature that could capture the output of NORA to a midi file?
For me that is easy. However the last thing I want is overdo Nora with hundreds of menus and buttons. I want to keep it straightfoward and flexible. So I need more information about things like:
1. Should that output MIDI contains the output of all tracks?
2. Should it be automatically generated, I mean, when you start playing with your keyboard, or the host start running then it would clear its contents and would start recording until you decide to export it to a MIDI. Or should it be manual, like you have a record and a stop button?

However, I cannot implement more features until the release, then I'll focus on bugfixing, then I would start to code-build again (after some small holidays :) )[/quote]

what would be useful would be a 'Record' button in NORA that when clicked would wait for notes to start coming out of NORA then record the whole output to a SMF then when your done you click 'Stop' or whatever. maybe this would best be a separate tool like the midi mapper is now?

i don't have Cthulu but just recording 1 bar would not do.
"..What is simple, is simply seen.."

nexussynth wrote:..
nexussynth wrote:is it possible to add a feature that could capture the output of NORA to a midi file?

For me that is easy. However the last thing I want is overdo Nora with hundreds of menus and buttons. I want to keep it straightfoward and flexible. So I need more information about things like:
1. Should that output MIDI contains the output of all tracks?
2. Should it be automatically generated, I mean, when you start playing with your keyboard, or the host start running then it would clear its contents and would start recording until you decide to export it to a MIDI. Or should it be manual, like you have a record and a stop button?

However, I cannot implement more features until the release, then I'll focus on bugfixing, then I would start to code-build again (after some small holidays :) )
what would be useful would be a 'Record' button in NORA that when clicked would wait for notes to start coming out of NORA then record the whole output to a SMF then when your done you click 'Stop' or whatever. then you would be prompted to save the SMF at the location of your choice. maybe all this would best be a separate tool like the midi mapper is now?

i don't have Cthulu but just recording 1 bar would not do.

I'm not sure if all hosts have the capability but I would utilize the host for midi output (recording). Unless a chord tool is added to Nora's playlist/pattern editor so that chord sequences could be added & controlled within Nora... although I'm not sure how that would work with multiple Nora instances having to share chord data...

In the meantime, Cthulhu is a handy way to bang out some chords in real time (for sucky pianists like myself), and my DAW(s) can record the midi output from Nora for further tweaking:
http://i.imgur.com/ChH5Mht.gif

according to your gif ,
with v2 no need to multiple instances of Nora anymore..
unless you need more than 8 tracks :)

Enough. Let's see the video already.

mysticvibes wrote: Once you hit the button it would show the midi notes inside nora if you just want to look at it and no real need to export it.
How would you fit 132 possible notes in 25 phrase editor notes? Or do you mean that you would wish Nora has something like a Piano Roll? And don't worry, I know you didn't disrepect me with 'hilarious' :)
nexussynth wrote:maybe this would best be a separate tool like the midi mapper is now?
I thought about it. But again, that separete tool is called 'your host' ;) Anyway I continue thinking in the best approach for this. It's easy to do, what's difficult is doing it in a way that doesn't disturb my future plans for Nora or overdo it.
spirit wrote:Enough. Let's see the video already.
I can do some homemade videos, as soon as I finish fixing a hard bug.

i forgot i have an arpeggiator plugin from like 8 years ago called Matrix Arp that has a capture to SMF function within the midi VST, it is within a Pluggo shell i believe, but it works fine in energyXT

anybody familiar with this one?

squaredheads wrote:That's open to debate. I'd like to know what other people think.
Imho there's abolutely no point in recording MIDI inside Nora. Among several reasons (already written by others) the main argument is the host's functionality that does exactly this. Why waste resources and double it?

What's the release date for this?
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

woodsdenis wrote:What's the release date for this?
From page one:
Squareheads wrote:When will it be released?
- As soon as possible. We estimate it should be ready by the first week of December.
Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

elassi wrote:
squaredheads wrote:That's open to debate. I'd like to know what other people think.
Imho there's abolutely no point in recording MIDI inside Nora. Among several reasons (already written by others) the main argument is the host's functionality that does exactly this. Why waste resources and double it?
some DAWS don't like midi vst plugins that well and Sonar is one of them. also, energyXT would be great for experimenting quickly and capturing that to a SMF within NORA.

beyond that, only people who have run into timing and other problems within a DAW using midi plugs would understand the need for this feature. :wink:

dsan@mail.com wrote: From page one:
Squareheads wrote:When will it be released?
- As soon as possible. We estimate it should be ready by the first week of December.
Happy Musiking!
dsan
*After* all the sales? :scared: Hope I've something left over...

nexussynth wrote:some DAWS don't like midi vst plugins that well and Sonar is one of them.
I don't know all the avaliable host, but I think the only one can have problems is FL Studio, because it cannot record MIDI Out from plugins directly. But there shouldn't be timing problems in any of them. Which is the problem in Sonar? And the most important question that nobody answer me yet, what would you do with the "recorded" midi file? Delete Nora instance and continue just using the MIDI file? btw: Nora 2 is very cpu friendly :)

I don't pretend to offset the lack of features that should be in the host. I have the resources to do it, but as I told you before, I want to have the GUI/workflow as clean as possible. However, if there is enough demand from Nora users I'll do it. Anyway, there will be an optional future (2015) feature that could achieve this without recording.

Return to “Instruments”