Tracktion 4 filters

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Fairly new to using Tracktion 4 that was bundled with my Behringer UMC202 interface. I can't seem to hear or adjust any filters or plugins prior to recording a track. I connect my guitar into my UMC202 interface and arm track 1. I drag a filter onto the track but cannot hear the filter or plugin. After I record onto the track, I can hear the filters attached to the recording. I do have end-to end enabled. Not sure what is going on. When I click on the track to arm it, I can hear the filter turn on for a brief moment. Any help appreciated.

You may have the 202 configured for direct monitoring. This eliminates the latency you get when listening to the processed signal.

You need to set 'run audio engine when stopped' to true to here the throughput before you start recording.

Welcome to the fold.

I do have the run audio engine when stopped enabled. The Behringer UMC202 has a direct monitoring button and when it's pushed in, I can hear my clean guitar signal through my speakers and headphones but cannot hear tracktion filters/effects attached. When I have the UMc202 direct monitoring button out, I cannot hear any sound through speakers or headphones.

You do have the UMC selected as in- and output in 'settings~audio device'?

In tracktion 4 settings: audio device type is: asio
device: UMC asio driver

Do you have all your speakers/headphones hooked up to the UMC202?
Are you able to actually record your guitar properly?
On that particular track, what output is selected?
Waveform 11; Win10 desktop/8 Gig; Win8 Laptop 4Gig; MPK261; VFX+disfunctional ESQ-1

don't know much about tracktion4.
in T5 you have to enable live input monitoring .. in T5 its named as End-T-End i guess

and of course you have to enable inputchannels in AudioSettings
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Untitled3.jpg
Untitled2.jpg
Untitled.jpg
I don't see any option for live input monitoring. The track is armed and I get a clean guitar signal that can be recorded. It records with filters/effects but I cannot hear the filter/effect or make adjustments to the effect/plug-in prior to recording it. I have a Behringer UMC202 interface. When I press the direct monitoring button "in", I can hear sound through my speakers and headphones but when the button is "out", no sound can be heard.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

You've definitely got the option for running the audio engine when stopped selected?
Because it's supposed to be just that, and end-to-end on the input that you need turned on, to do what you're trying to do.

Your audio buffer size on the audio input seems quite high, not that that should matter, but in case it's a weird bug, try dropping that down to about 20ms
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

Looks like after I changed the buffer size, I can now hear the filters/effects. However, I hear pops and clicks. I am not peaking the level meters when I hear the pops and clicks.

fuzz6704 wrote:Fairly new to using Tracktion 4 that was bundled with my Behringer UMC202 interface. I can't seem to hear or adjust any filters or plugins prior to recording a track. I connect my guitar into my UMC202 interface and arm track 1. I drag a filter onto the track but cannot hear the filter or plugin. After I record onto the track, I can hear the filters attached to the recording. I do have end-to end enabled. Not sure what is going on. When I click on the track to arm it, I can hear the filter turn on for a brief moment. Any help appreciated.
Just so you know, the term "filter" is ditched for T5 and later. Plug-ins, VSTs, VSTis, etc, instead.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

5 posts since 23 Nov, 2014 PM

by fuzz6704; Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:02 amRe: Tracktion 4 filters

fuzz6704 wrote:
Looks like after I changed the buffer size, I can now hear the filters/effects. However, I hear pops and clicks. I am not peaking the level meters when I hear the pops and clicks.

FUZZ6704: When I saw your buffer settings I was going to make the comment that it was way, way outsized but chico beat me to it.

What size is the buffer now? When the buffer is too small that's when the clicks and pops start on any rig. Mine is set to something like 5.9 ms but buffer size is relative to how robust the rest of your system is. The more robust (CPU, memory, hardware speeds etc.) the lower you can set it. In other words, the faster your computer runs, the lower you can set it. It would help if you could tell us what you have in your system (hardware/OS/software) and that may help us point you to a solution.

Sometimes it is as simple as loading the latest drivers for your hardware, including anything that came with the Behringer. T4 is very economical with your resources and since the T4 build it has a tiny gadget in the upper right hand corner of your screen that shows how much of your resources are being used at any given moment. If you see a lot of green on that wheel your system may be overtaxed. Also it may be beneficial to review "What causes clicks and pops?" They are a symptom of dropout.

And be sure to send us as much of your system info as you can.

OR - Just increase your current buffer setting by one point at a time until the clicks and pops go away and you can still hear the input effects etc. you desire.

Regards,

theoldguy
It is time to come together in the middle of the road.

It's also worth noting that the most recent versions of T5 have a "Reset Device" button on the Audio Devices settings page.
I'm not sure what the driver behind that was, but when playing with latency settings, i've had pops and crackles and so on when I've dropped the latency, which then disappeared when I pressed "Reset Device". This was mostly playing with ASIO4All drivers, on windows, assume it affects other drivers too.

In other words, if you've dropped your latency to 20m/s, and you're getting pops etc, make sure you close Tracktion completely, and reopen it (to reinitialise the audio driver, hopefully), before you go into too much troubleshooting those sounds, at that latency setting. My impression is that some drivers just don't like having that setting changed, without something being "reset" in some way.

You'll probably have got this far already, if it's a different day, but worth trying again at that latency setting.

Also check that on the Audio Devices tab, where it says "CPU cores to use", you've specified as high a number as possible.

Also, looking at your screen grabs ... how exactly have you managed to be on the "Loop Settings" tab, but you have the "Audio Devices" section displaying? Is that Photoshopped? If so, why? If not, why doesn't it show the "Loop Settings" settings page?

I'm talking about this screengrab;

"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

Return to “Tracktion”