FR : GPU accelerated GUI

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've noticed in the big projects GUI starts to be slow and less responsive which probably means its processing by cpu as well. Im not a programmer but would be great if GUI could use GPU resources for processing. Im sure my Quadro K5000 for video editing would take care of it without problems :roll:

+1. I have a nice 770m in my laptop, that'd speed things up nicely.

Yes this has bitten me quite hard in a few recent projects, I find it starts to kill my inspiration really quickly when the GUI is lagging and controls are sluggish to move etc. Not sure whether GPU acceleration could actually fix the latter issue there but yeah, worth discussing.

On Linux, it appears the GUI uses Cairo ( which is a good choice IMO, and also allows for hardware acceleration ... and in the meantime, Cairo uses XRender, which is well accelerated for most users already ). I haven't yet gotten MIDI working (!), so I can't comment on loading up lots of tracks and things yet :) I wonder what is used for Windows and OSX. Regardless, I'd be pointing the finger at the GUI being written in Java. It's hardly known for low-latency, high-performance applications. Considering the work has already been done to use Cairo on Linux, I would have thought it would be quite easy to just use C / C++ and Cairo on all systems. Having said that, it's not clear how much of the GUI uses Cairo.

Yeah this would be nice. My songs are basically tons of tiny audio clips cut and re-pitched. When I get up to a few hundred of these it starts to lag. I usually just join them (ctrl+j) and/or bounce in place and it solves the problem.

+1, busy project get slow

+1

I am also having the same issue with all my projects. It is sluggish and really is annoying especially since I am using this program every day for 8+ hours. Please fix this. :D

As a guy who just spent my first hours with Bitwig creating my first project - this is killing me. Bitwig is way way slower than Live 9. Three plugins running and none of them are CPU killers. iMac i5 2011. If I'm zooming in/out or just scrolling around in the arrangement - it's like playing a game with a ridiculously low framerate.

I read on their Facebook page that the UI uses Java.

This is truly terrible. I'm writing the support.

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

+1 on better rendering

Return to “Bitwig”