Any workaround ideas for this weird situation (Windows)?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

nevermind

Assuming your C drive is NTFS, you can use junction points to physically move stuff to another drive (while installed programs see it where it was), without reinstalling anything. I used this feature when I've got second, faster SSD and just moved whole Native Instruments install tree to the new disc. You can use Junction Link Magic utility, if command prompt is inconvenient.

Well after all that I still have to get them to walk me through manual installation because their version of 7zip that their installer relies on isn't working in XP.

These samples are copy protected so I will have to get them to inform Native Instruments Service Center that I own the product so I can put in the authorization code. Their FAQ says there are "legacy" installation instructions in the email you get when you purchase products but no such instructions exist in my email.

Hope they don't make me wait all through the holiday weekend but c'est la vie. i guess I should have seen this coming. Been fairly lucky so far using current installers on XP but that's probably not going to go on much longer.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. :tu:
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

You should use a GHOST type program so that you can clone your HDD to a larger one. You may still have issues with xp so YMMV.

Sounds like more an installer issue that will hopefully soon resolved but since the lack of drive space might lead you to other troubles down the road, a few ideas to free up some space if you need them in the interim until your upgrades:

- If you haven't yet, using a system cleaner like CCleaner could easily free up a few gigs of space. I usually have two or three gigs of junk temp files accumulated between runs, sometimes as much as 10gb.

- Clean out Windows update install files, which also easily be using two or more gigs. If your system is otherwise running smoothly you probably don't have any need to remove any of the many security updates you've gotten, so they can (very probably) be removed without worry. In Windows 7 and above you can use Windows' built in drive cleaner for the task, but on XP you might have to find a dedicated utility on the interwebs. That could easily buy you another two or more gigs, though.

- You could temporarily limit the size of your swap file to something minimal; if you've left it for windows to manage it could easily be taking up 1.5 to three times your installed RAM, so setting it to something like 512 mb might at least help you get the install finished. If you have multiple drives, you could potentially disable the C: drive swap file altogether and set Windows to use another drive (though it's usually prudent to keep at least a small swap file on C: just in case). Also, not such a space saver, but since on the topic of swap files, if you're running XP-32bit and have 4gb of RAM in your box, Windows won't be able to use that fourth gb, but you can host a RAM drive in that fourth gb on which you can place a small swap file (just under the size of the RAM drive to be safe) to the effect of a fairly impressive performance boost. I used such a setup for a long time and was very very happy with it. You might have to enable physical address extension in your bios first, but might be something to try.

- If you haven't disabled hibernation mode and don't need it, that's probably using another file the size of your RAM (hibernation.sys). You can turn that off in your power settings.

- You also might want look for temp folders left in the root of C: by installers that have to unpack their installation files before beginning the actual install (device drivers seem to do this a lot and can easily take up 100mb or more each).

Hope you get things worked out soon, so you can get back to creatin'! Good luck!

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”