Slate says Monday for VMR

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Compyfox, I didn't get the same reading of the reply that you did. I have no problem with IK's response, and thought it was enlightening and valid.
Valid argumentation is one thing, but saying that the analysis is "wrong" and "ignoring certain factors" is another.

I was asked by my friend to comment on various Neve clones, as he is a Neve fan. So I hit two flies with one blow and posted my personal opinion, that I wrote to him as mail (there was nothing confidential in there!) on KVR as well. So why write it twice with different wording?

He (the person I sent the mail to) actually opted for the Slate creation, since it's offering the "dirt" he was looking for after testing himself as well. He merely wanted to know my opinion as friend.

Apparently, this doesn't swing with IKM.
To them, I funked up - I "put them in the wrong light".

And putting aside that pretty much every company does this - by that I mean "being proud about their creations" and insisting that "their creation is the best" - I've never seen such blatant e-penix contests from developers like these current ones.

To be honest, barely any other company DARES to hijack threads about tools by other companies! Yet another warning sign to me.

Additional to that, that's like what... the third dev this month alone that is duking it out with users?! Must be the current season for people going crazy. Didn't know that we all live in the north pole area where it's currently polar night, and therefore having a lack of sunlight.

Or my English is really that borked, that I misunderstand EVERYTHING as of late. Heck I don't know. But I feel like the Fabfilter Pro Q2 / DMG Audio Equilibium drama all over again. So I'll definitely back out at this point before I start to strangle somebody.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:The FG-N sounds harsher in the top end, but much less saturated overall, which is nice. Driving the FG-N is odd. It's either very clean, or very distorted. No middle ground with the saturation.
As mentioned several times at this point:
- Slate's EQ is probably meant to be stacked at some point (which is why you only have a "line" mode), but is still standing it's ground if used individually

- the IKM EQ's are (IMO - I really can't stress that enough it seems) laid out to work stand alone, not stacked. Like the various available NEVE modules that work outside of the actual console environment (read: built in preamp, fitting XLR I/O, etc)

YMMV - as do your personal preferences in terms of sound.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

ftech wrote:
hibidy wrote:Well, all the ilok2 hoops are jumped, all the licenses have been registered, and all the guitar parts were played with slate. Impressive so far.
The presets seem to be mostly Rock oriented, but it's sounding very nice indeed on some synths here....
Plus, I think it may become first port of call for drums for me.
I'm sold on the preset bus presets. Not enough guitar presets (of course, that is why you roll your own ;) ) and there are some wonderful surprises. First thing I noticed, you can push it. Much harder than many other things I have (where you must be very careful)

@synths : :o I opened a few projects in live that are really synth oriented stuff and was very surprised by the difference. I kept a/bing it against the eq and stuff I had been using and thought "that can't be"

It can't make that big of a difference, can it?

What I don't like is that it takes a while to load up, and there is a glitch when you add modules (live or bitwig) and in bitwig, it kills the audio while loading. Not a huge thing, but still.

hibidy wrote:@synths : :o I opened a few projects in live that are really synth oriented stuff and was very surprised by the difference. I kept a/bing it against the eq and stuff I had been using and thought "that can't be"

It can't make that big of a difference, can it?

What I don't like is that it takes a while to load up, and there is a glitch when you add modules (live or bitwig) and in bitwig, it kills the audio while loading. Not a huge thing, but still.
Yeah, I wasn't that fussed on the SSL module until I gave it a workout on some synth tracks...Boom! Really liking it now :hihi:

Haven't noticed any issues with loading here, but I just got a new 6 core Mac Pro a few weeks ago and it's feasting on every other high demanding plug in I've got (DIVA, Diversion blah blah blah) so no surprise about that.

I'm jelly! (@ new high powered mac)
Last edited by hibidy on Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Compyfox, again, didn't read their response that way. I took IK's response as,'those screen grabs don't tell the whole story and here's why.' They didn't call you a liar or imply you don't know what you're doing, at least, not when I read it. Everyone will read things like that differently though, and since you're not a native English speaker, perhaps something is getting lost there. Maybe not. Maybe I'm wrong and cutting IK too much slack. As an outside party though, it just didn't seem like an attack on you.

And when it comes to hijacking other companies threads, Slate's been accused of that regularly, so don't say it makes IK classless for doing so, while Slate doesn't do this. You can find multiple examples of Steven talking about why his products are great in several non-Slate threads on Gearslutz.

Honestly, again, it doesn't bother me when Steven does it either. If you have a good product, and want to offer some insight as to what makes it special on a public forum, I'm good with that. If Slate went into IK's forums on the ikmm.com site or vice versa, then I'd say that's crossing a line. KVR or Gearslutz? Talk about your products.

My thoughts? We've had enough tit for tat about IK.

More talk about VMR! :D

De-amn!!
Driving VMR with Soundtoys Radiator on the drum buss........a pre-amp module would be a great future addition.

My take

FG-S? The SSL EQ.
I really like this. It's perfect basically. The high shelf in particular is beautiful. Smooth and clean. And generally it imparts nice character to the sound when used. I've yet to build a mix with a bunch of these EQ's but it will be interesting when I do.

FG-N
Too broad most of the time and I don't like the high shelf. The drive on this one is pretty cool though. I would probably just use it for drive most of the time.

FG-116
I've never found FET comps to work for me, however I do like this one. It's flexible enough to be fairly clean or it can really be driven. Could have done with a HP

FG-401
Very nice! I love VCA's on drums and master bus. With the transformer in it sounds slightly hazy which I love. It has a sort of glow to it. The attack sounds really good. On most plugins I've used the attack doesn't sound the way I want. I want that soft click, a pillowy thump. To properly softens transients without losing them altogether. Well Pro-C is good at that, especially on classic & opto modes. FG 401 isn't quite like Pro-C but it's got it's own sort of softening which I really like. I love that there are two circuits too as I tend to use them for different things. 1 for Drums 2 for a mix as it's more open sounding.

Revival is amazing of course.

However I don't like the Ilok aspect so I am not 100% sure what to do. The FG-S is probably the most appealing part of the package. Next is FG-401.

It might sway me if we see an opto comp or some new EQs added but who knows how long that will take.

My guess is the VMR is going to be Slates virtual store so they could in theory pump out endless modules for it based on whats out in 500 land.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Have to go over it for another day or two ...

While provided plugins pack is a great value on its own,
I have problems with the concept of racks.

By now an inserted rack appears to be more of an isle
rather than an organic part of a fx chain.

Plus ... heck what was in rack #1, #2, #3 ?

Plus seeing other devs chiming in with their own racks,
I`m not sure if a stable of racks one after another becomes beneficial.

Atm I tend to wish to have standalone versions handy as well.

Hmmmmm ....
Intel i7-4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | RME Babyface Pro | UAD PCIe Octo, Quad | Asus GT 730 | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB | LG GH24NSB0 | W10 Pro 64bit | S1 latest

I don't like VMR on my mixes. There is too much coloring and in all cases I preferred a mix without VMR.

For me the most usable modules are the FG-S (SSL EQ) and the "Revival" which remember me a bit to a Pultec.
The VMR Neve is ok, but I don't think it's better than other emulations. I like the Waves Scheps 73 more because it's not only a 1073 emulation and has a bit more features like M/S.
The FG-116 is not my cup of tea, the FG-401 is ok (I like this more "LA2A" behavior with the circuit 2).

Maybe after 1 year of announcements of the "channel strip of your dreams" I expect a bit too much. There is also some important stuff missing for proper gain staging. But I read that a "trim" module will be added shortly.

After a lot of testing I came to the conclusion that I don't need VMR in my toolbox.

the VMR Neve clone certainly has an analogue vibe to me, so Slates original claim about the VMR being very very close to the holy grail of non linearity seems to be justified. I like the character it gives certain instruments and vocals but am finding that If I use it on too many tracks the sound can become too analogue in an unpleasant way. I'm still discovering where best to implement it.
The SSL clone is great... the general character is warmer IMO than the Waves which I find a little brittle in comparison and it works on loads of tracks without adding anything unpleasant.
I'm not really a compressor person but they seem fine to me.

All in all it's great to have these colors to add to my existing collection and I can see me using them in situations where I need color and character rather than the transparent efficiency of either a Fab Filter or a DMG eq.

Reviver is very nice as well:)

My 2 cents

I simply replied to a post that was VERY specific to our plugins, our team had something to say about it so I posted it, and it wasn't at all taken the right way and I apologize if it was easy to do so. I thought it was a very even-keel response and I also qualified my post specifically to not thread-jack but to reply to our plugins being mentioned and for what reason. Take from it what you will, there was no harm intended and nothing against the real topic of this thread which seem to also be some very nice plugins. Peace.

Edit - and this certainly isn't meant to be a thread jack so please contact IK directly if you want to have a dialogue about the plugin analysis and the response posted here so it doesn't derail this any further.

Thread title wrote:Slate says Monday for VMR
What happens if you don't like Mondays?

Ok, once you download the demo once is there a way to download it again after some time (for updates etc)? In my drumclassroom account there are only my fully licensed products. (BTW I just want to use the free module...)

kelvyn wrote: I like the character it gives certain instruments and vocals but am finding that If I use it on too many tracks the sound can become too analogue in an unpleasant way.
Yes, there is some kind of "puffy saturation" (cannot describe this in a better way) which will change the mix in a direction I don't like.

Return to “Effects”