Something is cooking: RAGNAROK - RELEASED !!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Ragnarök

So, of all those files in the folder, the only one really needed is the 32 or 64-bit dll, right? 8)

The fonts used are a bit small for the relatively big GUI and hard to read, especially those black on brown ones, maybe white on brown would be easier on the eye.

Would be cool if Blooo had that patch manager, though, which indeed works in my DAW as well now :D

Made two more patches, bass, what else :D The scope of that synth is a bit narrow, pw control would help...

https://app.box.com/s/k42vjzxwvgeu926p3lqy
https://app.box.com/s/gtwib87jddoxhd2uxvab

fluffy_little_something wrote:So, of all those files in the folder, the only one really needed is the 32 or 64-bit dll, right? 8)
Correct, and of course the licence information. :hihi:

Cheers, Björn

fluffy_little_something wrote:The scope of that synth is a bit narrow, pw control would help...
Eeehhh.. :o

I would say all the other preset-bank makers obviously disagree with you, going from all the great patches I've heard so far. I rather think your scope of what Ragnarök can do is a bit narrow :D

Also, there are already several tracks floating around the web, that where done with ONLY Ragnarök sounds, that sound pretty amazing :hihi:

I'm hoping to see Ragnarök in the OSC sometime, I can't wait to hear what those talented guys are going to get from it :hyper:
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

I know this is your baby so to speak, so you are obviously less objective, I can understand that :) I am not criticizing your synth, I am merely comparing it to the other stuff I use.

I usually know what sound I want to program, what it should sound like. And I try to get to that by tweaking. Ragnarök is good at some things, but it can't do certain other things. Many of my patches simply require me to set pulse width very precisely. That is for instance why my little electric bass patch sounds wrong, it is simply not possible to give it the correct tonal shade without pw control.

I suppose Ragnarök is good for people who are looking for fancy leads etc. that are not emulating anything. But that is not so much my world...

Nice new GUI tweaks :tu:
Sadly I don't understand how to create an INI file even though I have read the instructions over and over in the manual, looks like I am back to the default colours again, or stick with the previous version :(
:tu: All is good

bluedad wrote:
layzer wrote:lol (to keep from crying) I tell myself that my Juno 106 is an ok alternative, but even it has that #^%@ chip problem!
sorry to hijack your thread crimson, best of luck on your release!
I just posted a proper fix on my synth website for the Juno 106 80017a chip problem. This fix works with chips that don't respond to the Acetone soak too.
Synthesizers.Audio Roland Juno 106 chip repair.

I just downloaded the 1.1.0 version and will have a good play with this over the weekend.
CW, I really am going to write that review too. This week though, I've been busy customizing my Yamaha MC1204 mixing console to use as a high quality line mixer for part of my keyboard rig so that has taken most of my time. Now that that is done, my next project is to dig right in to Ragnarok and write that review. I'll post some of my patches and might have a fiddle with the graphics too.

fluffy_little_something wrote: I suppose Ragnarök is good for people who are looking for fancy leads etc. that are not emulating anything. But that is not so much my world...

I have managed to emulate a Roland SH-101, Roland System 100, Roland Alpha-Juno, Korg Poly 800, Korg Poly 6, a Moog MG-1 and even an Electric Piano in my patch bank. If you do not like the synth (that is free btw) just move along to something else.

fluffy_little_something wrote:I know this is your baby so to speak, so you are obviously less objective, I can understand that :) I am not criticizing your synth, I am merely comparing it to the other stuff I use.
...and as I mentioned many times before (but you don't seem to get that), Ragnarök is NOT meant to compare to anything, as that is just a stupid objective if you already have those other synths. It is meant to bring something different to a setup, which it definitely does. Why would you want to have a synth that sounds and does the same as other synths you already have :shrug:

In this regard I'm VERY objective :x
fluffy_little_something wrote:I usually know what sound I want to program, what it should sound like. And I try to get to that by tweaking. Ragnarök is good at some things, but it can't do certain other things. Many of my patches simply require me to set pulse width very precisely. That is for instance why my little electric bass patch sounds wrong, it is simply not possible to give it the correct tonal shade without pw control.
So by now it should be clear to you that Ragnarök is meant as an instrument in it's own right, and to explore it's sonic capabilities and see where it will take you. This was also the target for building the hardware. It was never meant to replace or emulate any other synthesizer.

Take a MiniMoog for example, clearly an instrument in it's own right. Many other synths try to emulate it, with limited success because of it's very distinctive sound. At the same time the MiniMoog is pretty limited to a certain sound palette. And it is exactly that why so many people would love to have one, because a MiniMoog is absolutely king in doing ..... MiniMoog sounds.

Ragnarök should be viewed in the same vein :D
fluffy_little_something wrote:I suppose Ragnarök is good for people who are looking for fancy leads etc. that are not emulating anything. But that is not so much my world...
The whole point is that Ragnarök IS emulating something.... the hardware Ragnarök :D
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

AusDisciple wrote:I just downloaded the 1.1.0 version and will have a good play with this over the weekend.
CW, I really am going to write that review too. This week though, I've been busy customizing my Yamaha MC1204 mixing console to use as a high quality line mixer for part of my keyboard rig so that has taken most of my time. Now that that is done, my next project is to dig right in to Ragnarok and write that review. I'll post some of my patches and might have a fiddle with the graphics too.
No hurry, life is too short for that. First and foremost have fun with Ragnarök :D

Maomoondog wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote: I suppose Ragnarök is good for people who are looking for fancy leads etc. that are not emulating anything. But that is not so much my world...

I have managed to emulate a Roland SH-101, Roland System 100, Roland Alpha-Juno, Korg Poly 800, Korg Poly 6, a Moog MG-1 and even an Electric Piano in my patch bank. If you do not like the synth (that is free btw) just move along to something else.
Exactly 8)

And the factory preset bank has a Solina sound, also a Piano, several drum and percussion sounds, organs, different pads, several synth brass sounds (that normally should need a saw-wave, but Ragnarök does those anyway). The last release even has an Oberheim(-ish) sound.

Btw, Maomoondog, your sounds are pretty awesome :tu:

Maomoondog wrote:

I meant emulate instruments, not synths. That is what I use synths for mostly. Those synths you listed all have saw by the way, so you can only emulate a limited part of their capabilities.
Another aspect is the quality of an emulated sound, not just whether or not it is possible to emulate something in the first place.

I do like this synth, to a certain extent. Like with most any synth some things are nice about it, others not...

fluffy_little_something wrote:I do like this synth, to a certain extent. Like with most any synth some things are nice about it, others not...
You made it clear what you don't like, I (and now Maomoondog, and others like Kriminal before) made it clear why you should simply take it or leave it. Your continuous whine about what you want it to have is getting pretty old now. So again, take it or leave it, and lets leave it at that :roll:

Why? Because I like to see things getting improved and perfected. That simple. This is a public message board and I write here WHATEVER it is I don't like about any plugin including yours.

When you open a thread on your stuff you can't seriously expect that everybody will go, wow, super, perfect.

Also, when you put it as though your synth was some sort of untouchable monument, well, didn't you say there has been just a single device, which doesn't even work, anyway? Your original is NOT an institution like the Minimoog.

I am not whining about anything I want because indeed I do not need that synth. It is just another toy I stumbled upon on KVR, tried it, made a few patches for it, commented on it, that's it. Just like I do with many other plugins. I don't care if you change anything about it as indeed I have much better stuff already.

Viel Spaß noch bei der Selbstbeweihräucherung :roll:

@ fluffy_little_something - If you want / wish / need to emulate an instrument, use the Korg M1 legacy or a wav / sfz player. How many vst synths can really make a sax / piano / guitar sound real other than a rompler? We (Alphaville) used a fairlight on our third album, not to be a synth emu, but to use real world instruments / real world sounds in a synthetic way and to manipulate them to fit the song arrangement. If we wanted a synth bass or a synth pad, we would power up the Jupiter 8 / D-50 or Matrix 12 / Matrix 1000. Every synth has a unique sound (thankfully) all have plus and minus points (The DX7 never did or never will sound analogue) Ragnarock won't ever sound like a Prophet-5 or an ARP2600, but it's a whole lot of fun creating patches for it. And without a saw wave I still managed to get a close emulation of synths that have sawtooth :wink:

@ crimsonwarlock - Many thanks indeed, when I get a little bit more free time, I plan to create some more sounds and make another bank for it. I am mighty impressed and very much grateful for the time and effort both yourself and fullbucket have put into making this synth :)

Return to “Instruments”