(the product formerly known as) Epoch

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Come on Colin - Numerology 4 is out today and your program is the only thing which can ease my pain ;D

Well, perhaps a little progress update may ease your suffering a little.

I realised today an unfortunate detachment between step recording and the modular environment. Previously, one would enable step recording on a step sequencer, pick an input MIDI device, and it would record what you play. Which was nice, but just didn't feel flexible enough. So, a few hours of redesign and coding later, and step recording is now done via an input port on a sequencer's modular view. This may not sound like much of a change, but it is: you can now, for example, route a sequencer's output into another's input; process MIDI before recording it; or perhaps most useful of all, build your own pattern generation macros.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

This is probably covered back in the thread somewhere, but is this going to have a rack style GUI like Numerology, a modular style GUI like Bidule, or something else entirely?

I'm guessing Bidule like.

Somewhere between the two: the modular view is built from Reaktor style blocks and wires, but heavyweight modules, such as the sequencers, also have a Numerology-like rack interface. You can have both views open at the same time, which is how I tend to work.

I've been playing with the new recording functionality, and have come up with some interesting new compositional techniques. One is to route a predefined sequencer's output back into its own record input, but via a Chance Sieve module*. This gradually reduces the set of notes within the sequence; a pattern may start very complex, lots of intervals, but slowly, over time, will evolve until eventually settling upon a single note.

*Where a Sieve is a module that will split a MIDI stream into two or more streams, allowing you to only process a subset of the MIDI input. We have Sieves for MIDI note pitch, specific types of MIDI messages, MIDI channels, etc, as well as non-MIDI controlled sieves, such as the Logic Sieve, which allows one to split MIDI based on some arbitrary logic expression. A Chance Sieve randomly splits MIDI messages into one of two streams. It is parameterised to allow the chance of going to each output to be defined. Using a Sieve and ignoring the second output is a pretty common way of selecting only MIDI messages you are interested in. And of course, they can be chained together to build complex expression, such as "all MIDI notes on channel 5 with a velocity between 10 and 50 and a note pitch over 64, or any sysex, or any pitch-bends on channel 7."
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

More and more enticing features! Seriously can't wait for this to come - us PC users need this desperately! :D

Almost 3 years since this thread was started...

How close are we, will it be out before the end of the year?

colin@loomer wrote:Tell me about it, I can't believe it's mid-March already: at the beginning of the year, I would have happily bet money on the new product being out by now too! Seems I'm much better at coding audio software than estimating timescales.

Soon, my eager followers, soon... ! ;)
:oops:

It's looking likely that I'll have a beta by the end of this year or thereabouts, and then aim for a 1.0 release for some point in early 2015.

This is like The Stone Roses of plug-ins! ;)

will the beta still be named "(the product formerly known as) epoch" or will you finally (have to) reveal the winner of the naming contest? :lol:

taoyoyo wrote:This is like The Stone Roses of plug-ins! ;)
I pop back once a year to see if it's out.

I'm hoping for 2016

colin@loomer wrote:It's looking likely that I'll have a beta by the end of this year or thereabouts, and then aim for a 1.0 release for some point in early 2015.
"It's Christmas time... there's no need to be afraid... " :party:

colin@loomer wrote:It's looking likely that I'll have a beta by the end of this year or thereabouts, and then aim for a 1.0 release for some point in early 2015.
Beta! Yay! Over all, this sounds like a cross between Reaktor, Plogue and Numerology. I Don't have a Mac, so I don't know much about Numerology. Looking foreword to getting into, the (the product formerly known as) Epoch. :D

Is there a name for it yet?

colin@loomer wrote:Yes: I'm still aiming to get a public build out sometime before the chimes of midnight on January 1st 2014 (and I'm hoping that I don't cut it so close as to still be coding on New Year's Eve!) :P
:wink:

Can we this or next year expect that is really coming soon or more thereabouts
or was the 2015 a typo only and it means 2150?

Fingers still crossed for the next New Year's Eve!

Return to “Loomer”