Air Hybrid 3? Opinions, comparable with?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hybrid 3

sbangs_air wrote:Hello check out Air's deals here.

http://www.kvraudio.com/news/air-black- ... each-28088
Great price! Here's a demo track on their Soundcloud page:

https://soundcloud.com/airmusictech/hyb ... d-ten-eyck

Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

Brittlestem wrote:

I'd spend my money on Zebra2, given a choice. The only AIR instrument worth bothering with is Vacuum, IMO.
For the most part,I agree...Vacuum Pro is the best of the lot and can be compared to Sylenth1.In the case of Hybrid 3,is a nice sounding modern synth(but definitely not analog,if analog is what you seek.)At $150,I wouldn't touch Hybrid(but I bought it as part of a bundle pack...If memory serves,I paid $300 for Hybrid 3,Loom,Vacuum Pro,Xpand2,Velvet,Structure,Transfuser & Strike.
That said,Hybrid is decent for that modern sound and with the right programming,it gets more interesting(especially if PlugInGuru were to get his hands on it.)
Loom is also has a modern tone to it...but more textured and rich sounding(really don't like Loom's GUI though.)
If there is a sale on Hybrid 3 or you are interested in one of AIR's bundle packs,then I would recommend Hybrid...but otherwise,steer clear of Hybrid 3.

Hybrid is absolutely fabulous don't use it too much now but it's possibly on par with any "subtractive multi oscillator" digital synth both hardware or software and will be quite close with most analogs (virtual or real). If you do know how to do good programming it can get you there no problem. The gui enveloppes are tedious to get super fine balues you might need to slow down your mouse pr use the shift key. There might be some minimal sonic differences with the above at some fine detail somewhere but it's irrelevant.

Contenders in software are Dune 2, Spire, Synthmaster, Diva (even Virsyn Tera for digital) etc etc and all the other usual suspects.

Hi,
I played and programmed a bit with this Synth and I like the sound-creating possibilities of the instrument due to its modulation matrix. You can get some really weird sounds out of it. There is nothing to complain on that side. Also the 100 included wavetables are nice. Of course you can scan through them but don´t expect a PPG or BLOFELD experience here.

The Synth is 100% digital sounding and unluckily it is very thin also. In a mix with powerful VST (U-He Stuff e.g.) and powerful analog gear (Waldorf Synth e.g.) the HYBRID 3 won´t stand a chance to really break through without a lot of outboard help. I think you can compare the sonical appeal somehow to the KORG TRINITY (1st release version).

But for what it is, it is good. I will use it for background efx or percussion. But it never will be a leading instrument in my setup. That´s a pity because HYBRID 3 promised so much potential.

HYBRID 3 is veeeery low on CPU usage and that is a nice thing but therefore it lacks character, power and that little something it could need like smacky subbasssss, juicy filters really dirty distortion and so on. Most VST Synth I own are miles ahead regarding that aspects. Most time AIRs VST sounds sterile, absolutely clean and therefore boring (even if you distort it). But when it comes to total hard-lined modulation madness you can hear it becoming a little nasty and more interesting (within its limitated boundaries). Okay...I love experimentational music (GROBBING THRISTLE to just mention one band here) and crazy sound design in general but most people want to probably use HYBRID 3 for EDM and this group will have to live with the flatness of that instrument.

All in all I think the instrument is not seasonable anymore. I bought it for 1 Dollar at the sale and because of all the things mentioned above I think this is a fair price indeed and I will have my funtime with it because I know what I want out of it.

nice synth just put right fx on the track and it will shine like a star :)

nichttuntun wrote: The Synth is 100% digital sounding and unluckily it is very thin also.
Luckily in the right hands Hybrid 3 is not "thin" although I agree it is proudly digital. I use Digital as a compliment and Analog as an insult these days. While working with Hybrid 3 I coined the term "Modern Analog" where an instrument is capable of doing typical analog style pads, leads and basses but does so with a fresh updated sound rather than being an emulation of an old, tired, and weak analog hardware synth :wink:
nichttuntun wrote:But it never will be a leading instrument in my setup.
Hybrid 3 is in my default Template. It is a leading instrument in my setup and a perfect companion for Hive, Dune 2 and Sylenth 1 and no I don't do EDM. But I am a fan of modern sounds and find stale ancient analog sounds boring and lifeless.
nichttuntun wrote:HYBRID 3 promised so much potential.
It delivers completely on it's potential here. But then I know how to use Hybrid so..... :shrug:

Anyway you paid a freakin dollar for it......go have a play. :roll:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I would like to answer in full length but whatever I try I am told my message would contain spam. Maybe I have to wait till I have 5 posts together as a new member?

Okay, it worked. Got the fifth :)

I ment no quality judgement. I love both worlds. Digital synth like PD, FM or additive synthesis and analog substractive monsters. I own a lot of analog and digital hardware gear and it really makes no difference for me if something is hardware/software or analog/digital. I love sound and tools to provide them in general. For me something sounds like it sounds and there is nothing else about it. You can get usable sounds out of every sound making software or hardware. I always thought why should oneself limit his or herself on that side? Listen to people who make Musique Concrete. Everything is sound anyway and therefore everything is usable as a musician. I will play with HYBRID 3 for sure. I already did and my results where quite well. Somehow on some kind of level I like this thin and clean sounding VST a little bit. Enough to keep me going. :party:

nichttuntun wrote:Hi,
I played and programmed a bit with this Synth and I like the sound-creating possibilities of the instrument due to its modulation matrix. You can get some really weird sounds out of it. There is nothing to complain on that side. Also the 100 included wavetables are nice. Of course you can scan through them but don´t expect a PPG or BLOFELD experience here.

The Synth is 100% digital sounding and unluckily it is very thin also. In a mix with powerful VST (U-He Stuff e.g.) and powerful analog gear (Waldorf Synth e.g.) the HYBRID 3 won´t stand a chance to really break through without a lot of outboard help. I think you can compare the sonical appeal somehow to the KORG TRINITY (1st release version).

But for what it is, it is good. I will use it for background efx or percussion. But it never will be a leading instrument in my setup. That´s a pity because HYBRID 3 promised so much potential.

HYBRID 3 is veeeery low on CPU usage and that is a nice thing but therefore it lacks character, power and that little something it could need like smacky subbasssss, juicy filters really dirty distortion and so on. Most VST Synth I own are miles ahead regarding that aspects. Most time AIRs VST sounds sterile, absolutely clean and therefore boring (even if you distort it). But when it comes to total hard-lined modulation madness you can hear it becoming a little nasty and more interesting (within its limitated boundaries). Okay...I love experimentational music (GROBBING THRISTLE to just mention one band here) and crazy sound design in general but most people want to probably use HYBRID 3 for EDM and this group will have to live with the flatness of that instrument.

All in all I think the instrument is not seasonable anymore. I bought it for 1 Dollar at the sale and because of all the things mentioned above I think this is a fair price indeed and I will have my funtime with it because I know what I want out of it.
Yet another Hybrid 3 thread... :roll:

Anyway, I think you should learn how to program it before you say it sounds thin. I agree with what Tek wrote.

Prompted by the other Hybrid 3 thread I have unearthed it again after I had basically ceased to use it because of the GUI mostly. But I got new glasses meanwhile so the GUI is ok now, except for the fiddly envelopes, that is.

I like its sound. I don't think it is weaker than U-he synths' sound.
If you want more bass, there are several equalizers.
Hybrid sounds bright by nature, so you might want to reduce the Hype High control a bit. In fact, I think its bass is more solid than Sylenth1's for instance.
The distortion unit sounds pretty good to my ears.
From your description you don't really want a musical synth, but a noise maker :hihi:

I like that Hybrid 3 sounds like the sounds I like from early 80's music, and that without my having to do much, without my having to tame and process some analog hardware.

I find that it fits in a mix pretty well. Its there and it doesnt try to dominate or make me dizzy.

It has alot n common with SM One.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Anyway, I think you should learn how to program it before you say it sounds thin. I agree with what Tek wrote.

Prompted by the other Hybrid 3 thread I have unearthed it again after I had basically ceased to use it because of the GUI mostly. But I got new glasses meanwhile so the GUI is ok now, except for the fiddly envelopes, that is.

I like its sound. I don't think it is weaker than U-he synths' sound.
If you want more bass, there are several equalizers.
Hybrid sounds bright by nature, so you might want to reduce the Hype High control a bit. In fact, I think its bass is more solid than Sylenth1's for instance.
The distortion unit sounds pretty good to my ears.
From your description you don't really want a musical synth, but a noise maker :hihi:

I like that Hybrid 3 sounds like the sounds I like from early 80's music, and that without my having to do much, without my having to tame and process some analog hardware.
I don't have much to add, not sure about the early 80's sound though :neutral:
Anyways, I paid some real money for Hybrid when it came out and I still favor it over something like Sylenth1 (Zzz...) for my tracks.
Just take some time to dive in, zap through the patches, learn to program it, use some FX and there you go ... or not.
At the risk of repeating myself ... I'd really like to see a H3 one-synth challenge one day ...

Just picked this up in the black Friday sale for £1.00!! Totally insane price. What's not to like??
Easy install, up and running in minutes and the presets just are so inspiring.
Back to a more usual $99.00 today. I'm not gloating. Much :D
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

KTlin wrote:
Caine123 wrote:with which synth would you compare it
I'd say Omnisphere and Alchemy.
There is NO comparison between Hybrid 3 and Omnisphere.

ramseysounds wrote: Easy install, up and running in minutes
If you don't mind, did Hybrid require the installation of the iLok License Manager ? Simon kind of eluded to a new C/P method that installs "Pace Eden". I'm not sure if Eden is new or that's what the old software was called. I asked him for clarification but I think the post got lost in the shuffle. :?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Instruments”