Something is cooking: RAGNAROK - RELEASED !!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Ragnarök

crimsonwarlock wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:All I said is that it has a limited scope and because of that it is not so good at emulating certain sounds.
That's like saying a guitar has a very little scope because it doesn't do trumpets :dog:
speak for yourself! i've done many Kenny G. covers with a banjo and a distortion pedal that
you'd swear i was playing a real sax :x
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:
crimsonwarlock wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:All I said is that it has a limited scope and because of that it is not so good at emulating certain sounds.
That's like saying a guitar has a very little scope because it doesn't do trumpets :dog:
speak for yourself! i've done many Kenny G. covers with a banjo and a distortion pedal that
:smack:

:D
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

BlackWinny wrote:
DrewDale wrote:Nice new GUI tweaks :tu:
Sadly I don't understand how to create an INI file even though I have read the instructions over and over in the manual, looks like I am back to the default colours again, or stick with the previous version :(
It is very easy. You see the original INI file?
Open it and at the first line write this:
          Bitmap_Back = c:\xxxxxxxxxx\yyyyyyyyyy\zzzzzzzzzz\back.png
instead of this:
          Bitmap_Back = default

That's all for the background.

And do the same for all the other lines of the group "Editor".

Now you can change the content of these PNG files with your graphical editor.

That's all.
:D
Where is the INI file ? There's not one in the download folder :?
:tu: All is good

DrewDale wrote:Where is the INI file ? There's not one in the download folder :?
Uhoh, if so then download again, it definitely should be in there (ragnarok.ini).
After that, copy the ragnarok.ini to the location where your DLL resides (typically a VSTPlugins folder).

Cheers, Björn

PS: Thanks BlackWinny for jumping in and explaining how to use of the *.ini entries! I have to catch up all the new messages that arrived... :oops:

Full Bucket wrote:
DrewDale wrote:Where is the INI file ? There's not one in the download folder :?
Uhoh, if so then download again, it definitely should be in there (ragnarok.ini).
After that, copy the ragnarok.ini to the location where your DLL resides (typically a VSTPlugins folder).
Hmm, wouldn't it be safer to move it all including the dll and resource folder to make sure it's aligned? I guess the older versions don't default to the resource folder for GUI or check for ini file at all for instance?

beltrom wrote:Hmm, wouldn't it be safer to move it all including the dll and resource folder to make sure it's aligned? I guess the older versions don't default to the resource folder for GUI or check for ini file at all for instance?
There is no actual resource folder, Ragnarök only needs the DLL and the INI-file to work. The default GUI is inside the DLL. The skinning system simply overrides the default GUI graphics, and therefor you are completely free to put those overriding graphics anywhere you want on your harddisk. Of course it would be logical to put those in a 'resource' folder close to your DLL, but you are free to do so or not.

The bundled graphics in the download are NOT used by the plugin itself, they are bundled so you don't have to extract them from the DLL by yourself.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

crimsonwarlock wrote:
beltrom wrote:Hmm, wouldn't it be safer to move it all including the dll and resource folder to make sure it's aligned? I guess the older versions don't default to the resource folder for GUI or check for ini file at all for instance?
There is no actual resource folder, Ragnarök only needs the DLL and the INI-file to work. The default GUI is inside the DLL. The skinning system simply overrides the default GUI graphics, and therefor you are completely free to put those overriding graphics anywhere you want on your harddisk. Of course it would be logical to put those in a 'resource' folder close to your DLL, but you are free to do so or not.

The bundled graphics in the download are NOT used by the plugin itself, they are bundled so you don't have to extract them from the DLL by yourself.
Thanks for the clarification! That explains why the "default GUI" wasn't explicitly targeted in the ini but just used "default" as a "keyword"

beltrom wrote:Thanks for the clarification! That explains why the "default GUI" wasn't explicitly targeted in the ini but just used "default" as a "keyword"
The 'default' in the INI-file is there only to keep all the graphics pointers consistently in the INI-file. You can simply remove those and only have the keywords for the specific graphics you want to override (e.g. only the GUI background). This is also documented in the user manual ;)

layzer wrote:
crimsonwarlock wrote:
Really? Or are you kidding? :) I have never tried that of course, so who knows, maybe it indeed sounds like a sax :)

fluffy_little_something wrote:
layzer wrote:
crimsonwarlock wrote:
Really? Or are you kidding? :) I have never tried that of course, so who knows, maybe it indeed sounds like a sax :)
oh yeah... you can even get a super convincing reedy breath attack if you pluck the banjo string with a saxophone reed :hyper:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:oh yeah... you can even get a super convincing reedy breath attack if you pluck the banjo string with a saxophone reed :hyper:
Damn, now you made me think about how to implement a 'saxophone reed plucking' mode for Ragnarök :D

I mean, THAT is a proper feature request :clown:

crimsonwarlock wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:The overdrive unit is not really fond of chords :D
It is very fond of chords, when you know how to use overdrive in a sound. Ask any rock guitar player :hihi:

Seriously, all your comments seem to suggest you're not that good in handling a certain instrument and it's intricacies. You seem to approach every instrument (as you demonstrated in your comments) with the exact same premise: can it emulate X or Y. You have no idea how much that limits your potential of doing stunning things with it (and Ragnarök is without a doubt capable of stunning sounds).

But I don't care what you do or don't do with it. I'm much more interested what people ARE doing with it :D
Indeed, a guitar has a very limited scope, but then again, it is a specific instrument and as such not supposed to do anything else. But with synthesizers flexibility has always been one of their biggest strengths. Even the Minimoog has been used for all kinds of sounds, from bass to leads to drums sounds and what not. That's the whole point of synths.

Many developers have realized that there is no point in sticking to the original when making emulations, which is why there is Oddity 2, Imposcar 2, Minimonsta, SEM V, etc, all of them going way beyond the original, which after all was not limited on purpose, but in hindsight simply many steps behind in terms of synth evolution, not least because of cost issues decades ago.

So, in my view there is no reason why a modern synth plugin should not have velocity sensitivity and such things that are standard today and would not change anything about the synth architecture as such.

Of course I personally would go way beyond that :hihi: But just because I say what I think, doesn't mean I expect you to change anything. So, I don't really get the fuss.

Well, I hate Rock music, to me distortion is noise and it kind of hurts my ears. So of course I have no clue how Rock guitarists use overdrive with chords, I couldn't care less. I have made at least a thousand patches so far (including factory patches for two developers, so they can't be that bad), but not a single Rock guitar emulation. If anything I only use such an effect for monophonic sounds, and very sparsely, like on the bass I had been tweaking on. I later switched to poly mode while overdrive was still dialed in. That was when the overdrive got on my nerves.
Interestingly, there is no Rock guitar emulation in the presets (or I subconsciously ignored it to protect myself :hihi: ), although Ragnarök is perfect for that kind of sound I suppose, thanks to pulse/square and the overdrive.

This has nothing to do with intricacies, Ragnarök is a relatively simple and limited synth. And I am fine with that :tu: Now, if merely stating that obvious fact is already too much for you, that is not my fault, maybe you are just too sensitive about it. Nor is there anything wrong with my suggesting improvements, feature requests, etc. People here on KVR do it all the time no matter what the new plugin is. And most developers don't take it the wrong way, good ones even listen and welcome the feedback.

By the way, when I look at the presets, there are also attempted emulations in there, so don't put it as if emulating other instruments is only my weird idea :)

Another suggestion :hihi: It might make sense to make the default for the interval 0 instead of +7. Not that 0 is the way it will be used most of the time, but it is very simple to turn the knob to the max, i.e.+7, while it is not that easy to turn it to 0.0.

fluffy_little_something wrote:blablablabla.....
I've stopped reading your ongoing drivel by now. Move on, get a life, etc.

I'll respond to you when you have a real support question.

I have a life, a good life, with lots of spare time :)
I won't have any support questions, only a few more patches maybe, and suggestions :hihi:

fluffy_little_something wrote:...only a few more patches maybe, and suggestions :hihi:
I actually like your patches, especially that DX-bass 8)

Suggestions are no problem, we are open to that, as long as you (please... there, I said it) will refrain from the now pretty old discussion about what you think Ragnarök would need for it to be this or that to you. By now we all know where you stand, no need to regurgitate that over and over again. You are simply not scoring points with that.

The way it is currently, has been received my many users as a great instrument. It is currently running third in Numanoid's poll about the best freeware synth of 2014, now why do you think is that ;)

Just to put it out here once again: Björn and I are building this thing for ourselves above all else, but gladly share that for free with everyone. Björn builds instruments that HE wants to have, not what YOU want to have. But he shares that for free with the community, so YOU can have what HE has. My stance on Ragnarök is exactly the same. So Ragnarök will always be what Björn and I want it to be, and suggestions will only make it into the synth if he and I actually want/like that. It is as simple as that.

Return to “Instruments”