Please Bitwig Add a right click erase in the Piano roll !!!

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As far right click to erase notes goes, I don't think its a good idea.

In FL studio, its quick to remove a note, but then you don't have a right click context menu. Also in FL studio if you want to select a group you have to use the ctrl modifier key.

What would help, is if you could use the erase tool on more than one piano key at the same time. Currently it locks to the first key you click. Being able to erase notes vertically, as well as horizontally, at the same time would allow for faster editing, as you can simply press and hold '4', then drag.

Concerning group selection - FL Studio has the "magic lasso" function, where you just circle a group of notes without pressing a mouse button and they get automatically selected.
Apart from that, Ctrl-modifier to select several notes is nothing i would oppose...

And for the context menu - why is this needed anyway? These are all functions that have their own shortcuts which have been the same in most applications for decades and should be familiar to everyone: Ctrl-C (or "command"-C, if you're on a mac) to copy, Ctrl-V to paste, Ctrl-D to duplicate,...the only thing that doesn't have a shortcut in the context menu is "Unlock all layers" and i'm not even sure what that does :ud:

Seriously, what does "unlock all layers" do? Can't seem to find anything in the manual.

Redukt wrote:And for the context menu - why is this needed anyway?
I use it all the time. It allows me to make music and drink tea at the same time. :)

As you also mention, there are standard shortcut keys, so its easy to select notes with the mouse and press ctrl+x to delete notes anyway.

goatgirl wrote:
Redukt wrote:And for the context menu - why is this needed anyway?
I use it all the time. It allows me to make music and drink tea at the same time. :)
Fair enough - can't argue with that :D

And yeah, deleting notes with Ctr+X is possible (also with just the "Delete" key, even shorter) - i think the best solution would be to add another edit tool that behaves just like the "Pen"-tool but:

01. Erases notes with a right click
02. Allows to move and shorten/lengthen notes with pressed left mouse button
03. Select notes via Ctrl-left mouse click

That's all i really want. It is so tiresome to constantly switch beween pointer and pen tool, imho.

And for the context menu
I'm not complaining but I don't get the motivation behind appreciating popup menu even though BW is literally trying to avoid gui overlapping.

Redukt wrote:i think the best solution would be to add another edit tool that behaves just like the "Pen"-tool but:

01. Erases notes with a right click
02. Allows to move and shorten/lengthen notes with pressed left mouse button
03. Select notes via Ctrl-left mouse click

That's all i really want. It is so tiresome to constantly switch beween pointer and pen tool, imho.
+1 on this feature request. We need a tool like this in the editor. :pray:
Mac Studio M1 Max 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64GB RAM, 4TB SSD | Logic Pro 10.7.5 | Cubase Pro 12 | Nuendo 12 | Studio One 6 | Seagate 8TB external HDD | Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd Gen | Akai MPK261 | Akai MPC X

What would help, is if you could use the erase tool on more than one piano key at the same time. Currently it locks to the first key you click. Being able to erase notes vertically, as well as horizontally, at the same time would allow for faster editing, as you can simply press and hold '4', then drag.
Yes holding 4 in arrangement is really good & slick. If it worked as nicely to "rub out" notes in the piano roll that would be really great imo.

Then again, if right click currently serves no function of value, may as well have it erase notes or set it to a user definable second tool like you can do in logic.

I've never experienced right-click erase myself but from what I can tell it seems like a lot of people rate it. :-)

askewd wrote:
have it erase notes or set it to a user definable second tool like you can do in logic.
+1 to be a user definable second tool like you can do in logic.. brilliant idea. Everybody would be happy. :hug:
including me :roll:
Ok, speaking of editing, one more :idea:
I'd love to see those icons that can left-align or right-align notes, clips, etc.. :love:
You think I should send a FR to support ? +1 if you do.

+ audition to the selected notes, it would be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HZB0lkunWA
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G700s-91 ... B00BFOEY3Y

We need more mouse buttons for Piano roll :hihi:
VST Mappings for Bitwig
--Bitwig 5/ Live10 Suite/ Maschine/ HP X360 8Core--

more more

I agree.
The rightclick for delete, rightclick hold and drag mouse to delete more.
leftclick once to put notes in, leftclick + hold and drag up down or left right to switch place at the same time right after you put a note in. I dont know if that make anysense. There is a reason why fl studios pianoroll is soo fast and these 4 options are the reason. Workflow for notes
desktop: windows 10 x64, i5 4690k, 32gb ram 1600mhz, 2x ssd 128 gb +2x3 tb, asus gtx 970, asus proz gamer motherboard, no external audiocard
laptop: windows 10 x64, i7 mq4700, 12gb ram 1600mhz, 1 tb, asus gt 750

As a long term FL User (since v1.0) I agree that the piano roll of FL Studio just rocks! I tried Cubase, Logic, Reaper, Sonar, Presonus Studio, Ableton Live... nothing beats FL's piano roll.
And if I remember correctly Fruity's piano roll is named very often when it comes to best piano roll. Strange, that other's DAW developers do not adopt the ideas from FL's piano roll to their own product.

For me, it's a no-go to choose a tool from a context menu in order to be able to set notes and delete notes for instance. Setting notes, moving notes, adjusting note length, selecting notes, deleting notes should be possible with just 2 mouse buttons without having to select a tool from a context menu to do so.

in FL Studio the mouse is the primary input device, other DAW users can use the MIDI keyboards too :hihi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTBGAijU6i8
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Return to “Bitwig”