FL Studio 12 BETA available

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
FL Studio All Plugins Edition

Mivo wrote: The "free upgrades thing", for example: Often, it appears (comes across that way) to be mentioned in a way that reminds me of someone giving someone else a gift, perfectly voluntarily, even with a comment that there are no hooks and expectations, and then proceeds to rub it in the face of the receiver with tedious frequency. Not that I feel that free upgrades are a "gift". I appreciate them very much and believe they represent excellent value and make FL Studio a genuinely attractive investment, but they were nonetheless something that directly influenced my decision to make the purchase. This is why I feel that I did pay for those features that are added after the purchase, even though you don't charge me $150 every other year.
You know, "lifetime free updates" doesn't mean anything else than "if there are updates, you'll get them for free".
It of course doesn't mean YOUR lifetime, and it doesn't even mean there will be updates (& it even less means that new features are voted democratically, as soon as devs answer, some seem to believe that)
DOLPH WILL PWNZ0R J00r LAWZ!!!!

I LOVE the bluntness and humor. Can we talk about multiple time signatures now? Can we be blunt with that?

memyselfandus wrote:I LOVE the bluntness and humor. Can we talk about multiple time signatures now? Can we be blunt with that?
Yes!!!!!
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

the multiple signatures problem, aka "I can't do music because the bar # label on the timeline doesn't look correct if I change the timesig of my patterns"...

Yes, correct. That is a very important thing.

Right, those people who want to have the "1" of a measure to visually align with the "1" on the grid are whiny idiots.

Come on gol, you often have a point, but you have to admit that this feature request is completely reasonable. It's not in FLS as of now, ok, we get it. But don't mock people for wanting something that makes a lot of sense musically and which is very common.

...and which ALL other DAWs did correctly, as they were supposed to.

FL, a DAW made by musically illiterate, for musically illiterate. Hey you should definitely market it under that slogan! :tu:

Why is everyone trying to turn FL into a conformant corporate-run DAW ?

I have all sorts of things I don't like about it, but I never ever want it to be anything other than Gol's directed vision, because otherwise it will just become yet another clone in the same way most of the others are. :borg:

(I realise most of the people complaining already own other DAWs, and just seem to be trolling when they should know better by now)

:phones:

EvilDragon wrote:...and which ALL other DAWs did correctly, as they were supposed to.

FL, a DAW made by musically illiterate, for musically illiterate. Hey you should definitely market it under that slogan! :tu:
This statement was intended to be funny? Didn't worked out well.. :roll:
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

paterpeter wrote:Right, those people who want to have the "1" of a measure to visually align with the "1" on the grid are whiny idiots.
well, yeah.

I think I picked the wrong job. Is making music THAT easy that it has to be "connect the dots" or it's not doable?
I would find it hilarious to hear a programmer say "I can't place my control here because it's not snapping to the grid". Even with goddamn legos a child can stick a 4-stud brick to another 4-stuck brick & doesn't need each stud to be labelled for that.

What if the timeline had no numbering? It'd be impossible to make music?

tony tony chopper wrote:I would find it hilarious to hear a programmer say "I can't place my control here because it's not snapping to the grid".
Wrong analogy there, gol, and you know it. One has nothing to do with the other. Of course it's possible to align things to the current timeline, but things DO get out of whack if you use various time signatures in the project. CONSISTENCY is important, hence why it's also important to line up the timeline according to the time signatures.

Hell, it doesn't even have to make the timeline wider or anything. Just make the play cursor go faster or slower according to the time signature of the pattern.

Example: we have two patterns, both have 4 bars, one is in 4/4, the other is in 3/4. Both would take the same amount of blocks on the timeline - 8 blocks. During first 4 blocks, play cursor would go normally, and during the next 4 blocks, it would go faster, because 3 beats per bar end up sooner than 4 beats per bar. And everything would align nicely with the timeline! Pretty much the same behaviour of "linear grid" ruler mode in Cubase, for example.

I suppose this is also the reason why FL never exports time signatures in its rendered MIDI. You know, some other applications could get a helluva lot of use of that info if it happened.

EvilDragon wrote: FL, a DAW made by musically illiterate, for musically illiterate.
I know you're trying to be funny, but yeah, we're mostly musically illiterate, if that means not having been taught solfege (even though Fred is a bass player).
Maybe that's part of the success? In the past, the few musicians who couldn't read a score sheet (Hendrix?), were seen as exceptions, today it might be the opposite.

But be happy if you're one of the few pedants who can only swear by non-4/4 music, as you pointed out, most sequencers are designed for you.

tony tony chopper wrote:But be happy if you're one of the few pedants who can only swear by non-4/4 music, as you pointed out, most sequencers are designed for you.
Thing is, gol, FL does have some really nifty features, and I could definitely get some mileage out of it. But it has those nasty little things like this one we're talking about here are showstoppers.

Anyways please take a look on the example I provided in my previous post, and tell me your honest opinion about it.

Yeah, I was jabbing and jesting a bit with that "musically illiterate" comment, but all in good humour.
Last edited by EvilDragon on Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EvilDragon wrote: but things DO get out of whack if you use various time signatures in the project.
like what?

Btw, as I keep pointing out, you can add your own labels to the playlist, and effectivly defining your own bar #'s if you want. FL makes it easy to create a series of labels.

EvilDragon wrote:
Example: we have two patterns, both have 4 bars, one is in 4/4, the other is in 3/4. Both would take the same amount of blocks on the timeline - 8 blocks. During first 4 blocks, play cursor would go normally, and during the next 4 blocks, it would go faster, because 3 beats per bar end up sooner than 4 beats per bar. And everything would align nicely with the timeline! Pretty much the same behaviour of "linear grid" ruler mode in Cubase, for example.
I know Cubase doesn't have a timeline working the same way. FL's is linear in song time, Cubase in absolute time (I believe). Different choices. I think I made the right one, for a sequencer. For a video player, I'd probably go for absolute time.
Last edited by tony tony chopper on Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Actually Cubase can have multiple timelines ("ruler tracks", they call them). And they can switch between linear time (each bar changes width depending on tempo/time sig), and linear grid (all bars are exactly the same size, like in FL playlist, but the play cursor changes speed depending over which bar it passes, according to tempo/time sig). Or was that in PT, I forget. But I know a few (not all!) DAWs do have this feature.

Are you saying something like "linear grid" mode with play cursor changing speed, in order for patterns with different time signatures to match with barlines in playlist, is something totally impossible to happen for FL?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”