Did you leave 'logic' for 'live' ?? Or vice versa ?? If so..................

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

MaF wrote:Went from Logic to Cubase 10 years ago and then to Live 3 years ago.
Great workflow for all kinds of grooving music. Session View and the implementation of drum racks and Live's own instruments/FXs makes it very easy to create and automate. Most of the time I don't use 3rd party instruments anymore. When I get Push the usability will improve even more.

And I do not know why people complain about Live's UI. It's fantastic because it emphasizes simple, clear and CPU friendly graphics over shiny UI effects that distract from making music.

Same for me, I love the GUI and the concepts behind Live.
dedication to flying

thanks for all the replies. would like to address some points properly, but not likely till the end of the weekend

thanks again :tu:

Trying to leave Logic 9 for Live 9, using strictly the arranger view. Tend to like its GUI, how it works better than Logic9 on recent OS X versions (no gui lag on any plugin), VST support, also some things it allows you to do much faster, though I hate its piano roll, its way of step editing and its severe pdc problems on large plugin chains (still not a problem if you work with audio/bounces/recordings and keep the CPU usage low). Can't fully adapt yet; I can see how Studio One makes a much better alternative for Logic.

You are in the same boat as I was... I was using Logic 9 on Snow Leopard and I was on the fence with Logic 10 so I bought Live Intro to test. I was using Live 9.1 Intro in arrange view with a pop up window for the session view. I was starting to get a handle on it when I got into an argument with Ableton on upgrade cost... I thought they wanted too much to upgrade from Live Intro. It was going to cost me way more than buying Logic X with a lot more stuff included. At about the same time, I downloaded Studio One Pro 2 and started messing around with it... I found it was better on cpu than Live and was the stuff I liked about Logic without a lot of the stuff I didn't like... and the time stretching/loop thing was more like I wanted than Live anyway... Picked it up for $110. No brainer actually. And I've owned and or tried everything out there...

Presonus is a really good company also so I'm pretty happy with the outcome. YMMV.

:phones:

If it were just for the arranger view, I probably wouldn't use Live as well. I happen to like to included instruments in Suite (and use them more than the ones included in Logic), but I wouldn't change DAWs for it. It was the Session view in Live that made me abandon Logic.
So I agree, if you work strictly in arranger view, Logic seems the better choice. And Studio One is probably very good as well, but I never used that.

I use logic x primarily atm because I am in the final stretch of college and we use logic and pro tools (we get to choose what we want to work in fortunately between the two) however I have worked SEVERAL projects in both studio one and bitwig. I recommend checking them both out however I would recommend staying on logic x until s1 v3 or bitwig v 1.2 because both lack several things and I spend some time on the bitwig kvr forums and people complain about its audio quality within each update they fix one part but open up a hole to another part.

Logic can get annoying, apple may be sneaking stuff in with logic. Goes to show with the nband EQ in the yosemite update in the AU plugins, really cool EQ that wasn't announced and it is incredible, no other company would add an EQ to their software and not alert their consumers. Logic is a lot of under the hood power compared to most DAWs, it truly takes some time to learn.

Take it from a dude who has wasted a lot of time while being in class playing with random DAWs though, dont switch DAWs unless there is something that is bothering you incredibly much, every DAW has benefits and pluses for each person, there is almost no perfect DAW for anyone...
• Logic Pro 10.8.1
• MacBook Pro 2023 - M2 MAX - 96 GB RAM
• Focusrite Red 8Line + UAD Satellite

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”