ummm...do you use mastering presets?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am considering on getting some waves mastering tools.

Of course, after I said I was not considering adding anything more... :dog: :lol: :help:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

What about Ozone6? :ud:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote:What about Ozone6? :ud:
:lol:
That may happen!!

I am kinda seeing also how many people use the presets as well. :)
Barry

What does it mean to use a preset? Does that mean you load it and DON'T TOUCH ANY KNOBS? Or maybe you tweak a few knobs all-the-while afraid something bad might happen!? How do you know you've gone too far with a preset, and have to reload it?! And then do you change to a NEW preset because the last one "didn't work"?

Precisely!!!!
Barry

Nope to mastering presets.

Which Waves mastering tools are you considering Barry?

Yeah, I remember presets... I like to use them for synths occasionally.
How you order your processes makes a big difference. EQ or compressor first?
Sometimes it requires some trail and error.

I usually go for EQ first.

Doug...good question. I really am not sure now. :lol:
Barry

:lol: you may have just saved yourself some money then.

ps, Ozone 6 seems to be getting a bit of a kicking elsewhere at KVR currently (though Ozone5 looks better!)...

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... &start=210

There are some good ones in Live. I generally use them as a start point and then consider what I might want to do to tweak them as they're not quite right for the track in some way, such as adding too much gain or they have the effect of boosting a frequency band that doesn't need boosting, etc.

I'm not so sure I would want to use presets though for my stuff, but if i did i would probably use something like ozone and alloy for a good quick job.
:borg:

Some years ago I had a friend gift me his music PC and Ozone was one of the tools on there. He did a U-turn and asked for it back, and I haven't had it since. Even in the version from 7 or 8 years ago I remember it being a really good piece of software with a lot of tools.

Yeah, now that I think of it I will stick with Ozone and see how that goes...
Barry

I don't think it is a good idea to use presets for mastering. They can make a good starting point though.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

The Toontrack EZMix2 Mastering Presets are very good. Even just as a rough guide. There is virtually no draw on CPU. They really have some excellent stuff in there. If you like something and want to refine it further with your 'big boy toys' then at least you have a solid place to start from.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Return to “Production Techniques”