How many compressors is enough?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Haha thats the same question I asked when I or some buddies got GAS.

If I were you, I'll stick with 2 or 3 of what you have, sell the others. Too much weapons seems cool but is also confusing, too time consuming, and redundant if you're looking for function. From all compressors I have, I find I mostly use "standard issues" like 1176, LA2A, and my SSL Duende channel comp for tracks, stripBUS for 2buss duties, and Elephant for limiter. Currently saving money for a GSSL hardware clone. If what you're looking is color, you can get that with something else.

to me it's a bit like eq, many comp can be made to sound close so i'don t like much limitation like fixed timings/ ratio ect in general , colored or not i can just use some high quality saturators if i want some color cause i m not after a particular sound signature,the sound of 1176, la2a ect these probably sound great but what ever sound good, it don't matter for my needs the music i produce.

if you are like me i advice you to first try the tdr feedback comp and get confortable using it...then a/b it to each plugin you are tempted to buy you might save some cash, and if you add dc8c you will save even more especially if you use some saturators with these to get more control on the dynamic/color but depends the needs, personal preferences we all like different tools so..
Analog electronic drum samples (Free demo pack)
http://www.syntheticwav.com

:shrug:

In live, the glue comp is especially effective for things. PA mcompressor has useful advantages is some cases. NI supercharger GT is totally unique. The NI classic comps have purpose, especially the dbx160 on bass guitar. I love varicomp, but I also really dig the comps in VRM.

Might part with some just to clear room, but then again maybe not. They have different uses in different situations. So "enough" depends on the individual and what they are doing.

hibidy wrote:NI supercharger GT is totally unique.
This is especially true for electronic music. Meh bassdrum -> Supercharger GT -> Fat Bassdrum :D

@OP: Imho only Supercharger GT and UBK-1 are really unique (and maybe VBC)... I also like to use stuff like the Glue, DC8C, Feedback Comp, and so on, though to be honest I think most of them are interchangeable.
I really dig u-he though I'm not a fan of the toolbox approach, at least not when it comes to compressors.
You waste time tweaking the toolbox compressor instead of just slapping on the compressor you used for that one task which worked perfectly well the last 50 times.
I would say with DC8C you already have a "presswerk-like" compressor, so if any, better get something like UBK-1.

See, now this is where I get upset :hihi:

You just HAD to mention kush, you just HAD to make me click on the link and it just HAD to mention that it's on sale :ud:

How many compressors is enough?
dont fall into the trap.

I currently only own Cytomic The Glue which seems nice enough for Bus compression duties.

For me I'll be buying Compassion and i'll keep The glue because it's so good. So all in all 2 is probably enough for me.

For multiband compression duties I plan on buying Bluecat MB-7 and using Compassion.
Last edited by V0RT3X on Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:borg:

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Eleventy three
In fact, the true answer is 42.
(but it's complicated to explain why)

With different gear there are basically two approaches:
1.) you stick to few and explore the microcosmos during a longer period of time
2.) you buy lots of different stuff and during a longer period of time you develop the instinct to instantly choose the right one.

In my experience, the ideal way is a mixture of 1.) and 2.), resulting in two consequences:
A.)You acquire a lot of stuff, and after a while you develop the instinct to choose the appropriate one.
B.) in the same time, you focus specially on a few of them so that you can basically cover your needs with those.

The crucial thing is that in any case you need lot of time. That's the currency one has to pay for experience.
But then again, it's a nice feeling, when from time to time you experience that your intuition has learned to do the right thing.

To the original question:
I think, Presswerk is in any case a good addition. U-he is just a brand that stands for highest quality and for that kind of know-how that saves you time when you're in a hurry.

Here's a conversational bone: the more amateur you are as a musician/pro-du-cah, the more compressors (you think) you need.

Not making friends here, nope. :D

ariston wrote:Here's a conversational bone: the more amateur you are as a musician/pro-du-cah, the more compressors (you think) you need.

Hehe, tell that to CLA or the other pro's (Not taking a jab at you)

Just different ways or working man
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

ariston wrote:Here's a conversational bone: the more amateur you are as a musician/pro-du-cah, the more compressors (you think) you need.

that's probably true to some extent, though having many compressors doesn't make you a noob same as having few compressors doesn't make you a pro.
I admit I have bought too many compressors but in retrospect my biggest mispurchase was COMPassion.
Although you can get almost any compression behaviour out of it, you will not get the same results like you get with so called "character compressors". I fear, the same goes for presswerk or any other "one to rule them all" compressor.

@hibidy: I don't want to say it's a must have... but it IS a must have :hihi:

how many are there? at least 4 of each that's the answer + maybe 2 more of each for backup.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

@ariston I'm definitely in the "amateur pro-du-cah" camp, and to a certain extent it's true in my case. I think the route cause for me is hearing mix engineer explaining they got this sound by using such and such, but missing a very important fact that these people are skilled at what they do. Touching on Arrested Developments comment, they have spent a long time building this skill. The same thing doesn't occur in the instrument world, no one really believes that if this by X brand of guitar that they'll be able to play like them. But somehow with mix tools I felt that I could achieve professional results with the right tools, how naïve and arrogant.

Mix engineers I think are a relatively humble lot, they seem to praise the virtues of gear before themselves (and I don't mean when they are promoting an item). Imagine Mariah Carey being told she sounded fantastic on a record and then explaining it was down to the mic and pre-amp.

I love being an amateur!

BTW, this is pretty false. None of the top end "actually making recordings that people listen to" stick with just a minor set of comps. They might have an overall favorite, but people in the recording industry don't pine after all those comps just because they have nothing better to do ;)

Dr.Gunjah wrote:

that's probably true to some extent, though having many compressors doesn't make you a noob same as having few compressors doesn't make you a pro.
I admit I have bought too many compressors but in retrospect my biggest mispurchase was COMPassion.
Although you can get almost any compression behaviour out of it, you will not get the same results like you get with so called "character compressors". I fear, the same goes for presswerk or any other "one to rule them all" compressor.

@hibidy: I don't want to say it's a must have... but it IS a must have :hihi:
I hear you on compassion, but I think presswerk is not the same gig. It's not the same as a full on emulation of certain gear but it's very convincing and has a lot of it's own character. IMO :)
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Return to “Effects”