One of my Bx8 monitors has died... time for an upgrade?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Howdy.

One of my beloved and trusty M-Audio Studiophile BX8s (like these ones https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6189/6086 ... 8a078b.jpg ) died last night :( I've had them 10 years and love them but maybe it's time to let them go and upgrade to something new. I doubt I'll be able to get the power supply in the dead one fixed, must be impossible as these are long long discontinued.

So what do people reckon? I was thinking of getting something a bit smaller anyway, the original BX8s are massive and probably overkill for my room anyway (its about 9ft by 13 ft). Maybe a 6" or 7" speaker. Not looking to spend loads over £400 if possible, preferably less. Are the new M-Audio speakers worth considering since I've spent 10 years listening to my BX8s and know them very well?

Ta!

true? what kind of music you do?

Turello wrote:true? what kind of music you do?
Electronic mostly, kind of Industrial downbeat breakbeats dubby, bit of techno here and there. I want a flat response anyway in my monitors, nothing flattering.

Just checked the fuse in the dead BX8 speaker and that had blown. So I pulled the fuse from the good speaker and put it in the dead speaker and the dead one powered on for about 2 seconds then died again. Pulled the fuse from that and it had blown again, so looks like the amp in the dead speaker is the problem, can't see me managing to replace that as it's too old... oh well. New speaker suggestions, then?

If you want save your money you can start to mix with your hi-fi... could be it may be instructive... ;-)

Guitar Center has the new BX8a's on sale today for $79 each. If you like the monitor, you can't beat the price.

Wow, here in Italy are around 350\370 euros!!! :-O

Bought a pair of Yamaha HS7s today, cheers anyway, £312 for a pair, on offer atm. They're really really nice, I hear they break in really nicely too. Really tight sound, more clarity than my old BX8s, mids are more punchy and I prefer the bass response to my BX8s too, much more even when I move around my room, I think the BX8s were too big for just untreated bedroom production, these work so much better. I think I'm gonna find these easier to mix on with my ageing ears, less forgiving for bad mixes but easier to pinpoint mix issues with these. Overall: chuffed.

Probably too late but DV247 are doing Dynaudio BM5a mk2 for £459/pair (more or less half price) as they are previous models.

I bought them a month ago and they are outstanding for the money. Definitely a step up from the Yamaha HS series (I used to have HS80's).

tehlord wrote:Probably too late but DV247 are doing Dynaudio BM5a mk2 for £459/pair (more or less half price) as they are previous models.

I bought them a month ago and they are outstanding for the money. Definitely a step up from the Yamaha HS series (I used to have HS80's).
Thanks tehlord, yeah they were considered as I'd read many a good thing about them but £300 for my HS7s was a real sweet spot and paying too much more would be wasted on my tired ears. Also, I couldn't face too long without working speakers so couldn't stop myself driving into town and testing all they had in the Dawsons and buying some today, it was too tempting. I'm very happy though, there's always better to be had for more money, but considering these cost the same as what I paid 10 years ago for my BX8s I couldn't ask for more.

PS @tehlord, it was your comments on the board which made me rethink the krks, and I read a lot more ppl saying the same as you elsewhere (and the guy in the shop today agreed), so thanks for that. I wanted a really flat response so I'm happy with the yamahas.

Return to “Production Techniques”