Recording live voice/instruments, or mixing beats?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion

What do you use your DAW for?

Recording full voice tracks
18%
Recording full instrument tracks ( e.g. guitar, bass, etc. )
27%
Sample based production
21%
Beat creation
18%
Other
16%

Total votes: 67

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mivo wrote:Might have worked better as one-option poll with the question what people MOSTLY use their DAW for, because there is so much overlap. :)
Nah, this is perfect. I'm new to the community and would like to see what the distribution is like. Overlap is good, it'll all come out in the average :D

cpu

robojam wrote:But not everyone puts together songs - a lot of people here seem to write music without vocals.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Great seventies mood Hink! instead I hope You put the vocals on this (almost) perfect song! ;-)
Last edited by Turello on Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hink wrote:Image
:hihi:

But it is a pet peeve that 'song' is used for pieces of music with no vocal, as they don't fit the definition of a song. There's a reason why we have dictionaries...

robojam wrote:
Hink wrote:Image
:hihi:

But it is a pet peeve that 'song' is used for pieces of music with no vocal, as they don't fit the definition of a song. There's a reason why we have dictionaries...
so is that why you refuse to listen to my latest tune...because I call it a song :x

good luck with the next one (baritone :hyper: ), I was driving with my daughter and I meant to say "I'm gonna have a new song done soon" but I accidentally pulled a spoonerism and named it at the same time, I said "I'm gonna have a new song sone doon". So that's the name of it Sun Dune, I mean if it's bad luck to rename a ship...renaming a song? :scared: :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Tune schpoon... :hihi:

"that's why we have dictionaries"

just sayin'

i use fl for different things allmost all in your poll list apart from recording vocals

i use fl for different things allmost all in your poll list apart from recording vocals

jancivil wrote:"that's why we have dictionaries"

just sayin'
but the last one brings up a question because could an instrument be suggestive of a voice thus making it suggestive of a song?

However I'm from New England, we got our own dictionaries and our own ways of saying things. Mr Man in the packy was telling me today bout some wicked good beeyah. We've been butchering the english language since 1620 :hihi:

definitely yes, I agree with 'suggestive of singing' to make 'song' a useful term. I am always after a 'singing tone' or vocal quality in lead guitar, or in woodwind solos, or what-have-you. Besides, 'your song' has become generic for 'your track', and definitions are elastic over time like this.

"Songs Without Words (Lieder ohne Worte) is a series of short lyrical piano pieces by the Romantic composer Felix Mendelssohn, written between 1829 and ..."

jancivil wrote:definitely yes, I agree with 'suggestive of singing' to make 'song' a useful term. I am always after a 'singing tone' or vocal quality in lead guitar, or in woodwind solos, or what-have-you. Besides, 'your song' has become generic for 'your track', and definitions are elastic over time like this.
I was thinking blurred together but I like elastic better, so many things over the course of my life have gone this way. Growing up much of my life in the woods of Maine I learned to shoot at a very young age and while I never had the desire for a handgun until I was in the service I was still anal about getting the terms correct and it use to start arguments when people called a revolver a pistol...now I just accept it as the way it is and once again I have no desire for a handgun (I had a BB pistol I for critter control, not critter slaughter in the army but my exwife accidentally show herself up the nose with it)

Does singing through my saxophone count? :hihi:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

jancivil wrote:definitely yes, I agree with 'suggestive of singing' to make 'song' a useful term. I am always after a 'singing tone' or vocal quality in lead guitar, or in woodwind solos, or what-have-you. Besides, 'your song' has become generic for 'your track', and definitions are elastic over time like this.
I don't disagree that the meaning is changing, but the stricter meaning is a useful one. For example, when someone asks for help with a "song", it implies two tasks - composing the music and writing the lyrics.

If I have replied with the assumption that there is a lyric writing element to the song and find out that it is an instrumental piece of music, there has been an unnecessary confusion. It then becomes necessary to provide an additional level of clarity before everyone understands the nature of the composition.

There are exceptions for sure, but personally it just irritates me as I have always known what people mean by "song" until perhaps the last decade or so when the definition seems to have broadened for no good reason (there's certainly no practical advantage to doing this).

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”