Presswerk Public Beta

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Urs wrote:Yo,

We've been sweating blood and tears. A new public beta is imminent, and we think that it's much better despite the lack of "vintage views".

I'm switching this topic to "normal" and a new sticky will be up in a few minutes :)

Cheers,

- Urs
Hurray !

Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7., D.P. 11.3 & Kontakt 7.7.2 _ Gibson ES 295 & Explorer _ FilterBank2 Sherman & PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Altiverb 8_ Explorer Loïc Le Pape
https://loiclepapesteelguitars.com/

I have to say 3ee's presets are awesome. They should really be included with the installation.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

thanks man, tried my best! :)

They are really good, thank you 3ee

Indeed, nice work 3ee!

Thanks people! :hug:
btw, don't forget that lowering the threshold isn't the same thing as bringing up the Input level... it reacts differently to the compression curve, sometimes (especially when using non-lin) it can have a drastic effect on the compression character so experiment with that.

Clever gain-staging can make Presswerk into a comp-expander (not referring to the expand feature) at once which sounds fantastic! (kinda resembles the Waves C1 curve but with greater flexibility)

Found so many cool ways to use Presswerk while testing it out extensively, I encourage you to understand precisely what every parameter is doing and then try abusing Presswerk a bit, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with both realizing the things you can do with it + imagining the under the hood "mojo" tricks your other favorite compressors had! :D

For example, the 1176 patches (especially the smash one) won't sound "as is" if you use the threshold instead of driving the compressor for a hotter input.

Another thing for those who usually test how "bad" a compressor sounds with attack and release set at minimum. (btw, it's natural and it's called inter-modulation distortion :P where the level fluctuations are so fast that they'll AM the signal)

To calibrate such a test and minimize IMD try:

set attack to about 2ms and release to about 50ms (rel adapt to max 25%), get a fairly good amount of comp/GR... about 7-12 db ---it depends though, the idea is to get a hard compression which doesn't necessarily sound "good" time-wise

Now bring the RMS value up until compressor SOUNDS good and there you have it! ..relatively faster/tigher comp with better sounding envelopes! :)
...one more thing, if there are pesky attack/transients... also try a bit of negative sidechain delay and/or dynamic saturation which is great for getting a really smooth sound on those occasionally clicky or brittle-ish transients. :hyper:

So, many ways to use Presswerk, keep at it and you'll find your own which you'll truly love! :tu:

"set attack to about 2ms and release to about 50ms"

The fastest attack I am seeing on Presswerk is 10ms. That's why I just came to post in this thread, actually :)

Any plans to provide attack times between 0 and 10ms in a future version? And shorter release times?

Also, does the plugin always add latency?
Play it by ear

please look closer. shortest attack time is 0.1ms.
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board
software dev in the studio-speaker biz | former plugin creator [u-he, samplitude & digitalfishphones]

Indeed, my bad :) Presswerk always has a little latency, correct? About 17 samples/0.39ms at minimum?
Play it by ear

Yes, that's unavoidable, but should still be ok for RT affairs.
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board
software dev in the studio-speaker biz | former plugin creator [u-he, samplitude & digitalfishphones]

I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere (I read the first 10 pages or so but didn't saw a few references to this but nothing conclusive), but are there any plans to support VST3 for this plugin? Presswerk looks awesome, and I have no problem with VST2 for synths, but for cubase users (myself included) it's likely a deal breaker for compressor effects. I just received my u-he customer survey voucher coupon and would love to pick this up on the cheap if I knew VST3 was going to be supported some point soon after release.

U-He had some issues with VST3 and withdrew support for it temporarily.
"I got a car battery and two jumper cables that argue different."
Rust Cohle

...just don't politely ask what the sidechaining workaround is in Cubase... :borg:
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

Return to “u-he”