T5 and movie files

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Whenever I set a movie file (it does not matter what format - mp4, mov, etc.) T5 prompts to copy it to the movie folder (which it does) and then seems to do nothing else.

The movie window reads "No movie open" and I cannot seem to figure out how to use any movie file with my project.

What am I missing?

Any assistance is much appreciated.

you lucky one ;-) in my system T5 crashes when loading in and trying to play back ANY video file. this puts me off T5 a little bit, as I want to do filmscoring, too.

Video support is one of the weakest points in the Tracktion setup. But they promised they will make it better. We will see. At this point of development, T5 is useless for filmscoring.

Try using Reaper in the meantime for this.

mfkne wrote:But they promised they will make it better.
Who promised what exactly?

Woody in April: "Video work is on the development list also". Ok, a bit vague, but existent ;-)

Thanks. So basically, the functionality is broken and maybe one day they will fix it.

I would rather not purchase another DAW (re: Reaper) just to do this one sort of project (even though I have a lot of them queued up to do).

It will take a bit of time to learn it, but I installed Lightworks and am going to try doing some back and forth between it and Tracktion for now. I have actual editing of the videos to do anyway (not just audio), so this is a good opportunity to rearrange my process flow.

Interestingly, for the avi files Tracktion appears to attempt to load it but eventually spits out the same no video loaded video window. For mp4s it does not even try.

Have just tried mp4, mov, m4v and avi. All working well (Mac OSX 10.9.5) so it's not necessarily a Tracktion problem.

I read a thread about someone having problems with mp4 video files at the weekend, so thought I'd give it a go.

Each time I can load an mp4 video ok, but as soon as I start the transport - poof crash. Doesn't matter if I copy to the project folder or not.

So I tried with .avi and the same thing happened.

Luckily I'm not planning on doing any film scoring in the near future.

T5.4.2 x32, Win8.1x64, 8GB Ram, fluffy dice, "Daz 4 Sharon 4eva" sticker (not mine).
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

Hey guys - the main culprit for video playback issues are codec related - video is a much more complex file system than audio - and there are a bunch of different codecs

Macs are simple - Tracktion uses QT for video playback and Apple support all the major codecs in the app

Windows is more complicated - due to QT being EOL'd in Windows, we now use Microsoft Direct Show as the playback engine - annoyingly MS does not include all the possible codecs in the app (nor do they in WMP either!) - so adding a codec pack is sometimes required - these are readily available online but tend to be hosted by adware sites so we recommend being cautious - here is the best site we found: http://shark007.net/

You would be forgiven for thinking "hey I just want to play an MP4..." or something equally obvious - the problem with video is that the underlying file might be completely different - MP4 can be just a wrapper
Tracktion Software Corporation

Sure, but if your system plays mp4 in, say, vlc player, surely you have the necessary codecs?
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2

mcnelson wrote:Sure, but if your system plays mp4 in, say, vlc player, surely you have the necessary codecs?
Hi mcnelsonm unfortunately this is not the case, VLC and other media players have lots of built in codecs to decode almost any video format, they rarely rely on the OS to supply these. Even built in media players such as Windows Media Player has access to codecs that are not supplied to the DirectShow framework Tracktion uses to decode video. This is why a 3rd party codec pack is needed.

We do have plans to improve this in the future although we can't give any definite time frames at the moment.

Depending on how much video scoring you do, it might be an option to convert videos to a format that is compatible with Tracktion, this way you can do your score and then export it to what ever video editor you are using. We know this is not ideal however and as mentioned, we are working on improving this workflow.

No worries, thanks for clarifying :)
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2

http://www.lofibucket.com/articles/videoplayer.html

or directly

http://forums.jeskola.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7

This videoplayer-vsti plugin works better than the built-in one (and shows that it is possible to build a real working video player).

Perhaps they should implement this one. Better would be to put the audio in the timeline and render a whole new video...

TSC wrote:Hey guys - the main culprit for video playback issues are codec related - video is a much more complex file system than audio - and there are a bunch of different codecs

Macs are simple - Tracktion uses QT for video playback and Apple support all the major codecs in the app

Windows is more complicated - due to QT being EOL'd in Windows, we now use Microsoft Direct Show as the playback engine - annoyingly MS does not include all the possible codecs in the app (nor do they in WMP either!) - so adding a codec pack is sometimes required - these are readily available online but tend to be hosted by adware sites so we recommend being cautious - here is the best site we found: http://shark007.net/
DO NOT INSTALL the codec pack from shark007!!!!!!!!!!!!

I tried to back out during installation and it still installed all kinds of malware. I have been trying to remove it all for weeks with several tools and still every couple of days evidence arises that it is stall affecting my system.

Supposedly there is a way to separate the codec install from the package install, but my advice is figure it out on a computer you are planning to throw away.

:dog:

You may want to take a look at MTCVideoSlave:

http://www.mtcvideoslave.at/

It's a video player that runs in a separate process and syncs to MIDI time code. I haven't used it extensively, but I did get it to sync to a Tracktion project via a virtual MIDI port when I tried it last year.

But yeah, I agree that it's pretty silly that Tracktion claims to support video files, but none of its users can get the feature to work. They should either make the feature work properly or pull it out.

Return to “Tracktion”