Can I just use reason reFills without Reason?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I need instruments. I was looking at just spending the $500 on Komplete 10 to get all the samples, but an engineer friend I trust said he's always disappointed in NI stuff, he much prefers the Reason instruments.

But, it seems I would have to buy the actual Reason program just to be able to use the sounds (through rewire) right? I can't just but the ReFills themselves at $50 each and rewire to those?

Also, I'm not interested in using reason itself; I barely find time to get good at Tracktion. Would it make more sense to get Reason Essentials and then just the few ReFills I like? Just looking for some guidance. I have a brand new 256 SSD just waiting for me to use for nice piano and string samples.

(related: I'm not even sure if the NI or Reason stuff is just samples, to which I would need to map a sampler's midi notes, or if there is a VST for each instrument that already has the mapping done)

If I were you I would go to both web sites and read up on them. Plenty of information there.

anybody using reason with T5 that can respond, or anyone really happy with the NI instruments, thanks.

Short answer - no, but as I said, you should probably go to the Propellerheads site and do some reading.

You could grab SampleTank 3 Free for a decent grand piano sound in a VST (and a few other instrument freebies).
The interface is a lot nicer than the hideous old SampleTank 2 interface was

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/sampletank3free/
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

Looks like Sample tank 3 free has a string library now too as well as the grand piano ...I might have to check it out myself ..

Just remember that Sampletank 3 is 64bit only

Cheers
Jed

Yup, it's only 64 bit. I've got the full version, and more and more I play with it, the more I like it. Great general purpose soundbank type thing, with nice selection of bundled effects. I don't have Kontakt, to compare it with, which I hear is more fully featured, and the installation process is quite painful, because you're installing 33gig of sounds (although if you install the library to an external HDD, you can move between machines much more easily)

Freebie is nice, for free, for sure
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

Yes, it's 64 bit only, but I think it's going to be harder to hold out and not go 64 bit, so there will be more and more developers going the 64 bit only route.

SampleTank and Kontakt are two different beasts really. They have some overlap, but they each have their own sound.

AIR Xpand2 is good too

cheers
jed

Return to “Tracktion”