Bug reports

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fyler RapidComposer

PS After two reboots I saw a new folder in the browser of phrases that I created in the Finder!

Hi lulukom,

Don't you see this when you select multiple phrases? This works in both Windows and OS X versions:
You are right, there will be a search option to search "name only" or "name+tags". Not everyone likes entering mathematical expressions...
And now I've created in Finder / Documents / RapidComposerv2 / CustomPHrases new folder called X !!! I have a chance to ever see this folder in the browser phrases?
If the folder is empty, you won't see it in the browser. Renaming phrases (even multiple phrases) will be added shortly. Until then you can rename them in the Finder.
Moving phrases from one folder to another also happens in the Finder.
A refresh button will be added to the phrase browser soon.
How are priorities the impact of scales and chords in the master track to track chords and bass track in the composition ?
What greater impact on the bass track, master chords or master scales ?_
What a great impact on the chord-track , master chords or master scales ?_
It depends on the 'quality' of notes that you use in your tracks. If you use 'scale notes' (or notes relative to scale notes) those will depend only on the master track scale, and won't have any relationship with the master track chord.
Similarly if you use 'chord notes' (or notes relative to chord notes), those notes will depend on the master track chord, and somewhat on the master track scale, when an offset has to be applied. E.g. when a note is one scale step below the 'lowest chord note', the chord and scale has to be used to calculate that note.
This is why several mapping modes are offered, and you can freely convert between these modes:
- Scale Notes [+semitones] : all notes will be relative to a scale note. Chord changes have no effect on this phrase as it depends on the scale only
- Chord Notes [+semitones]: all notes will be relative to a chord note. A semitone offset is applied when necessary. This phrase will depend only on the master track chord.
- Chord Notes [+scale steps]: all notes will be relative to a chord note. A scale step offset is applied when necessary. This phrase will depend on the master track chord and scale.
There is a 4th one too, which may be removed in the future.
Please note that at the moment converting a phrase between these mappings requires to getting back to absolute notes first.
So your chord track will depend on the master track chords only, the bass track if it contains scale notes only will depend only on the master track scale.

I hope I could help.

Best regards,
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

Hi Attila!
Many thanks for the detailed answer!
You helped me a lot and understood everything correctly.
Are you always a pleasure to deal with!
Do I understand that if I want to leave a phrase without the influence master-chords and master- scales, I have to convert it in absolute form? And before that I did not understand, and so I wanted to make the locks on the phrases that did not allow them to vary between the master track!

Sincerely lulukom

Hi lulukom,

yes, that is correct. If you convert a phrase to absolute notes, that won't be affected by the master track. A C4 note will remain C4 regardless what is on the master track.

Thanks,
Attila

Hello;

I am using Mixcraft 7 64 bit and when I attempt to implement RC DEMO VERSION as a 64 bit VST I get a " We are sorry but Rapid Composer has crashed box" (Mixcraft crashes as well). If I delete the 64 bit RC VST and use the 32 bit version, it works fine. I have no idea if this is a Mixcraft or RC issue- Mixcraft 7 with 64 bit support is quite new, and I have a couple other 64 bit VSTs that don't work with it, but they just pop a warning box and don't crash the host (Mixcraft).

Thanks for providing a very useable RC demo. I have been playing with the stand alone version quite a bit.
Too many DAWs and plug-ins

Hello BluesMuse,

thank you for reporting this. I downloaded the Mixcraft 7 x64 demo (Version 7.0 64-Bit Build 248), and I found that both the current version v2.73(x64) and the latest beta version v2.8b12(x64) VST plug-in worked well in Mixcraft. Either the full version works differently from the demo version, or Acoustica already fixed something.
If you'd like to try the latest demo version (hopefully that won't crash Mixcraft) I will gladly upload it for you. Please PM me.

Thanks for the feedback!
Attila

Hi again, Attila,
only yesterday I finally managed to notice that you've made similar changes to Instruments browser (a la Phrase browser).
Now it definitely looks more "user-friendly" than before, but still it's rather difficult to find & sort all those SF's et al. quickly without additional searching procedures. Anyway, while trying to check some of my numerous SFs, I suddenly discovered rather strange problem/bug (?): within big SFs, i.e. fonts with multiple presets (I mean standard GM-like ones) your program stubbornly shows only a portion of existing presets/instruments (something similar to its initial behaviour while rebuilding/rejecting huge collection of phrases?). For example, in usual GM-fonts with 127+ presets it shows the names of just about a half of them.
Please, check it and try to find why it happens :)
Big thanks as usual,
T.

Argh! Very good catch, Tolstoevsky! :tu:
Some presets were not added because there already existed another preset with the same name - but in another SF2.
This stupid bug was fixed.

It worries me when you wrote this:
but still it's rather difficult to find & sort all those SF's et al. quickly without additional searching procedures
Can you tell me an example when it is difficult to find a preset? Maybe there is something I did not think of.

Thanks!
Attila

Well, I am very glad that you quickly found & fixed that as usual, Attila :clap:
I even hazard a remark that you are the most rapid&responsive creator/designer in the world :D
(And obviously the name of your program speaks for itself :hihi: )
Concerning my grumbling remarks on finding & sorting all those SFs which I collected like an old hoarder (I think you already know that pathological disease of mine :lol: ), may be it would be better just to manually delete (exclude) most of them from that long list and use a small&compact set of really good ones instead 8)
Though, may be you could try to make some kind of sub-foldering of similar SFs (just by their names, not by names of their internal presets) by analogy with Phrase browser? I really don't know exactly how to sort them that way, but...OK, never mind, I am speaking aloud with myself too often!

all those SFs which I collected like an old hoarder (I think you already know that pathological disease of mine :lol: ),
Then we suffer the same disease :wink: I have many gigabytes of soundfonts, of which 95% is useless. I know I will never have the time to sort them and delete the bad ones. Still I found that using soundfonts (the good quality ones) are very suitable for composing.

Today I tried to add almost 2000 soundfonts in one step with the "Scan Directories" option. Well, don't do that :?
There is a kind of memory allocation issue and memory becomes full. This bug will be addressed shortly.
Also when adding multiple soundfonts, the 'group' attribute will be set to the path from the base directory.

My point is, please add only those soundfonts to RC that you intend to use.

Thanks,
Attila

musicdevelopments wrote:Today I tried to add almost 2000 soundfonts
:lol: That's not what I meant, sure, dear Attila :hihi: In fact, using RC, I prefer to add new phrases instead of SFs (you had a nice chance to see it for yourself recently 8) ) But still I prescribed something like 100-150 of them in that long list...BTW, I see just one useful idea/semi-solution for my problem: is it possible to simply separate somehow all SFs from VSTs in drop-down list (I mean the list which appears after right-clicking on instument name in "track columns" and then choosing "Instrument" button): for now it shows all of them "as one man" but at least it would be more logical to have two sub-dividers on the top level of instrument chooser instead (Soundfonts/VSTs).
musicdevelopments wrote:My point is, please add only those soundfonts to RC that you intend to use.
Smart advice, but I almost never know in advance what kind of SF would be better/more suitable for my new sketch :wink:

The instrument menu will be replaced (not in v2.8 but in v2.81) by a "pop-up" instrument browser where you will have all filtering and searching capabilities like in the instrument browser in the beta version. I know, a pop-up menu becomes annoying if you have more than 20 items in it...

Thanks,
Attila

A new update is available for the beta version with lots of bug fixes.

Changes:
  • scale and transposition added to phrase preview
  • export tracks as individual WAV/AIFF files
  • fix hanging notes during MIDI-only playback
  • fix playback issues after parts were rearranged
  • a MIDI export issue fixed
  • fixed a bug when not all presets were loaded from soundfonts
  • crash fixed when dragging the track over the composition in the VST plug-in
  • assigning a chord progression to a line/part where the beats per bar is neither 3 nor 4 works now
  • other minor bug fixes

tonedef71 wrote:
musicdevelopments wrote:Hi Tony,

I fixed the crashing bug today when you deleted existing .rcINST files. You can register soundfonts under Settings / Soundfonts.
Excellent. I look forward to downloading and trying out the new beta when I return home this evening.
Hmm... with the latest beta, I am still seeing RC crash when I scan for soundfonts in the C:\Users\myuser\AppData\Roaming\RapidComposer\Soundfonts folder. This occurs whether there are pre-existing .rcINST files or not. It also does not matter which folder I select for scanning. I wonder why this is happening:
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Hi Tony,

will you please try this with beta14 that was uploaded a few minutes ago?
I tried to scan soundfonts at various folders without issues. To be honest I don't remember if there was a bug fix since beta13 that affects loading soundfonts. I was not able to make it crash with beta13 and beta14.
Which soundfonts are in your C:\Users\myuser\AppData\Roaming\RapidComposer\Soundfonts folder? How could I reproduce this crash? Does it crash if you choose an empty folder?

BTW changes in the latest beta version which is hopefully the last beta before the final v2.8:
- chord browser reworked
- chord rules were not saved (fixed)
- "reload custom phrases" button added in phrase inspector

The beta version is available for both Windows and OS X, full and LE editions.

Thanks!
Attila

Return to “MusicDevelopments”