iZotope Iris 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Iris Presets Iris 2

Glad to hear they are making progress on somewhat better (albeit not great...) patch translation from v1, but I'm still hugely disappointed in the compromised UI for envelopes.

It makes no sense that, with v2, I can no longer see envelopes in the 'Mix' window - that's a major part of how I connect with the overall 'flow' of a patch. A big step backwards.

And navigating through samples in the 'All' view in the main window is also compromised: with v1, the Amp Envelope view follows sample selection so you can immediately see the envelope associated with it. In v2, you just get a tiny colour highlight telling you which envelope number you need to click on down below. Another step backwards.

So, while v2 does give us real improvements in Modulation, and perhaps some other features, it's also gone from an intuitively designed UI to endless pointing, clicking, and guessing. Unfathomable!

sjn wrote:...it's also gone from an intuitively designed UI to endless pointing, clicking, and guessing. Unfathomable!
I totally agree, making patches in v2 takes longer and is less accurate than in v1. Also the time it takes to update the GUI when extremely zooming in/out has drastically increased, zoom in, make coffee, edit, zoom out, drink coffee, play.

8)

Hi Everyone -

Just wanted to let you know that we’ll be releasing the free 2.01 update to Iris this afternoon. You should get an email if you’re on our email list, but we wanted to let all of you know right away.

Your help, bug reporting, and emails over the past few weeks have been immensely helpful in getting these problems ironed out, and we are grateful for your patience and feedback through this process. A special thank you to Simon, who has committed so much of his personal time to helping us root out problems.

You can download the update here:
https://www.izotope.com/en/support/supp ... tes/iris-2

You can get more information in the following Knowledgebase articles on our website.

For an overview of Iris 1 and Iris 2 compatibility, go here:

Iris 1 and Iris 2 Compatibility

For more detailed specifics on Patch Translation, including info on what parameters will need your ears for range setting and personal tweaks, go here:

Specifics on Patch Translation Between Iris 1 and Iris 2

We have extended the sale period through the end of 2014, so you should have some extra time to test out the new version and see if it’s something that meets your musical needs. If you already demo’d Iris 2.0 and your 10-day trial has run out, please contact our support team (support at izotope dot com) for a new trial period to try out version 2.01.

Please continue to send us your thoughts and feedback by emailing me directly: brad at izotope dot com. We would also really like to start collecting music that you have all made using Iris 2, so please send links along too. Nothing inspires us more than hearing our users’ music!

Thanks again for all your help and patience. We’re always listening and always learning.

All the best,
Brad

izobradford wrote:Hi Everyone -

Just wanted to let you know that we’ll be releasing the free 2.01 update to Iris this afternoon.
Brilliant, I'll be testing it tomorrow morning and start with the patch conversion/adjustment.

:tu:

Does this mean that the 'old' Iris 1 instruments made by izotope (for all the expansions and additional sample content) will be available as well (or at a later point of time)?

Sampleconstruct wrote:Brilliant, I'll be testing it tomorrow morning and start with the patch conversion/adjustment.
Let us know how it goes. I only have Iris 2 but would love to sample some of your sounds.

thejonsolo wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:Brilliant, I'll be testing it tomorrow morning and start with the patch conversion/adjustment.
Let us know how it goes. I only have Iris 2 but would love to sample some of your sounds.
I already made some tests with a previous Beta-built, it's a PITA to do this but it works using the appropriate workarounds, so that everything in Iris 2 sounds pretty much as it sounded it Iris 1.

It's great that iZotope listened and tried to make nice! Kudos for that.

But until much requested spectral improvements and time stretch features are implemented (v 2.5? v 3.0? v ➰?), I'm not going to bite.

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Downloading the new version now, hope the main issues are solved..
waves break, but somehow it all makes sense.

I ve made some tests importing my own patches (with own samples), i ve found no sounds differences

but i don't use a lot of enveloppes !

People who are wondering about the 1->2 conversion topic, please read this, wild guessing and trial and error editing will not help you, it's too complex for that.

I've done a bit of testing with some of my own (very simple) patches, and conversion from v1 to v2 is definitely much improved over their initial release

But since it's still so much more difficult to work with envelopes in v2, compared to v1, I still probably won't bite.

All the new features may be nice, but for me, a patch is sound shaped over time - and envelopes are the main way to shape the components of the sound over time (once you've selected your material within the samples).

I honestly can't believe that they bungled the new UI so badly in that regard.

sjn wrote:I've done a bit of testing with some of my own (very simple) patches, and conversion from v1 to v2 is definitely much improved over their initial release
Well, it was broken/totally f**ked up in the initial release.

I just found another translation issue, in version 1 Master volume was assignable to any controller, this has been removed in v2, I was wondering why so many of patches overloaded when e.g. the Modwheel was assigned to distortion, to compensate for the gain increase I had always reduced the master volume accordingly assigned to the same controller. So it's time to look for another workaround. *sigh*

Return to “Instruments”