Punchy kick

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone! I am new to this forum, so, first of all I'll introduce my self: I'm Alvie, a dj/producer from Italy.
Now, get to the point. From a couple of days I was searching for a punchy kick that you can listen to the attached video (the one in the drop, starting at 1:00), without any satisfying results. Someone could please help me to find what I am searching for! thank you!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKwsLTQu8o8

The 'Attack' used in this kick has been around for a while, I think it originally came from a Vengeance Sample CD. It's since been (over)used by everyone to the point where it's pretty much the standard kick sound (replacing the classic 909 vibe).

You can dig through the latter Vengeance CD's or use this plugin --> http://www.sonicacademy.com/KICK
Sound Engineer / Musician / Producer......but I'm always learning.

Thank you very much! Any clue on which sample exactly is? I think that searching through thousands of vengeance kick is a pretty long work! Thank you man!

These kind of topics are kind of pointless... It's always the same question: "What kick drum is this and where can I find it?" It's like people nowadays are to lazy to craft their own kicks (or to learn how to do that).

And it's always the same kind of answer as well: "It's probably from a Vengeance sample pack (which, sadly enough, is true in most cases)" or "It's VES2 Bassdrum 088, because a lot of people use it bla bla blabla" I mean seriously, there are lots of different sample packs with good quality drum samples, but everyone's first choise is always Vengeance... The only reason people use Vengeance drum samples is because they "think" they sound good. But actually, the quality of those drum samples is pretty much shit. A lot of them are sampled from other tracks (especially the kick drums), in a very shitty way. And so they end up with some crappy drum samples. To make them sound "good", they process them with lots of compression. The result: over-compressed drum samples. But a people end up buying them, because they sound loud and "in your face", but the actual quality of those samples are crap.

Instead, if you want a kick drum like this, you are better of by sampling it yourself than using a similar sounding Vengeance kick. But you are probably to lazy to do that... So, because I'm in a good mood (sort of) and I kinda like that kick as well, I sampled it myself and decided to share it with you.
http://www75.zippyshare.com/v/50131053/file.html

Use it wisely. If you just grab it and start using it in every single track you make, you are pretty much an idiot, and you won't learn anything by doing that. Try to analyze it and use it as a reference when you're making your own kick drums. That way you will improve your skills in sound-designing.

Good luck (and don't be that idiot)
Turn off your Brain & Turn on your Heart

I expect that a person that talk like that is a kind of superstar ranking in the top half of top 100 deejays...
Could you please tell me with who I have the pleasure of speaking to? Hardwell? Garrix? Guetta?

Alvie.muzik wrote:I expect that a person that talk like that is a kind of superstar ranking in the top half of top 100 deejays...
Could you please tell me with who I have the pleasure of speaking to? Hardwell? Garrix? Guetta?
I'm just saying that this topic is kinda pointless and that you're lazy. I mean, if you really ask for a question that has been answered multiple times (even here on this forum) and you still ask such a question, you're kinda too lazy to find out the answer yourself. Ever heard of doing research?

And you even ask for that specific kick drum! If that doesn't prove you're lazy... I don't know anymore. And I even gave you the kick you wanted, and you're still insulting me for being a "high class bastard" or something. You should be f**king happy instead, lol. If you don't like being called "lazy" than don't ask stupid questions.

Have a nice day sir!

Why so aggressive? There are dozens of threads asking "Which drum machine was used in this 80ies disco track?". Are these people lazy too? Wonder what's wrong with being specifically after one sound. Probably the moment people hear the term "EDM" they think "noob, idiot, lazy retard".

Btw, i would say the percentage of famous prodcuers in EDM really doing their kicks themselves is lower than 1% (at least that's what i gathered from several production videos). Wonder why you expect the guy to do his kicks himself then. It's a time taking, difficult process, and the end result might be worse than if you just sampled, or use sampled kick drums.

I never said that sampling is a bad option. I'm just saying that putting some effort into your music can make you help to learn things faster. But the fact that he could also have easily sampled that kick himself, makes me think he is lazy. Nothing aggressive, just an opinion. And there is nothing wrong about someone's opinion, as it is to you to decide if it's wrong or right. You can say what you want about me, but I'm just that kind of person that likes to say what he thinks (if you haven't noticed that already). If you don't like my opinion or feel offended by it, just ignore it, like everyone else does.

Sound Engineer / Musician / Producer......but I'm always learning.

Return to “Sound Design”