A rise of "Page 22" (post by Jan) rubbish in the Cafe?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote:can we get back on topic please, by which i mean lets discuss throbbing gristle, we can start with hamburger lady then his arm was her leg and follow that with very friendly. these incidentally are the first three tracks on my xmas mix.

Im currently going thru their catalogue trying to find a song i heard on R6 a few weeks back. Then i want to buy the vinyl.

Cant remember the title tho... very synthy, berlin type sound....

Never really got into them originally... had a mate who was obsessed with GPO tho....

Kriminal wrote:
vurt wrote:can we get back on topic please, by which i mean lets discuss throbbing gristle, we can start with hamburger lady then his arm was her leg and follow that with very friendly. these incidentally are the first three tracks on my xmas mix.

Im currently going thru their catalogue trying to find a song i heard on R6 a few weeks back. Then i want to buy the vinyl.

Never really got into them originally... had a mate who was obsessed with GPO tho....
Maybe hot on the heels of love?

Just to add:
Why not cut the Music Cafe' in two pieces?

one for the section:
How can it get better? With all the talk about how to improve equalisation and parts and mastering and so on?

second for:
This track is "done" and I just want to have listeners and impressions? ( so not based on tech-talk)
Symphony Nr.1
Meet the Cities Repair Team Unimportant laughter
music has become meaningless...we just keep doing it

elassi wrote:We definately need a poll.

Limited to members who have a post count between 500 and 1500. Thus we fight noobism as well as elitism. :ud:
:lol: :lol:

Can we talk about 'good' music then?
You mean like "Friday" by Rebacca Black or "Hamburger Lady" by Throbbing Gristle? What about these songs should we discuss?
Hink wrote: were you born a better artist than Rebecca Black?
I only know of the one thing, 'Friday' or whatever the f**k, and to my view that isn't art; so this particular actual question? :shrug:.
I was born to a very different set of circumstances than the daughter of a Hollywood big name. I would not have been availed of, for instance drums, by my very frugal father before I showed something. He did rent me a trumpet when I entered the fifth grade where there was band class, but I had shown a lot of interest in music by then and he believed I could make something of it. He wasn't any great optimist nor dreamer, either.
Rebecca Black would not have a record out without having been born to a certain advantage I don't think. I tend to doubt that, even with the reliability factor of exactly pandering to a vast supply of idiots as that thing is, she would have gotten traction shopping that around like we plebes would do.
I don't know if there's any interest in music there, but it isn't much in evidence from the product.

So by her age, you know, I was actually known around town as a happening guitarist despite who I was in life. Because I had the desire, which impelled me to work at it. So it's about how you're born except when it isn't.

It's another Rebecca Black thread!!!!

:wheee: :wheee:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

But back on track, maybe? Nolan said he thought there was a lot of stuff that no one whatsoever is going to reply to in the Cafe.
I don't think KVR is any one thing; sure it's a plugins forum and you can believe that people are interested in that for every post, but the word 'cafe' seems to me to connote a break. I'm not interested in another person's process. I may ask about something that's really striking, 'what did you use' specifically but that isn't what gets me to click on a link to the track at_all.

My curiosity as to the Cafe is at an all-time low. ghetto mentioned a teenager that has five posts that seem to be pure promotion, from someone nobody here has any discourse with and probably never will. This is a sign of [the Cafe's] poor health, that there is at least a shared perception that there is a lot of this nowadays.

I expect a certain number of people will reply to a post of mine in the Cafe. It isn't going to be very high typically; I can gauge pretty much how accessible what I did is, and I'm only surprised in the positive here. The more comments, the more interest and the longer the legs the thread will have. That's normal human nature.
But, we look at the subject/title and the name. I will get people clicking because I engage people, for better or worse.

So, the noise to signal ratio of very many posts that are going nowhere is discouraging. I doubt anything's to be done about it, but if HPC has a minimum posts count barrier to entry, why not. I like 50 as that number.

My review of the Music Cafe

The Music Cafe is an overrated hipster bistro that tries to be quaint, nestled in between the Marketplace and DIY forums. I came in for a couple bars of pizzicato and a nice cup of coda and they charged me TEN WHOLE NOTES!! THAT'S TOO MANY NOTES!!!!!!11111oneoneoneeleventyone111!!!!

This Yelp reviewer is never going back. :(

when I first tried to post something on the Music Cafe there was always this girl shushing me from the side, like telling me to shut up... I was a bit scared of her and gave up until she stopped showing up... :scared:
I found her very intimidating... :scared: Anyone remembers her? :P
www.youtube.com/Synthillator
er... keep on rocking (despite all obstacles :shrug: ) :band2:

hibidy wrote: Actually, any argument can be called [strawman]. "If I disagree with you, you are strawman" (and the irony continues)

I see many valid arguments and clearly a difference of opinion.
Actually, no. When I said it it meant something precise: thejonsolo stated that it is self-serving to make music that only you can appreciate. It fabricates a position that is not in evidence in the discourse, in this case in order to make 'making music to suit other people's opinions' seem ethically superior, amplified by the pejorative 'self-serving'. That is a strawman type of argument; it's intellectually dishonest and that is why I object to it. I did not say 'you are strawman', which doesn't even make any sense. Look a term up if you're unsure.

Irony? You're here mistating what I did while implying I was making more of 'I disagree' than was warranted. There's irony :shrug:.
It is not out of context, either. He reiterated his position on it, even. "It's generous [unlike some others, lacking proper Xmas spirit. :lol:]." The context is making music qua music versus making music for other reasons. I don't think people pleasing is as true an aim, personally.

lectrixboogaloo wrote:
Kriminal wrote:

Maybe hot on the heels of love?
bingo! Been listening to the album today, good stuff. Ordered the vinyl.

This thought just occurred to me a few minutes ago.

It takes a lot of work to make something listenable for the average person, let alone "good".

With the way that technology and distribution of music has been in the last 100 years, we are much more over saturated with a wide variety of music.

So you could listen to 'decent' music but after a point that leaves you wanting more as your brain no longer gets off to it's structural components. So you seek out something else new or novel. Perhaps this is a different way of approaching the structure, or simply music with more complexity.

At some point that too will loose it's edge if you listen to too much of it.

This would explain how one person can go crazy over something that someone else really doesn't like due to it's simplicity, or how later in life you can dislike a song that you used to really like. You simply grew out of it due to being exposed to better music.

So if someone likes some god aweful music that is really simple and watered down, maybe it isn't exactly their fault? They are just following their brain's wiring and have found something new, cool and novel to them. The mainstream will only ever see glimpses into the more underground, closed off communities. So it seems it's more a matter of exposure and mental accessibility. If someone isn't yet tired of one sound something a lot more complex might be above the level that their mind can process all at once; they haven't developed the taste for it yet. This isn't because they are stupid, but if you are used to certain foundations of the song then the much more complex components make sense, someone with no knowledge or experience with any of it is just going to hear a 'wall of noise' at first.

I say this with no negative connotation. Everyone will have different tastes. Simple sometimes can be better I'd argue. You don't need a hammer to kill a spider and you don't need a fancy meal to satisfy your hunger. Similarly simple music is going to have it's place. It can be just as hard to make something simple sounding as something complex if not just because with less elements the more that something is wrong, the more noticeable and irritating it will be. With something complex the chances that something might sound slightly off is higher, but it also probably hides among the other elements enough to not ruin it.

Just some 'food for thought' about taste. :)
jancivil wrote:
Can we talk about 'good' music then?
You mean like "Friday" by Rebacca Black or "Hamburger Lady" by Throbbing Gristle? What about these songs should we discuss?
Hink wrote: were you born a better artist than Rebecca Black?
I only know of the one thing, 'Friday' or whatever the f**k, and to my view that isn't art; so this particular actual question? :shrug:.
I was born to a very different set of circumstances than the daughter of a Hollywood big name. I would not have been availed of, for instance drums, by my very frugal father before I showed something. He did rent me a trumpet when I entered the fifth grade where there was band class, but I had shown a lot of interest in music by then and he believed I could make something of it. He wasn't any great optimist nor dreamer, either.
Rebecca Black would not have a record out without having been born to a certain advantage I don't think. I tend to doubt that, even with the reliability factor of exactly pandering to a vast supply of idiots as that thing is, she would have gotten traction shopping that around like we plebes would do.
I don't know if there's any interest in music there, but it isn't much in evidence from the product.

So by her age, you know, I was actually known around town as a happening guitarist despite who I was in life. Because I had the desire, which impelled me to work at it. So it's about how you're born except when it isn't.
Amazing what a terrible singing voice and parent's and 3k thrown at a production company can do. Though the main component in her rise to power is the viralness of her song... and the ads that go along with it on youtube. Yes, everytime you talk about her, you make her money through ads on sites where people go to see just how terrible it is for themselves.

Capitalism at it's finest.

Katelyn wrote: It takes a lot of work to make something listenable for the average person, let alone "good".
Sorry, but I just had to post this when I read that :hihi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2Rhh_4GZmU

hibidy wrote:
Katelyn wrote: It takes a lot of work to make something listenable for the average person, let alone "good".
Sorry, but I just had to post this when I read that :hihi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2Rhh_4GZmU
In my head I was imagining someone with little musical training trying to write a decent melody, but that poor bastard's effort to fix her voice fit just as well xD

I wonder if it was worse for the guy on piano being inside of there or the sound engineer....

good question.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”