Compiler-Latest (W7-8)?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Xenakios wrote:
camsr wrote:
Xenakios wrote: Yeah, I don't get what camsr's point in mentioning the size even was...? But I make a bet : he will next suggest using some ancient junk version of Visual Studio, like VC6, to get smaller binaries. Or even worse, shit like the Borland Turbo "C++" compiler... :hihi:
No way, those can't even compile x64 :)
Oh come on, x64 code is like 2 times size of x86 to begin with, how can you live with that?! :hihi:
That's actually not even close to being true, though.

abstractcats wrote:I wrote it in the last version of Bloodshed.
What compiler does that come with...? If I recall right, it might be mingw, but is it a recent enough one...? (Like based on gcc 4.8 or so...)

Seriously, just use a recent version of Visual Studio on Windows. That will be the path of least hassle. I bet nobody will be able to tell you for example how to set up a project in Bloodshed to build a VST plugin. Or how to use Juce or IPlug with it. (What is with the name anyway, who would ever name their IDE "Bloodshed"? :x )

I know, Visual Studio is a very big thing to download and install, but that usually is just a one time annoyance to do until the next computer/operating system update...

mystran wrote: That's actually not even close to being true, though.
Obviously I was just joking. :)

Xenakios wrote:until the next computer/operating system update...
Which you start budgeting for right after installing MSVC...

But yeah, I have to agree that using Visual Studio solves (slightly) more problems than it creates.

mystran wrote:

But yeah, I have to agree that using Visual Studio solves (slightly) more problems than it creates.
In a pinch, if the Visual Studio IDE really is too heavy to run, one can write the code in Notepad or similar and build from the command line using the MSVC toolchain...

You definitely want to go with the latest express versions if you just want a quick modern compiler. The "express 2013 for desktop" contains a compiler that produces results far beyond what other compilers are capable of.

Unless you're using the very latest versions of g++ with the very latest support for language features (which means non-windows only?) I can't see older versions of mingw beating msvc since the 2008 version.

It only becomes an issue if you want to really get fussy about language features or backward compatibility, in which case who knows what weird preferences you might come up with. For general use though I can't see any reason to recommend anything but express-2013-desktop on modern versions of windows.

(Unless you're me, where the icons + fonts + other drive you completely insane. In which case you'll have a heck of a time hacking it to get 2010 icons and fonts back the way they were, although it is possible even with the express version it is far more difficult than using ready-made tools for the full version. The most irritating thing on earth for me is that the WPF based IDE forces cleartype on you, and ignores the system cleartype settings! So you can't actually configure it without a special plugin or hacking the binary yourself.)
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Xenakios wrote:
mystran wrote:

In a pinch, if the Visual Studio IDE really is too heavy to run, one can write the code in Notepad or similar and build from the command line using the MSVC toolchain...
Maybe I am sounding like a Visual Studio fanboy here...But I actually avoided using the VS IDE for many years before the current VS 2015 Preview and instead used the Qt Creator IDE. (With the Visual Studio C++ compiler, though.) Creator however got stuck with some C++ parsing issues that were never fixed and it seems those are not going to be fixed anyday soon. But now I am a happy camper with VS2015. :ud:

I haven't seen 2015 yet, have they fixed all that WPF nonsense? How blue is it?

Google answers:

1) No.
2) Very blue. Remains monochromatic.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.

aciddose wrote:I haven't seen 2015 yet, have they fixed all that WPF nonsense? How blue is it?

Google answers:

1) No.
2) Very blue. Remains monochromatic.
Well, the look doesn't bother me, I haven't customized anything else but turn on the dark theme.

I find it a bit hard to move away from this:

It is possible to hack the modern IDE to look similar, but impossible to get it exactly the same. They're focused on doing everything with scalable vector graphics which is great of course, but it seems their configuration is still a bit limited as far as providing the ability to "theme" everything to look like 2010 did.

Xenakios wrote:
abstractcats wrote:I wrote it in the last version of Bloodshed.
What compiler does that come with...? If I recall right, it might be mingw, but is it a recent enough one...? (Like based on gcc 4.8 or so...)

Seriously, just use a recent version of Visual Studio on Windows. That will be the path of least hassle. I bet nobody will be able to tell you for example how to set up a project in Bloodshed to build a VST plugin. Or how to use Juce or IPlug with it. (What is with the name anyway, who would ever name their IDE "Bloodshed"? :x )

I know, Visual Studio is a very big thing to download and install, but that usually is just a one time annoyance to do until the next computer/operating system update...
Sounds right, mingw is builtin. As for the name, bloody developer's fingers? :P
The reason I'm using Bloodshed is, its the one I first tried and I wanted to make sure I still felt comfortable in programming in general. I do, fortunately! Visual Studio, seems to be the way to go.

Any need/benefit in using the Steinberg SDK?

I've recently started using MSVC2013 Community Edition along-side MSVC2008 Express and while the (2013) IDE is quite sluggish, it's still kinda worth it: just being able to run an addon for rainbow parens makes my life 20% better.

edit: the main thing that bothers me personally is that regex-search is ridiculously slow in 2013; the fact that it runs incrementally would be nice, if the sluggish updates didn't make it so confusing to use
Last edited by mystran on Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

aciddose wrote:I find it a bit hard to move away from this:

It is possible to hack the modern IDE to look similar, but impossible to get it exactly the same. They're focused on doing everything with scalable vector graphics which is great of course, but it seems their configuration is still a bit limited as far as providing the ability to "theme" everything to look like 2010 did.
Just remembered! I have a 2009 version. It was very easy to use, it seemed.

Is this the right location?
http://www.visualstudio.com/

abstractcats wrote: Any need/benefit in using the Steinberg SDK?
It's mandatory to obtain that if you want to make VST plugins. (Or a VST plugin host.) However, for example Juce and IPlug use just a couple of header files from that. (Still, you have to get the full SDK since those headers may not be distributed by anyone else but Steinberg.)

Note my subtle hint that you might want to use something like Juce or IPlug to do plugins. Or really, just choose between Juce and IPlug(*). Juce also supports creating standalone applications. With IPlug that seems more unclear what it actually has for that.

(*) Anybody have any comments on VSTGUI, is it worth damn anymore?

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”