Bitwig and OS X bitwig progressively slows

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi.

am I the only that I feel OS X and Bitwig progressively slows when are working on a project? All is slow, bitwig, chrome, os x, everything, then when I close bitwig all it is smoth again. Why?

When, for example, in logic, I charge the DSP meter loading a lot of plugins, Logic and os x it is smooth, why it is different with bitwig? It is a little bit irritating :?

I thought it was just me! I feel exactly the same
-Tristan
MacBook Pro|MacOS Sierra|Bitwig Studio 2.0
UA Apollo Twin| EVE SC207 Monitors|ATH M50x|Focal Spirt Pro|Komplete 10|Push

I wouldn't say Bitwig gets slower for me but it definitely uses more CPU than Logic for simple projects with built-in plugs. When using Bitwig I tend to close other programs and do a "sudo purge" to clear any closed processes lingering in memory.

I don't know if Logic is a fair benchmark, because the same company makes the hardware, OS, and application. Also a lot of the plugins were developed in the 32-bit era where memory/CPU were precious resources. That said, Mainstage 3 is the least efficient audio program I've ever used...

Not sure about your specific case, but it could be a memory issue. When Bitwig is open, how much free memory is available on the machine? If there isn't any, you could be swapping, which will slow everything down.

I have 16Gb RAM. I think I have enough memory. A CPU i7 at 3,4GHz and a SSD.

When I say slow it is not normal with some pauses, it is literally slow. For example resize a window is slow (not in bitwig, on os x) or simple writing here, I see how letters don't appear exactly when I push, it is not smooth, but if I close Bitwig all is smooth again. It is the only program that does that, so clearly the problem is bitwig or something related

i don`t feel that on Mavericks. Wich OS X version are you using?

I'm on Yosemite
-Tristan
MacBook Pro|MacOS Sierra|Bitwig Studio 2.0
UA Apollo Twin| EVE SC207 Monitors|ATH M50x|Focal Spirt Pro|Komplete 10|Push

yea, write to tech support. Don`t know..

i am too on yosemite, but I update this week. In Mountain Lion it does the same.

Running smooth over here.

Mavericks 10.9.3

Pro: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
Mem: 8GB DDR3

OSX 10.9.5
intel duo core 2,53 Ghz
4GB RAM

it runs sometimes a bit laggy, sure, if a small track loop playing and want adding a Track more, click + for add stuff and freeze go on, until the menue is loading, maybe 3-4 seconds.

if a track loop playing and want to edit a wavefile/sample from this tacks, also long loading time...

...but i not testing arround, have some external HDD running (backup, memory, memory), Firefox open and "transmission" working...maybe a reason...

osx 10.9.5
i7 quad turbo
16gb ram
ssd

I am experiencing the exact same problem. I wrote this in another post. I am running mac quad i7 turbo with an ssd on maverick. It seems to be getting worse with each update. This is not normal and it has something to do with BitWig. I have all other apps shut except bigwig running. I can't figure out why it is doing this also but it drives me nuts.

forgot to say, a CPU meter /DSP ist not high, have not look in the ActivityWindow...

I've noticed this too running on Mountain Lion. I left Bitwig open for about an hour whilst browsing the web, came back to it and it was completely unresponsive, had to force quit it.

This happened again after leaving it a few hours and I decided to record a video to file a bug report but it slowly started to go back to normal over about 2 minutes until it was fully responsive again.

There definitely seems to be a memory problem occurring.

No problems here on Yosemite 10.10.1 with the latest RC. Everything runs smooth and very responsive.

Return to “Bitwig”