Arturia's new plugins : Solina V and Matrix 12V

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Matrix 12 V2 Solina V2

Hey amused,

I didn't have anything to do with the MIDI side of things on the M12V so I can't really help you with that one but I have mentioned it to my colleague and we'll have a look at that asap. We used to have the kore 2 interface and I'm pretty sure that if I dig around for it it'll turn up, so we should be able to help you out. Cheers

Toby@Arturia wrote:That's a great idea, I will get a few bits and bobs done tomorrow and post them once I'm done (which will be tomorrow); triangle, saw square and a couple of filter modes sound alright? Anything in particular you would like to see?
That would be great, oscs and filter response as you say, and then maybe a couple of full patches set up the same on both instruments - say, something simple like a fat synth brass or pad, and then something with some complex modulations going on.

That would be really cool of you. :tu:

beely wrote:
Toby@Arturia wrote:That's a great idea, I will get a few bits and bobs done tomorrow and post them once I'm done (which will be tomorrow); triangle, saw square and a couple of filter modes sound alright? Anything in particular you would like to see?
That would be great, oscs and filter response as you say, and then maybe a couple of full patches set up the same on both instruments - say, something simple like a fat synth brass or pad, and then something with some complex modulations going on.

Isn't that great? Arturia was heavily criticized for generic oscillator emulations in the beginning and failing to heed the V2.0 recommendations of one CS-80 expert on this forum. Recently Arturia has been steadily improving as a Co. From adding precisely emulated synths to some brillant hardware designs, and now this level of developer interaction. Be sure to include input from Matrix 12 expert FMR in the v5 Matrix 12V update.
Toby@Arturia wrote:
electro wrote:
Toby@Arturia wrote:
layzer wrote:I'm Toby, I did most of the DSP for the Matrix 12.
What is your level of involvement with the Jupiter 8V?

None whatsoever, J8 V was developed long before my time, but I may be able to help if you have questions about it
It would be nice to get similar audio file postings from the J8V DSP team.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Just noticed there are updates for all of the plugins. Sorry to report that (at least on my PC) the reverb is still causing problems with the Solina V and Vox V. Both are still unusable at lowest latencies.

What gives, Arturia?

:scared:
"Time makes fools of us all. Our only comfort is that greater shall come after us." Eric Temple Bell

http://thetomorrowfile.bandcamp.com/

electro wrote:
beely wrote:

Isn't that great? Arturia was heavily criticized for generic oscillator emulations in the beginning and failing to heed the V2.0 recommendations of one CS-80 expert on this forum. Recently Arturia has been steadily improving as a Co. From adding precisely emulated synths to some brillant hardware designs, and now this level of developer interaction. Be sure to include input from Matrix 12 expert FMR in the v5 Matrix 12V update.
Toby@Arturia wrote:
electro wrote:
Toby@Arturia wrote:
layzer wrote:I'm Toby, I did most of the DSP for the Matrix 12.
What is your level of involvement with the Jupiter 8V?

None whatsoever, J8 V was developed long before my time, but I may be able to help if you have questions about it
It would be nice to get similar audio file postings from the J8V DSP team.
Personally, I have tried both CS-80s.
I purchased the Arturia version, it is a very capable and decent emulation of that old Yamaha behemoth.
I read some of those criticisms way back when...
How unusual, someone criticizing a software company here on KVR.
Imagine that!
Kudos to Arturia for making some great emulations.

This software center thingy really needs an Update All button.

The best CS80 Emulation is the ME80 by memorymoon.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Toby@Arturia wrote:
beely wrote:Toby - would be nice if you could post some side by side audio examples from the M12V and the Matrix-12 you modelled. Also, was the unit you modelled an American or Japanese version..?

Nice to have you here, always good to hear from the developers.

That's a great idea, I will get a few bits and bobs done tomorrow and post them once I'm done (which will be tomorrow); triangle, saw square and a couple of filter modes sound alright? Anything in particular you would like to see?
I forgot to ask you this yesterday:

I actually have no idea if the synth was made in the states or in Japan, do you know how this can be determined?

@Electro,

thanks for the kind words! I'm sorry to say that the jupiter 8 that we modeled didn't belong to us, we returned it to its owner, and the unbelievable part (which I promise is true) is that we returned it yesterday! About seven years later the dude came to pick it up, totally mad to leave a perfectly good Jupiter 8 lying around!

Here is a link to some audio comparisons done by one of our users:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... ia+website

Right, I'm off to do some audio comparisons!

Toby@Arturia wrote:@Electro,

thanks for the kind words! I'm sorry to say that the jupiter 8 that we modeled didn't belong to us, we returned it to its owner, and the unbelievable part (which I promise is true) is that we returned it yesterday! About seven years later the dude came to pick it up, totally mad to leave a perfectly good Jupiter 8 lying around!

Here is a link to some audio comparisons done by one of our users:

Right, I'm off to do some audio comparisons!
SEVEN freakin years?!?! :help: :help: :help:
He is a very generous guy, or has a spare Jupiter 8 and didn't care until he needed 16 Jupiter voices :hyper:
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

Toby@Arturia wrote:I actually have no idea if the synth was made in the states or in Japan, do you know how this can be determined?
Hmm, not sure offhand, I'll have a route around the internets and see what I can find out. Certainly the early M12's were US made, and the later ones had manufacture moved to Japan to reduce costs.

It's always been a bit of a talking point among aficionados, the US made M12's are supposed to sound a bit better than the Japanese versions, but then other people have compared and couldn't find much differences. There are some cheaper internal components, apparently, like the power supply, in the Japanese ones.

It would just be interesting to know which of them was modelled...

Edit: "Take a look at the serial number tag on the back... I happen to know a little Japanese and it says it was made by Hammond Japan (instead of Oberheim in the US). That unit also has some weird side panels which I've never seen on a US unit."

I think that it is safe to presume that our matrix 12 was built in the USA because there is absolutely no japanese anything on it! Also there is a little sticker which says "approved for electrical safety, department of building and safety Los Angeles", so it's pretty likely that it's an american one.

Toby@Arturia wrote:Here is a link to some audio comparisons done by one of our users:

Worth reading up to page 4 where the OP says he cherry picked sounds that were easily replicated and that he'd decided to buy back his recently sold JP8 because, 'the hardware sounds way better'. :ud:

hakey wrote:
Toby@Arturia wrote:Here is a link to some audio comparisons done by one of our users:

Worth reading up to page 4 where the OP says he cherry picked sounds that were easily replicated and that he'd decided to buy back his recently sold JP8 because, 'the hardware sounds way better'. :ud:
So, in that thread, 10 guessed right, 28 guessed wrong (which means 28 thought the software was the hardware - this means something), and there was even a shortcoming evident in the hardware recording, which was the voice stealing, not present in the software (advantage for the software, I guess). And it was stated that, more than anything, it's clever programming of the sounds that matters.

All in all, I think Arturia people do a pretty good job with their emulations, and I'm glad they chose to finally did one of the Matrix-12, even if it is not perfect. I am enjoying it a lot, even if I still didn't manage to get my nags back on the real one (I am still expecting to get it before Christmas vacation end).
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:in that thread, 10 guessed right, 28 guessed wrong
Yep. With an accurate emulation we'd expect a split that was much closer to 50/50.

Return to “Instruments”