BPM Syncing 2 instances of FLstudio without using rewire

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I want to open two separate instances of fruity loops(flstudio ) on the same computer and sync the BPM so they are not out of time. The rewire function within fruity loops is no good for several reasons, namely the master effects of the slave patch are lost, and fruity loops pauses every time you change song and also you cant change the master patch without stopping the mix so you can only change the slave which means you always have to go back to the same master patch (not to mention the pausing - unacceptable live) .
Basically I have a lot of FL tracks I've made over the years and I want to mix them together in a similar way to a DJ would with decks (unfortunately they would not be transferable to ableton)abnd a lot of the stuff is live and improvised and uses things in fruityloops .
The solution I have at the moment is :

Install two virtual midi cables , I used Loopbe and maple.
Open three instances of FLstudio use one as the master (though I think I will use MAx msp as the master in future - basically any application capable of sending a midi signal could be the master) .
Master : Set it to "send master sync" on both mid cables - leave the midi channel 000
On the input midi of two other fruity loops instances enable one for maple port 1 and one for loopbe port1 (do not enable both midi ports on both instances) .

Anyone think of a better/different way of doing this ?
Last edited by Dreamw on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

are you just planning on playing them in song mode and not really doing anything? also, do you have ableton (because you mentioned it)? i ask because you mention you want to mix them dj style. if thats all youre doing just export them out and play the audio in ableton. even if theres some stuff you want to play live...you can still load the vst into ableton and play it there over the rest of the track.

if you rewire inside ableton instead of fl does that help at all?

you can even export out of fl as individual wavs for each part then assemble them back together how you want in ableton. so if you want to play a synth part live...you can export the drums and bass or whatever then play the synth.

im sorry if im not understanding what you need to do. it just sounds kind of complicated to do it the way youre asking as fl isnt meant for that.
ImageImageImage

I think jack for windows can sync to pieces of software.
http://jackaudio.org/jack_on_windows

chaosWyrM wrote:are you just planning on playing them in song mode and not really doing anything? also, do you have ableton (because you mentioned it)? i ask because you mention you want to mix them dj style. if thats all youre doing just export them out and play the audio in ableton. even if theres some stuff you want to play live...you can still load the vst into ableton and play it there over the rest of the track.

if you rewire inside ableton instead of fl does that help at all?

you can even export out of fl as individual wavs for each part then assemble them back together how you want in ableton. so if you want to play a synth part live...you can export the drums and bass or whatever then play the synth.

im sorry if im not understanding what you need to do. it just sounds kind of complicated to do it the way youre asking as fl isnt meant for that.
Thanks for the reply. I didnt explain myself clearly enough perhaps. Its all live - improvised Fruity loops is a kind of musical instrument for me as Ive been using it for years. The prewritten tracks are just kind of bases - they change spontaneously and dramatically during a live performance . If I was just going to export the tracks Id use Traktor or something to mix. The live stuff isn't just vsts - it uses a lot of things in fruity loops so there's absolutely no way these files could be transferred to another DAW- not withing this lifetime anyway (I have over 10,000 tracks !) - I also use ableton by the way but this has to be done in fruity loops.
Last edited by Dreamw on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.

artificial wrote:I think jack for windows can sync to pieces of software.
http://jackaudio.org/jack_on_windows
I had a look and have Jack installed for linux so Im used to Jack - but I couldnt work it out - do you know exactly how it could be done ? Cheers

Hi,

You could try running (one of more instances of) FL as VST inside FL Studio.

You may have to copy the "FL Studio VSTi.dll" to "FL Studio VSTi2.dll" in order to run multiple instances.
Jean-Marie Cannie @ Image-Line - FL Studio

JMC wrote:Hi,

You could try running (one of more instances of) FL as VST inside FL Studio.

You may have to copy the "FL Studio VSTi.dll" to "FL Studio VSTi2.dll" in order to run multiple instances.
The problem is - if you do that - every time you load a new song within rewire - the whole thing pauses. Plus you cannot run two instances of flstudio within the same "mother patch"

there is an MTC wrapper, maybe u will have lucky with it http://forum.image-line.com/viewtopic.php?t=5980 or ... can use the ReaRoute ASIO driver of Reaper to drive them from it
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”