Cheapest realtime tempo matching loop player software

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I need to play drum loops live from a pad controller.

What is the cheapest plugin to be able to accommodate for changing tempo? The tracks for the live set are in the same project (I'm using Reaper), and different tracs have different tempo.

Elastik player would be super, but it can't import samples. UVI Workstation fixes the tempo upon sample import. Kontakt would be fine, altough it's very expensive.

Also, the interface should fit on a 1024x768 laptop screen and work in 32 bit Win7. So Geist and Sampletank 3 are out of the question (and I'm not sure if Geist would do this anyway?)

So what else would there be?

There is now a native plugin for Reaper that allows for a Live like pad for triggering loops, but for now it doesn't support tempo changes... And I need the solution in one month so I can't count on Playtime updating fast enough :P

Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

Hmm, but you have to export samples to MIDI first to keep them in sync when the song tempo changes?

I would prefer something that does time stretching instead, so I would eliminate a lot of steps if I want to work with dozens of loops...

But, hmm I just realized I have Alchemy, I will see if I can go with that.

Mobius might do it (seems to do just about everything)...

http://www.circularlabs.com/

Edit: Oh and it's also donateWare....

Also Independence Pro seems able, and is only around 50€... But does the stripped down cheap version include otherwise the full functionality, the website is a bit unclear on that? I don't care for the soundsets really.

Mobius. Wow, ah, the learning curve seems quite steep, seems interesting though.

Taika-Kim wrote:Hmm, but you have to export samples to MIDI first to keep them in sync when the song tempo changes?
Nope, Vice has an internal play button, the arrow on the header. Been there since version 1.1.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

Ah, thanks, will check that one out too.

Today I tried mapping the loops into Alchemy, and was surprised how good results I got! But the interface is not really designed for this, I practically need to organise the samples beforehand outside Alchemy, and also do the mapping in a text editor since the zone editor in Alchemy is rather clunky...

newsonicarts wrote:
Taika-Kim wrote:Hmm, but you have to export samples to MIDI first to keep them in sync when the song tempo changes?
Nope, Vice has an internal play button, the arrow on the header. Been there since version 1.1.
Vice is a great tool, will do what you want and a lot more, seems to be updated nearly daily now :tu: with new features. Worth a Demo.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

Taika-Kim wrote:Hi, I need to play drum loops live from a pad controller.

What is the cheapest plugin to be able to accommodate for changing tempo? The tracks for the live set are in the same project (I'm using Reaper), and different tracs have different tempo.

Elastik player would be super, but it can't import samples. UVI Workstation fixes the tempo upon sample import. Kontakt would be fine, altough it's very expensive.

Also, the interface should fit on a 1024x768 laptop screen and work in 32 bit Win7. So Geist and Sampletank 3 are out of the question (and I'm not sure if Geist would do this anyway?)

So what else would there be?

There is now a native plugin for Reaper that allows for a Live like pad for triggering loops, but for now it doesn't support tempo changes... And I need the solution in one month so I can't count on Playtime updating fast enough :P
Don't you have a copy of Ableton live lite laying around somewhere?

It's free, I think.. and Rewire..

Taika-Kim wrote:
Mobius. Wow, ah, the learning curve seems quite steep, seems interesting though.
Heh, while I agree for sure (took me a bit just to get a few wav files looping) it does look damn powerful if you take the time to figure it out. Check this guy (he's got a bunch of great vids actually) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NcD5NUrLhg

Well I would have to build the whole live set from ground up again in Live Lite, and wasn't there some pretty heavy limitations with it? I'm quite familiar with Reaper, so I'd prefer to stick to that.

I checked some discussions on Moebius, and it seems it's more geared towards live loop recording and peforming... Somebody said on some discussion that it can't tempo match loops automatically.

Hmm, Vice can hold only one loop at a time? I took a look at the demo and it seems I can't run it only from the Quneo pads... So I think I'll stay with Alchemy, the resynthesized loops sound quite cool actually, and I can do all kinds of strange stuff on them live :)

Return to “Instruments”