My first Software Synthesizer

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Vanguard is a great synth to learn basics from, and i would also recommend synth1 which is a fantastic intro with a wide range of sounds and it's completely free and very cpu light and stable. there are some great freebies out there which you could explore before you start in with the heavyweight stuff.
Vember Surge - amazing
sonigen modular - create your own patches and cable them together in a modular style.
Podolski
Zebrallete ( zebra with one oscillator, great intro to Zebra2 which is a mighty synth)
TyrellN6
Tal Noisemaker, TAL elek7ro, and, esp. for me, TAL u-no 62 ; i use these all the time. simple enough architecture but can get a wide range of sounds.
and again, these are all light on resources and you can run many instances in the same project.
once you have given these a go.. then dive into the deeper waters : )

Hive!

Fckthwrld91 wrote:Okay, i can break down this on 2 Synths.

Its Synth Master vs Zebra2. While Zebra2 seems to have a few features more, its by far more expensive. Synth Master is 50$ at the Moment, while Zebra is 200$. Can somebody who uses both maybe help me here?!
Synthmaster is an excellent synth and an amazing value, but if you have the money (U-He used to do a "dinosaur upgrade" deal where if you sent him a picture of your hardware synth he'd give you a discount, maybe he still does this.) get Zebra 2. Fantastically versatile, great sound and after you've watched a few tutorials you'll get the hang of it no problem.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

It's hard to argue with the people that recommend Komplete. It is indeed awesome and probably the best bang for the buck. Out of all of the synths I have though(which is a lot) my favorite is Camel Audio Alchemy. It runs around $200, but you could probably find it on sale somewhere during the holidays. Has the best-sounding pads I've ever heard. I have never really been that into the NI synths. Another one I will throw out is U-He Diva. If you want something that is as close to an analog synth as possible, that is the best one out there. It is a CPU hog though, so you'll need a good system and a decent amount of RAM.

ANA, Dune2 and Zebra would be on my list. ANA is extremely versatile, sounds great, is easy to program, and full of features, eg 6 oscillators and drawable envelope just for starters. Did I mention that it's really inexpensive compared to the others? It was the one I bought.

Fckthwrld91 wrote:Hello together!

Its Christmas Time and i really want to buy a new/my first Soft Synth this year! :hyper:

I own the Ableton Live Suite, but i am missing something something easy and yet versetaile in my collection, as i dont REALLY like the ableton synths.

I thought a lot about buying NI Komplete, but 500$/€ is way to expensive for me, at the moment, and i think it would be better to have something easier, first. What are the Synths you would recommend? If you would save further and buy NI Komplete, tell me please :) I'd be interested why this would be your choice.

Im into Ambience, Drum n Bass, Trip Hop and stuff like that, if that matters (No Orchestral work for example).

Thanks in advance!

Greetings

Fckthwrld
z3ta2 is great. Plenty to keep you busy for a while.

u-he synths.

Let's think...seeing as how I didn't have a keyboard and wanted one that felt decent ...I'd say my first soft synth was the Arturia Laboratory collection.
Then I retired my Roland GR 707 synth guitar and bought Zebra :-)
Fun way to earn a discount that. Should be more of it.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

Dr. Zigg wrote:Get something free. All commercial synths are overused and will make your sound designing sound completely bland and unoriginal.
If something sounds bland it's because of lack of creativity by the one using them. Don't blame the instruments :wink:
That said, Komplete is absolutely wonderful (bought k10 myself recently) but since the op specifically asked for synth advice, I'd say it's overkill.
Free synths can take you a long way, I've done freeware only tracks quite a few times just for the challenge of it all.
Zebra seems to be a popular choice. It's sounds stunning and there are loads of presets and sound banks available to get you going. I only have Zebra CM and Zebralette but the "real" zebra could very well be my next synth.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”