Studio One or Cubase 8??

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I mainly use Studio One with Maschine. I like Studio One, but my production friend has Cubase 8 and I like it a lot. So currently it's studio one with maschine and komplete 10. Now don't get me wrong I like komplete but the sounds are mediocre. I find myself pulling halionsonic 2 or padshop pro more and more. So would you keep Studio One or sell it? I wanted to get Cubase 8 with groove agent 4 and halion 5. But their have been no updates to halion. Maybe they are discontinuing it.
Setup 1- komplete 10 ultimate, maschine 2, Studio One
Setup 2- Cubase 8, groove agent 4, halion 5 (100 update)

Any suggestions? Maybe wait till the cubase 8 demo and use set-up 1 and then add vst piece by piece? I mainly do R&B, and pop. Thanks.

Well I use Komplete 10 Ultimate with Maschine 2 all inside Cubase 8. I have Halion Sonic 2 and it is great for some things. I also have Groove Agent 4. But for kits, I am all about Battery or Maschine.

I cannot speak for Studio One. You will have to play with Cubase 8 and see if it fits your flow. Halion 5 offers nothing notible over Halion Sonic 2. And while I think it is a good product, it cannot touch Kontakt and the universal support it receives. Keep Setup 1 and add Cubase 8 when you can if you like it enough.

Jon

I don't know what is mediocre about K10, but Padshop doesn't have an equivalent in K land. And, Halion 5 and Kontakt are completely different beasts and have different strengths/weaknesses. Don't blame the tools.

Personally, I'm a Cubase guy .. but I don't know why switching from S1 to Cubase means not using K10 anymore. Also, I'm not a GA4 fan. BFD3, Jamstix and Battery 4 are far more accomplished as far as I'm concerned. Also, again I don't use Maschine, but it should work the same in Cubase as S1. Why not continue to use it?

So really, why ditch anything. You can demo Cubase with your friend. If you like it switch. If not don't. But, none of the plugins are going to quit working.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Sounds in Komplete Ultimate mediocre? Really?

I don't think you've given Komplete the chance it deserves. I have Komplete 9 regular and the wealth and breadth of different sounds you can get from Kontakt, Absynth, FM8, Massive, Monark and Battery are insane. It sounds like you may be a preset user if you "can't get the sounds you want" out of Komplete, or you just don't yet know how to synthesize on those VSTs. I don't know those other options you're talking about, but you should also consider the sheer amount and quality of effects you get with Komplete for mixing, additional sound design and mastering.

As far as DAWs go, you have to find the one that fits your workflow. I just added Studio One and will be doing my arrangement in Live and mixing in Studio One as it's just much better at mixing for the way I work. I like it from that perspective. I've played a bit with the MIDI stuff in Studio One and it could be I'm just not familiar enough with it, but it's nowhere near as easy as Live for me. But, as I said...you've got to find the one that works FOR YOU.

Though I'm watching viddy's on cubase to see "what I've been missing (if anything)" I know studio one fairly well and use it quite a bit. I don't have K10, I have K9.

Some thoughts:

Some NI plugs don't work particularly well in studio one. Though it doesn't effect everyone, it effects enough of us that they are painfully aware of it (and I have the support tickets to prove it) Cubase may handle Kontakt better than studio one. I thought it was worth mentioning.

I don't like kontakt. I used to, but I feel that it just bores me to tears. Especially the built in content. So I understand the desire for "something else" but then again the rest of komplete is FAB! Massive, FM8, battery 4, Monark, just stunning! Even though many of the things haven't been updated in a long time, the stand the test of time. Maybe there is a little "new shinny" placebo happening? Then again, if something inspires you, then that's the ticket ;)

I'm not sure when studio one v3 will be available. But if you are not in a hurry you may want to look into waiting a month or two (like especially with winter namm around the corner) to see if that tickles you.

FWIW, StudioOne has been a living nightmare for me, almost as bad as Sonar in terms of stability, and significantly worse in terms of performance. On Cubase 7.5 now, and being able to do a lot more work with a ginormous range of plugins with far fewer crashes and problems than before. I'd hold off on making the jump to Cubase 8 until they release the demo, but I'd suggest getting Cubase 7.5 with a free upgrade to 8. This way, you can use a stable and reliable DAW now, and once 8 gets an update or two, it should be safe (and rewarding!) to make the jump.

FWIW Studio One has not crashed for me in the last six months. This is the most stable i ever have seen in ten years of using daws.

But: on a friends mac Studio One is crashing every session.
Finally!

I've really never had stability issues in studio one, though I recognize others have. One other thing I forgot to mention in my above post is that studio one is worthless on the resale front. You are better off keeping it and then maybe someday there is an update that appeals?

I have a question:

With C7.5 (and even better with 8 I reckon) there is the "visibility" section. It's something S1 has had (at least in principle) for years. BUT when it comes to the relationship of tracks vs mixer it's ATROCIOUS! Totally and completely unpredictable to the point where muted tracks on one don't show up on the other, colors not matching, not being able to hide specific tracks (or show them) and a really endless montage of frustration.

Since I can't demo 8 right now, I'm not sure if they improve or bork anything but 7.5 looks to be far more (if not completely) efficient here. Thoughts?

I cannot do a comparison with Studio, but with 7.5 the relationship of tracks and mixer is awesome. With Pro 8 I cannot say they have upped the game per se, however the flow that I use is maintained. Colors, mutes, solos, hiding, etc. is fantastic. I can group tracks and even setup mixers to be specific to a class of tracks. Or I can allow it to flow across the board. Tons of options and fast.

Best workflow I have had...it feels like hardware, but in a DAW.

Jon

thejonsolo wrote:I cannot do a comparison with Studio, but with 7.5 the relationship of tracks and mixer is awesome. With Pro 8 I cannot say they have upped the game per se, however the flow that I use is maintained. Colors, mutes, solos, hiding, etc. is fantastic. I can group tracks and even setup mixers to be specific to a class of tracks. Or I can allow it to flow across the board. Tons of options and fast.

Best workflow I have had...it feels like hardware, but in a DAW.

Jon
Interesting. I can work around the CPU issues in S1, but I can't work around this :x Yeah, being able to have a beautiful relationship between (I guess it's called project in cubase? ) and the mixer would be a peach!

You struggle with Cubase projects?

I cut my teeth on Cubase, but that might be my draw. Honestly I am not as objective as I appear. I utilize almost every DAW (except Logic, Studio One, Pro Tools, and Reaper). Cubase feels very natural (compared to Ableton and FL Studio). I love Reason, and really like Maschine. Ableton is cool, but not for everyday tracking.

thejonsolo wrote:You struggle with Cubase projects?

I cut my teeth on Cubase, but that might be my draw. Honestly I am not as objective as I appear. I utilize almost every DAW (except Logic, Studio One, Pro Tools, and Reaper). Cubase feels very natural (compared to Ableton and FL Studio). I love Reason, and really like Maschine. Ableton is cool, but not for everyday tracking.

What I meant was that in studio one it's a real drag with mutes/solos/colors/folders......I mean a real mess between the tracks and the mixer. I can't work around it really well.

Anyways, cubase looks to have this solved. Back to watching viddys. :)

hibidy wrote:What I meant was that in studio one it's a real drag with mutes/solos/colors/folders......I mean a real mess between the tracks and the mixer. I can't work around it really well.
Yes, as soon as you have multiout VSTi in S1, it becomes spaghetti routing - from mixer to busses back to mixer etc. And the extra outs never get a track but just a slot in mixer.

There are some helpers though, to mark a couple of tracks and make/route to a bus etc.

But S1 never felt smooth - for anything.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”