U-HE Hive

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Even so, Urs has mentioned more than once that it's not going to be a spot-on copy of Sylenth, rather inspired by some concepts from it (like cherry-picked featureset and sweet spots galore).

recursive one wrote:- Sylenth patches don't tranlate well. Complete different envelopes behaviour. I'm unable to get this squielchy resonant spitting sound like the infamous arp 303 saw preset, maybe I should try harder.
The envelopes are not at fault here. I was genuinely surprised how well they match in the "Normal" mode (not sure if you've seen the discussion but I liked how Sylenth's envelopes fade in and are a bit more bulky than exponential ones). Up to about 50% you won't hear much of a difference. Above that Sylenth's envelopes become excpetionally long, more so than any synth I know. I kept ours within lengths that I find more reasonable.

The squelchyness of the 303 preset is in part owed to the reduced gain by resonance of Sylenth's filters. The patch puts velocity and an envelope onto the resonance, thereby attenuating filter volume. The resonance itself is a bit all over the place, which you can't match. It bursts out here and there, usually in frequencies that I consider unpleasant. I preferred Hive to have a more solid and controlled behavior.

I would say, Sylenth sounds more "acidic" while Hive has more "oomph" for that kind of sound.

Urs, thanks for the explanations!

I made an acid preset, ineed the resonance behaviour is more contorlled and the overall sound is more coherent, I like it.

(Of course, I didn't expect Hive to sound 100% like Sylenth but for some reason I had the idea that it should behave similarly at similar settings)

https://www.sendspace.com/file/d15udd

Here is the preset, its bitcrushed verion and also my attemps at the supersaw
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote:Urs, thanks for the explanations!

I made an acid preset, ineed the resonance behaviour is more contorlled and the overall sound is more coherent, I like it.

(Of course, I didn't expect Hive to sound 100% like Sylenth but for some reason I had the idea that it should behave similarly at similar settings)

https://www.sendspace.com/file/d15udd

Here is the preset, its bitcrushed verion and also my attemps at the supersaw
Thanks, I'll have a look.

Thing is, we of course had to make decisions. I naturally wanted to use our latest and greatest filter design method, as heard in Bazille. With those filters one can't exactly copy Sylenth. But that also goes both ways, one can't exactly copy Hive with Sylenth either. I'm sure there'll be dozens of "xxx vs. Hive" threads all over the internet, and at some point they'll start asking how to reproduce this and that Hive preset in xxx (well, if we can keep strengthening our copy protection anyway).

Well, I had a quick play for 10 minutes and it already looks like a winner to me. FX parameters modulatable, along with individual ADSR segments... lots of fun ways to add a little colour and saturation... and the arp looks neat too (haven't explored yet). And the prospect of something neat to go in the empty hexagon... hmmm... I think this one will be a big hit for U-HE, just like Bazille. :tu:
Textur for ACE
After Hours for Lounge Lizard EP-4
Prism Sticks for Chromaphone 2

Lovin' it so far .

Just a couple of requests.....

Delay time as a mod destination . BoC style sounds...
Seq Transpose as an mod source .
Chord mod for the arp .
Mod slot as a destination .

brick wrote:Lovin' it so far .

Already there - Delay->Time Scale in drop down for targets
Why not just modulate Osc pitches? (one slot ModMatrix slot can transpose all oscs)
Chord mod for the arp .
Sequncer will have polyphonic option
Brainwrecking, but definitely something I'd love to look into.

brick wrote: Mod slot as a destination .
Yes! Essential for tricks like using modwheel to control autopanning or artificial sidechain made via LFO.When I was programming my Hive patches I missed that possibility badly.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Just checking out the Hive for the first time.
I love it. Simple, easy to patch, and great sound.
Made my first patch with it, and hope I can buy this soon.
Here's the patch if anyone wants it.
https://app.box.com/s/5plkknc6pbid3m7ejfbc

Urs wrote:
brick wrote:Lovin' it so far .

Already there - Delay->Time Scale in drop down for targets
Why not just modulate Osc pitches? (one slot ModMatrix slot can transpose all oscs)
Chord mod for the arp .
Sequncer will have polyphonic option
Brainwrecking, but definitely something I'd love to look into.
Awesome !

"Why not just modulate Osc pitches ?"

Be great to have another bi-polar mod source , and not only for modulating pitch , but all of the parameters . Plus it would be easier to mod osc pitch using Seq Trans , using Seq Gate (Vel) is tricky to hit the notes . Or am I doing it arse ways ?

Please add a low and high cut to the distortion option to only distort certain parts of the frequency spectrum if desired.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Thats what the tone knob does

I fired up Hive again last night and went through the presets again. I came across one that I had made and though "wow! I like that one.". When I realized it was one of mine, I was the man for a little while. That says something good about the design of Hive. I got it and immediately was able to get something going. Ya gotta like that. :party: :tu:
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

From the description of Hive it didn't seem like the kind of synth I would use, but it sounds great and is so simple to dial in!

Here's a little dub track I knocked together using 3 instances for bass/chords/lead, plus Presswerk & Microtonic/Battery for percussion.

https://soundcloud.com/winstontaneous/hunny-dub

Return to “u-he”