New Rob Papen Synth: RAW

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
RAW

4damind wrote:Btw... the U-He Hive is out for public beta testing. The U-He GUI is IMO a lot better compared to this synth.
The GUI is much better but Hive is not a waveshaping or phase distortion synth, it rather seems to be a bit in the league of DUNE or Spire...

4damind wrote:Btw... the U-He Hive is out for public beta testing. The U-He GUI is IMO a lot better compared to this synth.
Oh right, I didn't know it was even out yet (for beta). Cheers for the info! :)

Yeah, similar UI vibe here, but HIVE's is a lot cleaner and looks a lot nicer too.

I wasn't really impressed with the initial sound teasers with Raw. Unlike the few bits that were released for HIVE, that got me really interested. Especially HIVE's acid line with the filter opening up.

I suppose the thing to do is try a demo, but I'm just too stoked about HIVE at the moment, and have spent far too much money this Christmas. :)
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Hive + bitcrusher plugins go long way but it's worth checking out RAW.

ksandvik wrote:Hive + bitcrusher plugins go long way but it's worth checking out RAW.
I actually heard another quick demo from RAW, that sounded pretty cool.

I'm not mad on the interface, but that wouldn't stop me buying a synth if the sound was there. I just wish they'd make an option to make the UI bigger like U-he always do. And I'm sure they've done it with HIVE.

So, I'm going to check out the RAW demo anyway (despite me just buying HIVE). :)
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Wow this is actually an attempt at something! The presets are god awful, but it sounds like it has potential.

I can't find any Blue 2 thread(KVR search is useless), got the demo of that also, sounds incredibly dull and basic, the gui seems way worse than the previous one.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

I wish RPCX better focused on improving sound quality of Blue 2. There ARE some areas where it could be improved. The latest synths all have really clean audio engines, very fast modulations and etc.

But i will definitely check the new synth out.

I'm not sure if this is the right move! Who is the target for this synth?
To be honest, I expected Predator 2 to be the next logical synth.
Anyway, I hope they enlarge their synths GUI. "Big is good" as one commercial here says :)

Eternitysound VST Banks

Glad it comes with Explorer.

watched the RAW walkthru and thought the drawable LFO was a really cool idea (I'd been looking for synths that do this, I mean you can go about it other ways like MSEGs, but drawable LFO right there... nice.)
Tried out the demo, the raw aggressive sound wasn't my thing, it might be good for effects in a dubstep song maybe; I'm generally put off by FM-type sounds anymore anyway, got a Yamaha DX27S back in the day and today kicking myself, I should have got a Roland D50 instead that was also in the store (but FM was so cool and new and could do so many sounds and was the wave of the future, right?) Oh well <sigh>
Last edited by synzh on Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yep! :tu:

Back to Raw ("nice song's title!"). I downloaded the demo and took a fast journey with it for less than 30 mins. The demo is MUCH better than the impression the video gives! IMO the video is the negative side of RAW!

Let's see what I dislike first:
- The BIG monster sound is not there at all. Noise yes, but only noise. It is not like NI Razor or Air Loom. There is no depth, so it might be for robots but not monsters (small annoying monsters, maybe!)
- The GUI resolution is small, but in the video he said that it will be bigger one 3rd and this is exactly what I felt it needs (I hope the demo I tested is not after the enlarging :-o )
- Many annoying "dubstep" presets. They are not good, just noise doesn't mean dubstep. IMO, the synth from Sugar Bytes Cyclop can do much better job in dubstep with far less price (now it is discounted for $69). So, if you are after a dupstep synth, Cyclop is hard to beat IMO, but I'm no dubstep fan, so maybe I'm wrong.
- The name gives the impression of a RAW sound, but I didn't hear that lovely raw sound that for example can be heard from Monark or Diva.
- Only 8 slots for the matrix? or did I miss something?
- too pricey!

Now the positives:
+ Very low cpu usage (less than Hive!).
+ Can do excellent pads
+ Can do excellent bass sounds
+ The filter is awesome! The effects as well are top notch.
+ Excellent Arp
++ The real great thing are the two morphing modulators. When you switch off the loop, you see all the points and can be adjusted. They can add a lot for the already good sounds (ignore the noise/distortion section of the video!).
+ Some great presets, but that to be expected from Rob Papen. The only bad presets IMO those about noise and raw sounds! I suggest to group them all under one folder to avoid them easily ;)
+ Very easy to modify or to create the sound you want. Right clicking has many options and can shorten the modulation.

Well, this is a fast first impression. If it is $99, I would keep playing with the demo and purchase it later, because it is a very good all round synth. It is like some of all Rob Papen synths in one.

So if you are OK with the price, then give the demo a try and ignore the video which gives a bad impression!

How is this a relevant BTW? Hive has no relevance to RAW in terms of design at all and is from a different company. Is its GUI better? Probably, yes. Papen plugins rarely (pretty well never) have pretty GUI's, but still, why don't we just start listing off all the other f**king synths that have better GUI's? We don't because it isn't relevant to this discussion in any way whatsoever.

It is very pricey for what it does. My Synthedit plugins do it better. The presets are not very good for anyone. I could see about $50.

This is not something most people would put into their "studio" for $200.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

What does RAW stand for?:

Rob's Acid Waves
Rob At Work
Rob Against War

I am glad it comes with Delete button!

Sooooo many sounds that sound exactly the same or been done over and over on each synth. I wrote a post somewhere on the page 2 of Instruments forums, titled Raw asking sounds designers to be original. The synth has some nice organ sounds, some nice leads. However...

I went to a dentist the other day for a deep cleaning. That awful sound in your ears when they cleaning and drilling is exactly was reproduced in Raw over and over again. This is sux. If we spend money to buy a synth, we have to use it to justify the expanse. The more cheap sounding synths we have, the worse our music sounds. It is hard to make good music when we have 5 high quality synths, and 50 cheap sounding once. If you like glorifying dental procedures sounds, this is a synth for you. I appreciate industrial music. The machines. I get it. But I am not trying to imitate a metallurgic factory in every song. My neighbor has a metal shop. He likes to work when I sleep. I can sample him through my window. Anybody needs more sounds for RAW? I been deleting sounds left and right. I wish we could rate it with stars as in Spectral. I would rate 60% of sounds 3 and below and delete everything that is not 4 and 5 stars. I have no time to listen the same sounds in different banks- if I want to tweak one sound, I can tweak it myself.

Return to “Instruments”