Now Hive is here, is it RIP Sylenth?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2 Sylenth1

The demos people are posting at the moment have me leaning more to not buying it...

Hopefully I can get to installing the beta today and shake off those directions of conformity.

No, because it doesn't sound much like Sylenth at all. Nothing else in software does - one of the very few softsynths with a genuine character imo.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Is this some kind of "clever" way to get Sylenth some promotion on the back of the Hive launch?

When Lennard adds 16 voices unisono to Sylenth, it will become Super-Sylenth! :party:

"...subtle differences" ~ Aiyn Z
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_CmfFAAF7I

I love the work Urs and everyone at u-he does...but just because u-he puts out a new product doesn't mean that all other products on the market are now obsolete and unusable. Let's not get drunk on u-he kool-aid.

Personally, Hive just isn't doing it for me. Neither did Bazille. Bazille was a synth I really enjoyed in alpha and beta, but by the time the final release came, I cooled to it considerably and didn't buy. I don't think I'm going to get Hive, either. They're both cool synths, but between Zebra and Diva, I think my u-he synth roster is already a bit saturated. Too much overlap between the products. They all have features or benefits that can't be replicated one from the other, something unique about each--just not enough to justify the expense in time and money. Not when I can get something like Serum which is very different than u-he synths. Or something like Spectral, which is kind of off in its own world. Or something like Alchemy, for working with samples. Something where the differences aren't so small, where time spent learning it gives you a 50% difference, rather than a 2% difference.

mutantdog wrote:An obvious baiting topic like this is inevitable so lets start now. With the arrival of Hive will you be saying goodbye to Sylenth?

Personally, i feel its been a case of you-snooze-you-lose. Sylenth was a good synth in its day, it still sounds good now, perhaps a little over-rated (IMO) but it has become dated. While i appreciate much of its charm came from its simplicity the fact that it hasn't had any significant updates in years means it has fallen behind. It hardly inspires confidence in users to see such a ubiquitous piece of software appear to be all-but-abandoned in terms of development.

On the other hand Urs has already stated several possible plans for the future of Hive and, judging by his other plugins at least, ongoing improvements are to be expected. Obviously we can't expect Hive to be as widely used as the-most-p***ted-plugin-ever but for those wanting to spend the money, it feels like a no-brainer between these two.

Any thoughts?
I wondered if Hive would satiate my want to get sylenth1 back over the past few years that I've been 64bit mac. Unfortunately no I don't think so. It isn't really grabbing me. Nice synth, but it doesn't fit that same sweet spot of sylenth1 for me. I'll still end up buying sylenth1 again when it's finally 64bit for the mac.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
I wondered if Hive would satiate my want to get sylenth1 back over the past few years that I've been 64bit mac. Unfortunately no I don't think so. It isn't really grabbing me. Nice synth, but it doesn't fit that same sweet spot of sylenth1 for me. I'll still end up buying sylenth1 again when it's finally 64bit for the mac.
You know, Sylenth works brilliantly on Mac with 32 Lives.

Kriminal wrote:Because there are already 3 threads about hive and hive v sylenth.... ???
VitaminD wrote:I have all three. All three sound different from one another. I will be using all three.
:dog: :lol:

Difference. Only difference.

I don't get the R. I. P. Sylenth stuff. :shrug:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

trimph1 wrote:Difference. Only difference.

i'm now waiting for R.I.P named synth :wink:

KBSoundSmith wrote:I love the work Urs and everyone at u-he does...but just because u-he puts out a new product doesn't mean that all other products on the market are now obsolete and unusable. Let's not get drunk on u-he kool-aid.

... but between Zebra and Diva, I think my u-he synth roster is already a bit saturated.
Zebra2HZ does enough for me. Even Diva seems a little bit of overkill for my needs. I still like it though and doubt if I would recycle it just because of that. Bazille is something I had planned on passing on but then decided on it for educational more than sonic reasons. I consider Hive because of the integrity of the company and present deal (as was a factor in buying Bazille). However, on hearing it quickly becoming pigeonholed into the Sylenth category of another supersaw erectile dysfunction machine, I may completely pass on it just as I have Sylenth.

Krakatau wrote:
trimph1 wrote:Difference. Only difference.

i'm now waiting for R.I.P named synth :wink:
Now Hive is here, is it RIP This Plugin?

Sylenth1 is the Virus of the plugins, it will never RIP. Hive sounds just like a good imitation, that's its aim, I guess?

VitaminD wrote:I have all three. All three sound different from one another. I will be using all three.
:hihi:

Return to “Instruments”