Linux public beta (4408)

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

abique wrote:I'm away until the 29.

I saw this error:
sh: xdg-user-dir: command not found
Which means that you should install xdg-user-dirs. Your distribution probably has a package for it, otherwise the homepage is here: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/xdg-user-dirs

So from what I saw on your video, I'd tell you that your custom vst pathes in ardour seems wrong. You just need one: ~/.vst/u-he. Or if Ardour scans recursively, ~/.vst; which seems to be the case as you got some logs for Ubhik.
Good luck!
Ahh too bad you are away until 29th. But okay.
xdg-user-dirs is a good point to check.

~/.vst is the same like /home/USER/.vst . I chose the path inside ardour "file manager". so it must be correct ..

cellphone typing is hard :D

sonnie wrote:
abique wrote:I'm away until the 29.

I saw this error:
sh: xdg-user-dir: command not found
Which means that you should install xdg-user-dirs. Your distribution probably has a package for it, otherwise the homepage is here: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/xdg-user-dirs

So from what I saw on your video, I'd tell you that your custom vst pathes in ardour seems wrong. You just need one: ~/.vst/u-he. Or if Ardour scans recursively, ~/.vst; which seems to be the case as you got some logs for Ubhik.
Good luck!
Ahh too bad you are away until 29th. But okay.
xdg-user-dirs is a good point to check.

~/.vst is the same like /home/USER/.vst . I chose the path inside ardour "file manager". so it must be correct ..

cellphone typing is hard :D
Ardour doesn't search recursive! You have to add each plugin path.
/home/<user>/.u-he/Diva
/home/<user>/.u-he/Ace
/home/<user>/.u-he/Bazille
/home/<user>/.u-he/Uhbik
/home/<user>/.u-he/Satin

etc.

I've submitted a bugreport for this.

The solution to the Ardour non-recursive searching issue is very simple. The u-he installer puts all the symlinks to the u-he plugins in ~/.vst/u-he. (FYI: ~/ == /home/<user>). Simply do this: cd ~/.vst; mv u-he/*.so .; rmdir u-he.
Ok, it would be better if the u-he installed just put these links in ~/.vst in the first place.

Also, I find that with rev 3284 on kxstudio 14.04 (based on Ubuntu 14.04) that nearly everything works in Carla or Ardour including the newly introduced Hive. However Zebra and Uhbik plugins do not work. These 2 are detected at some level, but if try to use them no connection ports are generated and the native GUI does not work. All previous versions of these plugins had the same problem.

I note that Ardour says this about some of the plugins, like this message for Presswork, however, the plugin seems to work fine in Ardour:
WARNING]: /home/diehl/.vst/Presswerk.64.so: is a VST >= 2.4 - this plugin may or may not function correctly with this version of Ardour.

varpa wrote:The solution to the Ardour non-recursive searching issue is very simple. The u-he installer puts all the symlinks to the u-he plugins in ~/.vst/u-he. (FYI: ~/ == /home/<user>). Simply do this: cd ~/.vst; mv u-he/*.so .; rmdir u-he.
I think it's a bad idea. IIRC, abique told that plugins rely on their placement (for example they can look for presets and other resources by relative path). At least the "${HOME}/.u-he" path is hardcoded somewhere.

varpa wrote: However Zebra and Uhbik plugins do not work. These 2 are detected at some level, but if try to use them no connection ports are generated and the native GUI does not work.
These do work now in Tracktion, still with the shortened gui, and occasional X related vanishing acts, but can be used/tested on eggshells :hihi:

Hive gui in Tracktion on my setup, is still barely responsive, but slightly better than Carla, so I went thru the many linux eyecandy settings, and window placement controls, and turned as many off as I could find, which helped, but it is still not really usable, so more nVidia system tuning will be attempted.
Cheers
Last edited by glokraw on Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I need to get get a bitwig demo going again in a couple days. A lot has improved since the last one I tried, some 1.0x. I should try ardour3 again with the 3284's, it's happily a busy
linux season...

Regarding phantom-one comment that it is a bad idea to move the u-he symlinks from ~/.vst/u-he to ~/.vst one should realise these symlinks point back to the actual locations of the ~/u-he plugin directories so there is no problem moving the symlinks. At least I have encountered no problems seeing all the presets when I run a u-he plugin. Ardour does not even detect the plugin if it is not in ~/.vst so leaving the symlinks in ~/.vst/u-he is a non-starter.

I've also had no issues with links, to /home/.vst. /usr/lib/vst, /usr/local/lib/lxvst

Maybe that other OS is different. Why do I get hungry for spaghetti,
whenever pondering how windows code works? :hihi: :wink:
Cheers

Now I've got all the u-he plugins working in a recent Ardour nightly: 3.5.4040 and kxstudio 14.04. I learned that you have to tell Ardour to scan for VSTs using Edit->Preferences->Plugin. Also for some reason ~/.vst was not scanned so I moved all the plugin symlinks to /usr/lib/vst. Also this post: http://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic ... 2&start=15 says the latest git of qtractor will also support all u-he plugins (at least this git is needed to support Zebra, probably other plugins worked with earlier qtractor versions)

Thanks for the links. Sounds accurate, as an older qtractor 6.3 I have,
has working ACE, Bazille, Podolski, Diva, Satin, and Presswerk, but not Zebra and Uhbiks.

Wouldn't it be great if there were even more collaborations? So many great coders,
but dispersed around the world, and with varied lifestyles, needs, and commitments.
Can you change the Accuracy setting on Diva without a crash? Just to the right of
the master volume knob, for inducing lower cpu use modes)
Cheers

The menu problem i had is fixed with the last nighty build of Ardour3. :D

The next version of qtractor will support shell plugins.

danboid wrote:... I'm so very impressed and grateful - it's very much a big deal to have u-he supporting Linux!
What he said. :)

Best,

dp

I love that you do this. Currently have no Linux computer to test this on ( :( ) but still this was a major influence to convince me to finally get off the fence and buy ACE.

@ Pellen: You can boot a linux from cd/dvd, install/setup audio as needed,
(several are pre-configured for audio) then run the installers, and use the plugins. If you have 2 gig ram or more, it should be plenty.
Cheers

Return to “u-he”