Now Hive is here, is it RIP Sylenth?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2 Sylenth1

@zlatan

That's why I compared Hive with a good meal without spices. To change it to a GREAT meal, you need some spices, herbs or some wine to give it a special flavor.

At the moment, the filters and waveforms are the usual suspects which are already in 1000 other synths. I still hope Urs will add more creative filters, waveforms, different kinds of synthesis, special effects etc.
chk071 wrote:With a synth which sounds good for your kind of thing out of the box, you won't have to work hard, while a synth which doesn't hit the nail will require some work, if you ever get it to sound as you like.
Now let's try to make a 16 voice unisono supersaw lead with a HGFortune synth... :help:

@Tricky-Loops

I agree

While not as robust as Dune2, I do prefer the sonic signature of Hive and it's a lot quicker for me to program and get ideas down fast. Has a nice clear layout. Not to mention the effects section sounds superb too. Is it a Sylenth killer? Nope. But definitely a great compliment.

zlatan wrote:I'm a bit disappointed in this one.After Bazille I expected a next gen "EDM" synth , but to me it doesn't add anything to similar synths like
Dune 2 , Spire , Z3ta 2 and Massive.
Massive and Zeta?... Hive blows them away for me.

Serum is so much better then Massive too.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Robmobius wrote:Massive and Zeta?... Hive blows them away for me.
If you use 16 voices unisono in Hive, it blows everything away, including your neighbors... :hihi:

But if you need different sounds, nothing can beat Z3ta+ 2 which has much more features, waveforms (even custom ones), filters, waveshaping parameters, adjustable envelopes and different kinds of synthesis.

masterhiggins wrote:
Numanoid wrote:If you say so, I believe you
To be accurate, it wasn't meant to be humorous. Simply sarcastic.
OK, is that why you feel you need to sign your posts Sam?

Kaboom75 wrote:Wait till Hive gets 64 unison. :hyper: Well Urs said he might do 32 or 64.

Nice HIVE tutorial here by AiynZahevSounds Nice sound demo @8:50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_CmfFAAF7I
Very nice sounding, informative and entertaining video. Highly recommended. :)

Krakatau wrote:
VitaminD wrote:I have all three. All three sound different from one another. I will be using all three.
:dog: :lol:
Fritze wrote:
VitaminD wrote:I have all three. All three sound different from one another. I will be using all three.
:hihi:

I know.. but they really do sound different! :lol:

And they each layer pretty well in different capacities :ud:

Numanoid wrote:
masterhiggins wrote:
Numanoid wrote:If you say so, I believe you
To be accurate, it wasn't meant to be humorous. Simply sarcastic.
OK, is that why you feel you need to sign your posts Sam?
What's that got to do with this topic? Can't you take your rift to pm, or start a site stuff topic which you lock before people have a chance to respond to, like usual?

What do you think about Hive? Is it a sylenth killer?
:hihi:
Last edited on Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 17 times in total.
:dog: :hihi: :lol:

Fritze wrote:
Kaboom75 wrote:Wait till Hive gets 64 unison. :hyper: Well Urs said he might do 32 or 64.
***MIGHT*** do 32 or 64 .. and I thought he was speaking polyphony not Unison stacking in each oscillator?

If we get 32 or 64 Unison.. I wonder if it would be aurally different?

Tricky-Loops wrote:
Robmobius wrote:Massive and Zeta?... Hive blows them away for me.
If you use 16 voices unisono in Hive, it blows everything away, including your neighbors... :hihi:

But if you need different sounds, nothing can beat Z3ta+ 2 which has much more features, waveforms (even custom ones), filters, waveshaping parameters, adjustable envelopes and different kinds of synthesis.
Hah... Yes, it has a pretty big sound when cranked. :)

Very true to say that about Z3ta+, it has a lot of stuff going for it to be fair and a bazillion presets. I dunno tho', it just lacks something (for me) in terms of the sound. I found it bit dead or something. But it's way more organic then Massive.

Depends what you're after I guess. I'm really looking forward to seeing how Hive will develop too. :tu:
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Robmobius wrote: Very true to say that about Z3ta+, it has a lot of stuff going for it to be fair and a bazillion presets. I dunno tho', it just lacks something (for me) in terms of the sound. I found it bit dead or something. But it's way more organic then Massive.
It's easy to be picky these days. (a positive thing for us :) ) I never liked the sound of the JP8000, but I'd been so happy if I could've bought one for $100, around the end of the 90s! I would've made very un-JP8k sounds with it. :D
(I do like the inspired oscillators in Diva thought :shrug: )

Zeta sounds crunchy/bright yet cold. And the filter resonance is slushy and harsh... that is, to my ears at least.

T-CM11 wrote:
Robmobius wrote: Very true to say that about Z3ta+, it has a lot of stuff going for it to be fair and a bazillion presets. I dunno tho', it just lacks something (for me) in terms of the sound. I found it bit dead or something. But it's way more organic then Massive.
It's easy to be picky these days. (a positive thing for us :) ) I never liked the sound of the JP8000, but I'd been so happy if I could've bought one for $100, around the end of the 90s! I would've made very un-JP8k sounds with it. :D
(I do like the inspired oscillators in Diva thought :shrug: )
Heh... And I love the sound of the JP8000! I wanted one for ages, but figured the maintenance and price just wouldn't be worth it.

As you say, it's all positive because we have our pick! :D

zlatan wrote:Yes ,I expected something that would ADD something different to the already existing line up of EDM favorites in a way that it wouldn't sound the same as what's out already..
It's not the sound, it's the things that one can't see or hear.

I won't argue about sonic properties such as what's fatter, thicker, acidier or so. I don't even think that this matters in any of the discussions. Sylenth sounds great, Lush sounds great, Spire sounds great, Dune sounds great and so does Hive.

We have however looked at all of these synths very carefully. In historical order they have added more and more "layers". Sylenth has 2 layers, Lush has 8, Dune has 8 + unison, Spire has not just layers but also almost something like a tree structure in its tabs. It is as if there was a trend from a small kind of "layer feature" to a more and more complex architecture that we might call "layerism".

Now here's something absolutely cheeky: Hive has no layers tucked away in tabs, but it can do pretty much most sounds that these synths are famous for. Granted, not nearly as deeply as Dune or Spire, and it certainly can't layer as complex as Lush. But if you put them in a row ordered by that trend, Hive would end up before Sylenth.

We've come to the conclusion that ease of use / immediacy is a key factor of Sylenth's popularity, while the trend goes away from that. Other synths can do more, but Sylenth still holds up. So why not do something that's even easier to use (as in: less knobs, less tabbing)? That was our main objective. A fast, streamlined workflow on a single page, with little to no compromise in sonic result.

Return to “Instruments”