U-he's Presswerk or The Glue?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

More patches for Presswerk if someone's interested : https://app.box.com/s/e483xe26e1qzld6dd0op

The link contains some init and "mojo" patches as well of some experiments, besides the emulation patches.
You'll find workflow info within each patch, hope you'll enjoy! :)

Hi all,

OP : sorry to disappoint but I think The Glue and Presswerk can hardly be compared, because we are talking about an emulated interpretation of one piece of hardware from one side ( The Glue, not a 1:1 port of the famed SSL FX G384, perhaps a cleaner variation of the hardware, somehow more reminiscent of the Alan Smart busscomp imho, with much more flexibility than the original if you ask me ) and a rather novel approach to not model any one piece of hardware from the other side, but instead providing building blocks to create ( or try to recreate ) a compressed sound that might refer to analog behaviour and texture in general, or be completely digital neutral.

In fact if you look at the entire u-He offering, it reminds me of a phrase that has been used by a futurist theorician : analog hearts digital minds. Except that here the analog heart is also referring to analog gear, sound and way of working, and not the anatomy. Every u-He product offers some kind of one foot in analog and the other in digital and exploration, all with a healthy dosis of Lego-aspect for those who want to dig deep. Dunno if I am making sense, but am trying :)

The Glue is perfect if you want that familiar buss comp sound, albeit with more flexibility than the hardware which makes it a good allrounder, regardless of style ( the GR range + wet/dry + hpf schain combo is what makes this plugin very good imo, being able to make the compression almost totally inobtrusive, which the hardware can not )

Presswerk has it's full potential being still a work-in-progress, imo because there seems to be 2 concepts that are sometimes working against each other : the great depth of customization vs the simplified views that don't interact well ( maybe the confusion to some users that the "classic" views do not sound like the originals, it is my understanding they are not even trying to emulate the sound )

One thing The Glue and Presswerk have in common : they both sound great! Although The Glue might be a bit easier and quicker to get a sound that is familiar, because there are less settings and because the UI is familiar to almost anybody in audio....

Well that leads us to Presswerk multi-views that I am very fond of, and I realize it's threads like these here where half of it is derailed by semantics and the ever-present-nuisance that exists merely because non-live internet talks can very easily be misinterpreted, as we don't see people's expression or their tone of voice....- but I digress - threads like this one that sabotage the goodwill of the developer - it's a beta guys and gals, it needs to be not "there" yet and have space to evolve! we can consider ourselves lucky that talented designers are here on forums and are trying to work for us, to develop products that enhance and/or accompany our creativity. Right now somewhere on the planet, people are not able to eat, have a roof, let alone be on the internet to browse forums talking about audio gear from their cosy homes...a little perspective fellaz . peace .

@Sascha & Urs : please don't take away the classic views!! those are one of the main reasons I bought Presswerk : that mostly the workflow of the analog counterparts is being presented, but not the sound.
Why? Because I love the fact of abandoning the thinking part of the brain while using the classic views, that everybody knows or is familiar with.
It allows something much more important than emulating a sound to me : being able to focus on "the" sound and forget the interface! That is if you've used any form of the real hardware or emulation ( scratch that...anyone lusting for gear has drooled on pictures of 1176's or LA2a's or Fairchild's and doing so, integrated those GUI in our brain ).
Those classic views 'especially' combined with a sound that does not match the hardware is a gift from above or whatever direction you believe in : it opens up new sounds, easily obtained at that, because it provides different results than you are used to expect with a certain character or texture of a piece of hardware/emu of it. It is damn refreshing!

Come to think that it is not only the sound but also the hardware layout that have made those classics last : they were awesomely designed eye-candy wise, those knobs demand to be turned :)!!

Also : while the majority of devs and people keep "looking" ( pun intended ) for the best 1176, LA2a etc... there are a whole bunch of mighty good hardware compressors that have not been emulated yet, or from which a sound characteristic/workflow has been singled out and integrated in plug in form, and that might be a biiiig breeeeze in plugin land :
* D.W. Fearn VT-7 ( PWM GR control, tube compressor, haven't had the pleasure of hearing one, but ones who've heard have seen the light and praise it's glorious qualities deep into the night )
* Inward Connections VacRac TSL-4 ( unbelievably good on so many sources, it is on my rather-soon-list more than any other hw comp :)
* Distressor ( Also PWM GR control if not mistaken, capable of insane amounts of clean GR, to heavenly smacks )
* Chandler Zener TG12413 ( have 1 but would love several of them :) it has many colors, is a wild beast to tame )
* Chandler Germanium Comp ( same, want 10 of those, for me this is "the" single channel ultimate compressor, as it's vast versatility is only superseded by it's tone )

Regarding the easy classic-view vs the deep customisation possibilities of the main view, I think there might be a workaround to keep all of them and have them play nicely :
* plugin opens in main view ( or a new easy custom minimal view not necessarily hardware-emu inspired, a bit like the Klanghelm DC8c approach which is very good )
* all classic views can "hide or show" the main GUI underneath it ( like opening a drawer vertically on the screen )
* by doing so all the parameters that are in the classic view in the top, are greyed out in the main view beneath it
* important that the switching of views make more sense than now : now you cannot finetune, work under the hood of those classic views.
I always instinctively think that by switching to main view it provides me with deeper editing of the sound I am working on from the classic view, but it is not, it is changing the sound altogether, which I don't like.

Best regards

Nico
"Be good, work hard and all your dreams will come true"

[quote="Urs"][quote="ATS"]There is A LOT of competition for compressors nowadays. And with places like Waves offering very good ones for peanuts I think any new one over $100 is a tough sale for most people.[/quote]
What people really want is an expensive plug-in for less money. A plug-in that's priced 200+ and bought for, say, 99 gets much more attention than a plug-in that is always priced 99. So the ideal plug-in is one that is priced very high and that's always on sale for half the price. Fortunately this kind of marketing is forbidden within Europe - which doesn't really help, because this is the internet and some companies don't give a damn.

As a European company with built-in business ethics we have to find a sweet spot between "expensive enough to be considered pro" and "affordable". At the moment we think that 129$ is that sweet spot even though I have a vague feeling that it may be a tad too cheap.[/quote]

Yes that is a fair price for a high quality product that undergoes public beta testing, that will be supported by top-notch customer service, and that will feature free revisions that will only make it better. The sound and features are in an elite class. Thanks to Urs and team for delivering yet another great product to enhance our musical lives.

Both are great products in unique ways. :)
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Since The Glue's demo works for like 7 days only, I never tested it much. Presswerk is pretty complete, my recordings are weird, though, so I have no real material to test it on.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

Just get the new Tokyo Dawn Kabs compressor and call it a day
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote:Just get the new Tokyo Dawn Kabs compressor and call it a day
for "Glueing"?

If I had to choose just one, I'd say Presswork.

I'm really impressed.

dw

Return to “Effects”