Now Hive is here, is it RIP Sylenth?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2 Sylenth1

Urs wrote:We've come to the conclusion that ease of use / immediacy is a key factor of Sylenth's popularity, while the trend goes away from that. Other synths can do more, but Sylenth still holds up. So why not do something that's even easier to use (as in: less knobs, less tabbing)? That was our main objective. A fast, streamlined workflow on a single page, with little to no compromise in sonic result.
That's true, and that's the reason why Synthmaster, for example, still isn't the go-to synth for most EDM producers - because it is and looks too sophisticated.

On the other hand, Hive is a bit too simple, it needs much more waveforms (or the ability to load custom wave forms or wave tables) and more filter types (why are there always the same types like LP, HP, BP, Peak and BR or Notch, what about some creative filters like in Proteus/Emulator X?). The modulation matrix is nearly perfect, as is the sequencer...

Tricky-Loops wrote: On the other hand, Hive is a bit too simple, it needs much more waveforms (or the ability to load custom wave forms or wave tables) and more filter types (why are there always the same types like LP, HP, BP, Peak and BR or Notch, what about some creative filters like in Proteus/Emulator X?). The modulation matrix is nearly perfect, as is the sequencer...
That depends what you mean by "need". If you mean it needs these in order to be successful, then clearly not since sylenth1 doesn't have more waveforms or filter types. It has less in fact. It really is about immediacy and sound for this type of synth. I think u-he has made a better design, without the tabs for different oscillators. That's incredibly annoying for such a simple synth as sylenth1. Still, personally I would prefer sylenth1 due mainly to it's sound and the fact that it has step arp (Hive just has a sequencer and non stepped arp as far as I can tell). But these are preferences.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:and the fact that it has step arp (Hive just has a sequencer and non stepped arp as far as I can tell). But these are preferences.
What is Step Arp?

Even then Sylenth's step-arp was split annoyingly over two pages. As far as i can tell Hives does everything Sylenth can in this regard with a few extras like shuffle.

OutCider wrote:"With the arrival of Hive will you be saying goodbye to Sylenth?"

Good as it is at it's thing, and clearly loved by the dedicated, I never even said hello to sylenth1.
It needs an update, has for a year or two, and it looks not going to happen. Having said that, it might now Hive is out, which if it occurs, sort of tells a tale about leonard and the customer relationship, which sort of backs up my decision to repeatedly give it a wide berth.

Always good to have a fanbot synth war, so three minute warning and all :borg:
Fanbot? Oi.... :scared: :lol:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Urs wrote: We've come to the conclusion that ease of use / immediacy is a key factor of Sylenth's popularity, while the trend goes away from that. Other synths can do more, but Sylenth still holds up. So why not do something that's even easier to use (as in: less knobs, less tabbing)? That was our main objective. A fast, streamlined workflow on a single page, with little to no compromise in sonic result.
If that was the main goal then I think you did a fantastic job !
It definitely has a super fast and streamlined workflow and I can easily dial in any popular sound very quickly,
BUT after Bazille I was hoping for a bit more in the "new/different" department (which is my own fantasy of course).

That being said ...I just made some specific typical Dutch sounds that I think sound VERY good and there's no doubt that Hive will end up in many of my and other peoples productions.

the fact a new "Sylenth1 Killer" is coming out at least twice a year just demonstrates Sylenth1 is still the milestone 8)

pdxindy wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:and the fact that it has step arp (Hive just has a sequencer and non stepped arp as far as I can tell). But these are preferences.
What is Step Arp?
My lazy way of saying step-sequenced arpeggiator. Like Zebra and Sylenth1 have. As far as i can tell Hive has a sequencer and a separate non-programmable arp.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
What is Step Arp?
My lazy way of saying step-sequenced arpeggiator. Like Zebra and Sylenth1 have. As far as i can tell Hive has a sequencer and a separate non-programmable arp.
But they work together... so the Sequencer IS the programmable part of the Arp.

pdxindy wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
What is Step Arp?
Oh! I thought Urs said they ended up keeping them separate and the sequencer would only gate chords that are being played. If the sequencer can control the arppegiated rhythm, my bad then.

pdxindy wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
What is Step Arp?
Oh! I thought Urs said they ended up keeping them separate and the sequencer would only gate chords that are being played. If the sequencer can control the arppegiated rhythm, my bad then.
The sequencer is not feature complete yet... there is supposed to be some chord function coming (and maybe some other stuff or that may be later too). There are also currently a number of bugs in the Sequencer.

Kaboom75 wrote:Wait till Hive gets 64 unison. :hyper: Well Urs said he might do 32 or 64.

Nice HIVE tutorial here by AiynZahevSounds Nice sound demo @8:50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_CmfFAAF7I
Nice overview thanks for sharing and Aiyn thanks posting (guess we will be hearing some amazing presets from your talent bank no doubt).

Wasn't too sure and still on the fence about hive...not drawing any comparissons as I don't feel there's a need. It's u-he and end of the day it's a no brainer in many cases. Personally having too many synths and plugins (and not enough talent), I wasn't going to go for the plunge. Will take it for a test drive some more after listening to the video, there's some interesting tweaks and sounds that appealed...

Did get a few crashes on first install in Cubase 8, but they seemed to have not reproduced (maybe someone can pipe in does Visual Studio part of Nvidia CUDA, clash with the code of some of the plugin frameworks. Experienced it with Hive and Omnisphere....of course may just be my system!!!

Got to ask...the WIP honeycombs, what's going to happen in that little hive??? Survey coupin to spend...so I nearly decided :)

trimph1 wrote:
OutCider wrote:
Always good to have a fanbot synth war, so three minute warning and all :borg:
Fanbot? Oi.... :scared: :lol:
It's a good name. Only real topic for discussion is now that Fanbot is here, is it rip fanbois? :borg: :lol: :hihi:
:hihi:
Last edited on Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 17 times in total.
:dog: :hihi: :lol:

Only real topic for discussion is now that Fanbot is here, is it rip fanbois?
Everyone knows the analog fanbois are far superior, no fanbot could ever accurately emulate the subtle grammatic nuances of a classic fanboi, fanbots sound cold in comparison.

mutantdog wrote:
Only real topic for discussion is now that Fanbot is here, is it rip fanbois?
Everyone knows the analog fanbois are far superior, no fanbot could ever accurately emulate the subtle grammatic nuances of a classic fanboi, fanbots sound cold in comparison.
Yeah, but once in a mix nobody can hear the difference!

Return to “Instruments”