Your TOP 5 feature requests for Bitwig

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You can also use another track for recording and set it's input to the track with the transposer.
This is confusing ATM since you can't use it in live mode, but the midi is actually recorded just fine the way you want it if I understand the idea correctly.

And of course the Note Receiver add's another possibility. :-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

mangadrive wrote:7. I feel like hitting Ctrl+A with the midi editor open should select the all of the notes. I've deleted my entire project a few times out of habit.

EDIT:

I see that it actually DOES do this, but ONLY if I click the midi data button at the bottom first. I can't just double click a clip and hit ctrl+a to move stuff around.

So it's Click the clip, Hit E, then ctrl+A (But it doesn't always work? Feels really buggy)

All this "focus command" stuff just needs to disappear. If I click on something that means I focused it. The toggle buttons are SUPER wonderful. Just think the mouse click should have "focus command" functionality.
This is one of the most annoying things in bitwig. It deserves a look :)

It's about time this was bumped. Some stuff was already added, some things are planned apparently (like track grouping) but after using this a while and some of the things I've run into:

1) CPU use. Some hosts allow many extra instances to be filtered through even after the initial core is getting a lot of attention, some (like reaper) are totally optimized to where it's nearly impossible to run out of room. Bitwig isn't the worst I've run into, but it runs out of room quickly. Being a guitar player, it seems that amp sims are one of the worst culprits. Also, mulit-outs are not very usable because it's easy to eat an entire project with one multi out source (like ezdrummer or SSD) and then if you add a few instances of something like slate VMR, you are shit outta luck.

2) Speaking of multi outs, one thing that would help is if you could multi out bounce. Meaning of course that all of the outputs are bounced and given separate channels :)

3) I think it's upcoming, but since bitwig has such wonderful time stretching, it's time for audio quantize.

4) Fades. You're on the right track with an xfade for chopped parts, but let's face it, sometimes you need a little extra. Fade handles is the answer. Would love to have an option for s-curves but I'll be tickled if linear is added :D

5) Now that input quantize is an option, would be nice if there were dotted/triplet/swing and of course the much anticipated "groove" option :hihi:

(worthy mentions)

a) time signature track for multiple time sigs. TBH, I'm not sure how this would be implemented consider that bitwig uses the dual paradigm of arranger/clips at once, but it's worth a look. Maybe it's one of those things that won't happen because bitwig is "unique" to other hosts? I also wanted to mention I personally am far less fussed about tempo. I have to say selfishly that I'd rather the time be put to more practical stuff than this because 90% of bitwig users want to be "in time" w/o a free-flowing thing. Not saying everyone, but I think in a poll majority wouldn't use it ;)

b) having a groove pool'ish type thing would be slick. In live (sorry, had to be mentioned) it's really great but you guys are already a step ahead with multiple clips being edited at once. I'd like a groove option. It's not the is all end all, but for some reason, I feel you've discussed it once or twice :D

(the head scratcher)

Freeze. I mean, it would be cool and all, but I much would rather that I alt-drag a file and it's "frozen." If you are referring to saving CPU then please refer to my above posting about CPU. I think bitwig guys are pretty smart, I'm sure they can optimize ;)

All in all I've enjoyed cating around in bitwig. It's been very stable, a good deal of fun and a definite alternative to "other" hosts. But this is my list. I took a while to post it because I wanted to learn it better.

Ghost clips, automation clips, better undo, and ability to undo last loop (during loop recording) like in Studio One.

1) Legato clip playback mode
2) Non-destructive quantize
3) Chord device
4) Multichannel midi support
5) Themes (with colour sliders)

fluxmachina wrote:1) Legato clip playback mode
what do you mean by that? A clip is a clip isn't it? Notes can be played legato, but clips?

this:
INTEGRATED MODULAR SYSTEM

i am sure i have to be patient and it will take its time. and i hope that this "major release" will really be either a freebie or at least will have a very decent price for all the early customers. hoping for a roadmap soon^^.

anttimaatteri wrote:this:
INTEGRATED MODULAR SYSTEM. and i hope that this "major release" will really be either a freebie
Freebie? Not happening. They already mentioned that it would be in Version 2, which would make sense to be a paid upgrade since it is a major upgrade.
anttimaatteri wrote: or at least will have a very decent price for all the early customers.
I'm hoping it will be a decently priced upgrade for ALL customers, early or late.

Would like to chime in with my Top 5:

1. Movie import
2. Proper MIDI Channel support
3. More keyboard shortcuts and APIs
4. Note Expression for third party plugins
5. Cubase-like Expression Maps

anp27 wrote:
INTEGRATED MODULAR SYSTEM. and i hope that this "major release" will really be either a freebie
Freebie? Not happening. They already mentioned that it would be in Version 2, which would make sense to be a paid upgrade since it is a major upgrade.
anttimaatteri wrote: or at least will have a very decent price for all the early customers.
I'm hoping it will be a decently priced upgrade for ALL customers, early or late.
"In the next major release, "anyone with Bitwig Studio will have access" to the integrated Modular System, enabling the modification of existing devices, or the creation and design of entirely new ones."

Quote from their website, doesnt talk about "free", but sounds damn near.
as a long term day one zbrush-user who got free major updates from version 1.5 until 4R7 without any advertising like "anyone with Bitwig Studio will have access",i would be more than disappointed, if i have to pay the same as evryone else buying a brand new license then.
will see what happens.

anttimaatteri wrote:
anp27 wrote:
"In the next major release, "anyone with Bitwig Studio will have access" to the integrated Modular System, enabling the modification of existing devices, or the creation and design of entirely new ones."

Quote from their website, doesnt talk about "free", but sounds damn near.
as a long term day one zbrush-user who got free major updates from version 1.5 until 4R7 without any advertising like "anyone with Bitwig Studio will have access",i would be more than disappointed, if i have to pay the same as evryone else buying a brand new license then.
will see what happens.
There is not really any room for interpretation in that quote. It seems pretty clear to me. "In the next major release, anyone with Bitwig Studio will have access to the integrated Modular System, enabling the modification of existing devices, or the creation and design of entirely new ones."

And we already know the major releases will be a paid upgrade. The reason why it says "anyone with bitwig will have access" is because in Ableton you have to pay a ridiculous amount of money to get the full package. When you buy ableton you still don't get max 4 live! So Bitwig's website is just making it clear that anyone with the next major release will have these features.

I'm happy to support them. The more resources they have, the greater they can make the software.

1) Chord tools... chord track and assistant like in Cubase Pro 8.5
2) Manual typing of CC#s for controller assignments anywhere in Bitwig where you can assign controller, especially in the "Mappings" window
3) MIDI and audio signal flow context sensitive diagram - hooking things together isn't as intuitive as it could be
4) Keyboard parameter mappings update the knobs graphically in real time like lfos do
5) Non Microsoft Surface styled touch version for iPad.
Last edited by Igor Amos on Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

groove pool

anttimaatteri wrote: as a long term day one zbrush-user who got free major updates from version 1.5 until 4R7 without any advertising like "anyone with Bitwig Studio will have access",i would be more than disappointed, if i have to pay the same as evryone else buying a brand new license then.
will see what happens.
(Me too, got zbrush for a silly low price in 2004 and never had to pay for an upgrade since !!!!!) BUT they don't allow licence transfers
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Igor Amos wrote:1) Chord tools... chord track and assistant like in Cubase Pro 8.5
there are fix patterns for thirds, fifths, minor/major triads, inversions etc. on the piano, easier to learn it

https://www.udemy.com/piano-chords/learn/#/

take max 2hours
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Return to “Bitwig”