Looking for a 3 - 4 octave midi keyboard

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just sold my m-audio oxygen61 because it took too much room on my desk, plus I didn't need all the faders and knobs that it came with.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a cheap 3 - 4 octave and minimal (no faders, knobs or pads) midi keyboard? The Korg micro key looks pretty good but i'm also opened for some recommendations. Weighted keys would be nice too.

Head for the nearest music store and demo some models there, will be my suggestion.

A keyboard is personal. I don't see how you will be able to determine if one is right for you without first messing with it.

This was the only way I determined which were wrong for me.

By testing them I was able to find out most of the "cheap" models were so bad I realized I didn't want to go that route.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

I love my Roland A-49. It's literally perfect. I highly recommend it!

NAD wrote:I love my Roland A-49. It's literally perfect. I highly recommend it!
I have the same one and I agree, it is very good :tu: Basic, but good.

The only thing I don't use is that beam control thingy, it is hard to dose 8)

What I would change is the position of the USB connector. It is at the extreme left end of the keyboard and the included USB cord is not thaaat long. Can be a problem if you have a tower computer placed on the floor under the desk. I would put the connector in the middle of the keyboard, that would "extend" the cable by 40cm or so.

dsan@mail.com wrote:Head for the nearest music store and demo some models there, will be my suggestion.

A keyboard is personal. I don't see how you will be able to determine if one is right for you without first messing with it.

This was the only way I determined which were wrong for me.

By testing them I was able to find out most of the "cheap" models were so bad I realized I didn't want to go that route.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
sadly, the only music store in town has a really small selection of midi keyboards :(...
NAD wrote:I love my Roland A-49. It's literally perfect. I highly recommend it!
roland A-49 does look pretty nice. i'm still opened for more suggestions

That's too bad you do not have a store with sufficient inventory.

Well, you got two votes for the A-49 and Roland does have a history of good product. It's gotten decent user reviews.

Still it would be better to find something to play before making a decision.

I use an m-Audio Pro 49 because I found it to be best quality from those my local store had. I wanted the Roland A-300 but they didn't have it at the time and I was sort of in need. I quickly got away from the Nocturn(?) I originally thought I wanted.

Be aware a 49 key board will not take up much less space than your 61 key (2-4 inches from those I looked at online). It sounds from your op that you are wanting something even smaller. I set mine on a kb stand off the desk to open desk top space.

One thing I did realize; within certain price guides (lower end) the quality of the units was about the same from one brand to the next. When you went up the next level, quality improved a lot and was definitely different between brands. Once again at the highest price levels I found consistent quality between brands.

What about users in the area? Any clubs or local bands you could hook up with?

It may take a bit of leg work but I am sure you can find people around with different gears to get some ideas.

Also check out sites like Sweetwater or Musicians' Friend, even Amazon, and read the reviews. It's hard to tell sometimes from these but at least it's something to give you better insight.

I wish you good luck! :tu:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

I recommend one of these...

http://www.nektartech.com/Impact-LX49.

I've got its bigger brother (P6), the LX49 is great bang for the buck ($159 usd).
Peace...
bluzkat

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”